Normal Topic Another drug use question (Read 4154 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Chase
New User

Another drug use question
Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello,

I am currently pursuing a contract position in Iraq for 1 year. It's an IT position that requires a TS SCI full scope NSA poly. I have my SF 86 sitting in front of me and I am in the process of filling it out. I have my current Secret, former USMC. 

1) I used drugs to include cocaine and ecstasy in the last year and did it in the military as well. Never had employment issues ( I'm only 26) or police issues except for a speeding ticket or 2.    
2) I have no mental problems or credit issues but I am thinking the drug use will disqualify my from getting the clearance. I don't " use" drugs and don't plan to in the future.

3) While in Iraq in support of OIF I participated in a lot of direct action against enemy insurgents in Falluja in 03-04 which resulted in maybe 30-40 killed by my involvement. I was a machine gunner for the USMC.  Will this affect my getting a clearance?

I want to take the next steps and upgrade my clearance but I need to know if I am wasting my time. Thanks all!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Another drug use question
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 9:41pm
Chase.

Don't know about the illegal drug usage.  It has been quite recent.  Just put ALL drug usage down on the application.

As for killing insurgents.  You're applying for a job with NSA, not "Code Pink".  You've got NOTHING to be ashamed of!  I can't imagine how that would affect your chances unless it involved activity outside of the official rules of engagement.

Good Luck,

TC, Retired squid

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cg319
New User

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:39pm
Just joined the board and this thread looks like the most relevent....

My main question involves the post sf 86 interview / background check.  I was completely honest about prior drug use and I anticipate they will ask me for contacts or references to verify.  Is this the case?  I really don't want to give out the names of friends or acquaintences who were present during drug use (some probably still do drugs).  Any guidance or info is appreciated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pixkbi
User

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 8:36pm
hi It seems to me the answer is pretty simple. If they ask (and I'm not sure they will) you can tell you don't want to identify the others and write the job off.. if they don't ask for names don't volunteer

IP Logged

Another drug use question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X