Normal Topic Just took mine (Read 2912 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TOC3P7
New User

Just took mine
Jul 23rd, 2009 at 7:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Luckily I discovered this site and read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector before my polygraph. I just took a polygraph for a position at a local LE agency. So now I'd like to share my experience. 

Let me start by saying I do have a few things in my past but I disclosed them all and they are not disqualifiers. I just personally kinda feel guilty about them. I did choose to use countermeasures because of all the innocent people that I've read about that have "failed". As soon as the pneumo tubes were placed I used the scorable breath counts until they were removed, and the tongue biting technique on the control questions. 

I was led to a room with a plain chair, the "hot seat", and a desk with a laptop on it. I was told to sit in the plain seat and he was going to ask me some more background questions and then he told me there were no surprises; he would cover every question now that he was going to ask on the test. I knew this is where he wanted me to make any new damning admissions. I told him I was comfortable with everything I had disclosed in my background packet and made no new admissions.

He then proceeded into a beautiful diatribe about auto responses and how we can't control them, and used all kinds of scientific words that I can't even remember to explain how the test works. On the inside I was laughing, but on the outside I kept a very interested "amazed at the wonders of science" kind of face.  

He hooked me to the machine and then ran through a series of questions to "calibrate it to me". He asked me if I drank water, had shoes on, had hair etc. Then he told me he would ask me questions about lighting in the room and I was instructed to answer in an untruthful matter regarding them. Such as: do I honestly believe the lights were off right now. I said yes. There were about 4 of those type. I knew those were the control questions. 

He then had me pick a number between 2 and 8. He took painstaking efforts to make sure I knew what my number was by asking me about 5 times in different ways. He told me he was going to ask me sequentially if it was X and I was to say no to all of them. Afterwards he was going to ask me if it was X randomly and I was to answer truthfully. 

He then asked me how important integrity was to police work on a scale of 1 to 10. I told him 10. He asked me what I thought mine was, I said 9. Then he explained as an honest person as I was he was pretty sure I would answer no to the following question, which he asked and then continued to say that he was pretty sure my answer would be....(he left a pause for me to answer what he and I both knew he wanted) and I said no. He told me that was good. 
Then he asked me if I was good at math and he would ask me math questions during the test and I was to do it all in my head and not mumble anything but to clearly say only the right answer out loud. 

I was told now the test was about to begin and to hold still. He plunked a webcam down on the desk pointed to my face and told me to focus on a spot on the wall. He pumped up the BP cuff and started with a water/shoes/hair question. Then a light question, then always following a light question came the relevent question. Was I truthfull about...? He would randomly mix in a hair/shoe/water question. At the end was the math question. We repeated this cycle 2 more times (he explained so they could get an average or something) with small breaks in between to let the blood flow back to my arm. 

After the 3rd round of this he told me the test was done but kept me hooked up to the machine. I guessed a post test interview was coming and I didn't wanna go down that way. He then asked me: of all the questions, which one concerned me. I told him none of them. He asked me, but if I had to pick one, which one would it be. I told him again none of them because I had answered truthfully to them all. To which he replied OK and proceeded to unhook me. 

We had a silent walk to the exit of the building, and that was it. I'll find out soon how it went.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Just took mine
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 8:33pm
Do you have any experience performing polygraph tests?  No?  Then what qualifies you to question the efficacy of the polygraph?  It is widely known, and backed up by thousands of research studies, that the polygraph is 98% accurate!  I'd cite some studies, but I just don't have any handy right now, and I have a terrible headache.

In particular, employment screening tests have sucessfully screened hundreds, if not thousands of "bad" elements from obtaining employment at the FBI/CIA/NSA and LE agencies.  I would post some names but I just don't have them handy right now.

As for countermeasures.  Hah!  They simply do not work and in fact INCREASE your chance of failing!  Doubt GM even mentioned that in his ridiculous book.  It's true.  One study involved 100 college students.  They were given an entire hour to study TLBTLD, and learn the CM techniques therein.  Then  tested and told to employ the CMs.  They were offered a free coffee at Starbucks and some chewing gum if they could successfully fool the examiner.  THEY FAILED! 

You may or may not pass your test, personally, I DON'T CARE.   Just realize you were trying to foil a test based on solid scientific principles, despite what the biased "no nothings" at the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) have reported.  Did you know that the NAS only bothered to include a mere 247 research studies on the polygraph, out of about 120,000 existing studies?  They claimed this was because, in their unqualified opinion, that only 247 studies employed research meeting sufficient scientific research standards.  Well just what would they know about that?  Did any of them complete the grueling 14 week polygraph school.  Have they ever conducted a polygraph test?  No?  Well there you go!

Good Luck, you're gonna need it!

TC

P.S.  Of course I'm kidding!  But polygraphers have actually made these agruments here.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2009 at 9:50pm by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TOC3P7
New User

Re: Just took mine
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 6:38pm
Thier arguments sound so funny when you sum them up like that. Thanks for the good laugh!  Grin

IP Logged

Just took mine

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X