Normal Topic Just took a polygraph for State Police (Read 5690 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RKM
New User

Just took a polygraph for State Police
Jul 8th, 2009 at 3:39am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi I just took a polygraph involving a burglary that I am a suspect in. I hired an attorney and had a private polygraph ran on me and passed with flying colors is what the examiner said. So my attorney agreed to let me take one for the state police to clear my name. After a pretest interview they gave me a practice test in which involved numbers and I had to write one with me left hand. I was then asked to lie to the number I wrote and I was told that my body was responding well. I took the test and they said I failed. They had a post test interegation in which I told them the exact same thing that I told them before. I had nothing to hide from them and have tried to help assist in any way with their investigation. Now I'm branded as a LIAR and don't know what to do. They are going to the prosecutor tomm. to try and get a warrant for my arrest. They are wanting to charge me with Recieving and transporting stolen property. I just don't understand how I can pass one with flying colors and completley fail another that has to do with the same situation. Can someone please help and give me any advice..........Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Just took a polygraph for State Police
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 5:26am
Quote:
Hi I just took a polygraph involving a burglary that I am a suspect in. I hired an attorney and had a private polygraph ran on me and passed with flying colors is what the examiner said. So my attorney agreed to let me take one for the state police to clear my name.

1.  You attorney is an idiot.

2.  A police polygraph is NOT about clearing your name.  It's all about interrogating you without an attorney present.

Quote:
After a pretest interview they gave me a practice test in which involved numbers and I had to write one with me left hand. I was then asked to lie to the number I wrote and I was told that my body was responding well.

That's NOT a lie!  They TOLD TO DO IT!  Where is the deception in that?  Its just something they have you do to con you into believing in the test!  Common sense!  A lie is when you deliberately DECEIVE somebody by saying something you know is not true.  What they had you do is just a polygraph operator "magic trick".

Quote:
I took the test and they said I failed. They had a post test interegation in which I told them the exact same thing that I told them before. I had nothing to hide from them and have tried to help assist in any way with their investigation. Now I'm branded as a LIAR and don't know what to do.

My friend, the polygraph is an INTERROGATION, not a test for truthfulness.  It's all about interrogating you without an attorney present.  It's about getting to make some sort of confession or to volunteer info in which your attorney, if present, would tell you not to answer.

Quote:
They are going to the prosecutor tomm. to try and get a warrant for my arrest. They are wanting to charge me with Recieving and transporting stolen property.

No they aren't.  Do they have any evidence?  Did you admit to anything?  If all they have is polygraph chart they can't do jack didley shit!  They are probably bluffing you.

Quote:
I just don't understand how I can pass one with flying colors and completley fail another that has to do with the same situation.

Because the test is bogus.  It doesn't measure deception.  It is all about interrogation.  Are you aware of the fact that you don't even have to take it?

A private polygrapher who used to be a Ponca City, OK police detective, who used to post here, gives the following advice to defense attorneys with clients facing a police poly:

If the police examiner gets "aggressive or accusatory" TERMINATE THE TEST.

NO POST TEST INTERROGATION!

Remember, this is from a retired police detective and polygrapher!

My advice is to fire your attorney.  Say NOTHING MORE to police.  If they want to talk to you, insist your NEW attorney is present.  So if they show up at your door without a warrant, and do not arrest you, but just want to "ask you a few more questions" tell them to pack sand and talk to your lawyer!

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 9:30am
Your attorney is an idiot.  You should hire a competent attorney and follow their advice from this point on.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 4:34pm
I was wondering will the police be allowed to mention about the polygraph they administered to me in court. If so can I use the one my attorney gave to contradict what they have found...or said they found. I never saw any charts and they couldn't tell me what questions I peaked on. I thought that was the point of taking it so they could tell what you were lying about. The only evidence they have against me was that I bought stolen property off a guy at a flea market...which I have never seen the guy again. They think I'm trying to hide the guy or something. After I sold one of the things I bought the police came and searched my house and took the other things I bought. I payed fair market value for the merchendise. They estimated the stuff to be worth 3000 dollars new and I had 2300 dollars in it. It was used stuff and was scratched up. I had no clue the stuff was stolen. Now like I said the guy I bought it from is no where to be found and all we know is his first name. The police are all over me and won't stop. They are telling me I need to find this guy and bring him to them.  I have hired one of the best lawyers in the state and a private investigator to help out. I just don't know what they can do to me. I don't have a criminal background at all except for a couple speeding tickets. I'm serving in the military and I have an awesome civilian job. If i get charged with a felony I will lose both of my careers. any info at this point would be helpful........thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:30pm
The fact that they even had you take a polygraph indicates that they probably DID NOT have much evidence against you.

Polygraphs are usually NOT admissible in court.  Anything you said DURING the polygraph CAN be used.  And as I said in my previous post, THAT is the whole point of a polygraphic interrogation.  TO GET YOU TO TALK.

STOP talking to the police!  Refer them to your attorney.  

It is NOT your crappity smacking job to locate the guy you bought the hot stuff from at the flea market.  And it is NOT your job to clear yourself.  It is THEIR job to produce evidence that you stole the stuff and a arrest you.  They need to fish or cut bait!  This is NOT Afghanistan, you have rights!

Take Sargent's advice below.  He used to be a COP!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 8:47pm
RKM,

The following YouTube video is very apropos in your situation. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1kEj8YOGRU

Although I do not agree with some of the things that this attorney says regarding the evolution of polygraphy, his advice is spot on with regard to police polygraph interrogations.

I don't know what criteria you are using when you say that your attorney is "one of the best in the state." Top tier criminal attorneys tend to agree with the lawyer in this video nearly without exception--they NEVER let clients submit to a police run polygraph interrogation.

I strongly suggest that you consider finding another attorney.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 9:36pm
RKM

It would be interesting to see the comparison between the police polygraph chart and your private polygrapher's chart. Your lawyer should demand this along with both polygraphers in attendance to explain their respective charts then critique each others charts.

TC is right on. You have no requirement to help them convict you. Buying stuff at a flea market is no crime even if it is stolen goods. You didn't know it was stolen. People buy stuff at flea markets all the time and I'm sure some of it is stolen goods. Stop worring about it. It would take an idiot jury or judge to convict you. If you are charged and arrested and you are found not guilty, then SUE the police department including the polygrapher. This is the only way this crap is going to be stopped.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:32pm
Thanks guys for all the advice. I really need all the help I can get. My attorney has requested the charts and has an appointed set up between 3 of the best Poligraphers in the area. I anxious to see what their findings are. I know I didn't fail the police polygraph but they are aloud to say what ever they want. I challenged the police to let me take another polygraph with a different police agencie and they denied my request. After some research I found out how stupid these test really are and that all they are wanting is a confession. I will never summit to another one nor will I advice anyone to take one. When I first went to take this one I thought they was very accurate but now that I know 
" The Lie behind the Lie Detector" I realize how unreliable these machines actually are. Well I appreciate all the feedback and I'll try to post what the outcome of the meeting between the poligraphers.......Thank you all

IP Logged

Just took a polygraph for State Police

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X