Normal Topic Dismissal after "failing" Psych exam and Psych Interview (Read 8206 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Medic 22
New User

Dismissal after "failing" Psych exam and Psych Interview
Jul 10th, 2009 at 4:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I wish I would have known about this board much earlier! Im not sure I am posting to the right place though as I am new to this site.
I was a finalist for a fire job and went to take the personality/psych exam. It was a series of five or six different tests, abut 800 questions, but not the MMPI. Immediately after, I met with a psychologist. I wasn't worried, I'd been through this process before and it was all good. Maybe I was to confident? Anyway, she got me all turned around in the interview. She asked some crazy questions and I was too honest I guess as I got dismissed and the job offer was revoked. The letter I received stated that I can 'appeal' if want to, and I guess I will, but does anyone know what that process involves and how often are appeals successful. I just feel like if I had a re-do I would do better.  Thanks for any discussion on this topic.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: Dismissal after "failing" Psych exam and Psych Interview
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 8:53pm
Medic 22

Unfortunately you just learned that psychs and polygraphers performs only HR duties. If they don't like you, you don't get the job. You, also, just learned to NEVER give a post-test interview to either. You are only required to take the test. Just take it and get up and walk.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 10:49pm
Awesome. I was not given a choice, just told I was to be at one place at one time for a written test and at another for the interview with a psycologist after. Wouldn't I be immediatly disqualified if I refused to participate? What a racket - what's a girl to do?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:55am
You mean the psycologist didn't administer the test?? Oh well, guess that's called job security.   

It doesn't help when the testee is prettier than the testor either. That's probably why you failed. LOL.  I can't tell you what a girl's to do now.

All seriousness aside, these tests are a bunch of Pelosi anyway.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 12:54pm
"bunch of Pelosi..." That's funny.

Well, I will follow the appeal route and see what happens next. People tell me to not get my hopes up because appeals don't work, but what they hey anyway nothing ventured nothing gained. It would seem though that many good candidates get tossed because of one person and that is an awful lot of power for one person to have over another, especially when they don't really know each other. 
The other job I am applying for is a polygraph requirement, which I initially thought might be better than the personality test and pscyh intervention, but after reading this board I  guess I was wrong. Thanks for the chat and the laugh ...

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:11pm
Medic 22

You're welcome.

I like you cause you're a fighter. GIVE'EM HELL.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 6:35pm
Ha Ha - thanks!
I didn't get where I am without hard work and a little fight.

I am still in a state of denial though that one awful conversation with a psycologist got me disqualified after passing every other exam they handed me. She has too much power.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 6:52pm
I agree with you. I have been saying this for many years now. Both psychs and polygraphers unforunately have the power to ruin a person's employment life. As I have said here many times, this is wrong, wrong, wrong.

IP Logged

Dismissal after "failing" Psych exam and Psych Interview

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X