Normal Topic Inconclusive apparently...re-test pending (Read 9823 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Samoset
New User

Inconclusive apparently...re-test pending
Jun 16th, 2009 at 3:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took a polygraph recently for a Fall unpaid internship with the FBI.  I had to venture about 300 miles and 4 hours to get to it. I had all of the things I've read on here happen.  I was accused of trying to use counter measures; criticized for my breathing; asked if I was under the influence of alcohol during the test.  I was all over the place apparently.  I got my name wrong, the day of the week, everything. I must have done the same 7 questions, about 4 times, so basically, I had answer them 28 times, over and over. 

He took off the metal finger sensors twice and had me wipe my hand on my pants twice, finally, he put some rubbery green sticker sensors.

I had to alter my breathing during the exam, causing distress in my body.  During the exam, he raised the pressure of the BP cuff from his chair.  I could feel it get tighter.  Then the last round of questions, the cuff was real tight, not tight as in to hurt me but you could really feel the squeeze.

Then I was accused of having felonies, I answered that i did not and whatever I had told him and the other interviewing agent was all that I had done. I did not even get to the part about espionage.  When I did not have any information to give I was told that it was over and that they wouldn't waste anymore resources on me.  No background check or anything.  The next day I receive a call from an investigator who is going to conduct my BI.  An acquaintance of mine said that even though you flunk, pass, or whatever, they conduct the BI.

He told me he had not heard anything to cancel the BI so he'd just go through it.  I gave him references and talked to him.  He seemed ok.  Last I heard of him was for a question he had about someone I was living with.   

Recently, I received a call to reschudle my poly, but nearer to my location. I had a prior engagement so I was unable to schedule for that time.  I was told then it would probably be next month then and about 4 hours away again, I told her to let me know.  Apparently, it is to be with the same polygrapher or his superior.  During my exam, he would frequently pace around the room and would leave to the next office to seek counsel from his superior as to whether to fail me or give me a inconclusive, but the man was not there

The thing is, I may be moving in another direction and I may get a paying job.  I don't really feel like going through the poly experience again.  The consensus here is to not take the poly.  I am thinking I should bow out of the process altogether.    

Are my instincts correct?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Inconclusive apparently...re-test pending
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 6:46pm
Samoset wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 3:38pm:
Are my instincts correct? 

I think bowing out is the wisest option. As I've mentioned before, given the high failure rate associated with the FBI's pre-employment polygraph screening program and the lifelong adverse consequences associated with a false positive outcome, I think the FBI polygraph is a risk not worth taking. At this point, it's better to have an inconclusive polygraph on your record than a failed one (or a formal accusation of countermeasure use).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 3:06am
Dear Intern applicant,

I would agree with George about just saying no to another polygraph.  The FBI has a distinct history of trying to "prove they were right" with 2nd polygraphs.  It will end up just being a sham trying to persuade you into signing a document confirming something that they can disqualify you with.  This just confirms the "value" and "validity" of the polygraph so they can get a feather in their cap.

The odds of passing a second polygraph are extremely low with the FBI.

I would not recommend the FBI to family or friends strictly based on the insane confidence that the FBI places in the polygraph during their application process.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Samoset
New User

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 11:38pm
I have since followed the advice given to me on here and have withdrawn from the process.  One other individual who had gone through the process and had failed the polygraph got his rejection notice in the mail.

I told him that I had gotten an inconclusive as they had rescheduled me to take another.  He said that they must really be interested in me, which echoed a statement that my BI made as well.   

During the pre-interview, I had told the agent that I had studied and spoke Arabic.  I thought that would interest him but I did not really see a response from him.  When I did see a response was when I told him that I understood and spoke Spanish.  He really perked up then and asked me if I was fluent and some other questions about it.   

After I told my contact via email that I was withdrawing from the process I just got back an email from them stating "Thanks for letting me know."  I never heard from the BI again.

I do know that the BI talked to several references of mine, some were doctors, both PhD's and MD's.  But according to him the contact never gave him the updated references that I gave them.  I even told them one had a heart attack and that he was not a reference of mine anymore because he was out of commission.  Apparently they didn't think that was important and the BI said he was going to go check out his place of business anyway because they hadn't said anything.

Our tax dollars at work it seems.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBernie
User

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:59pm
Samoset wrote on Jul 14th, 2009 at 11:38pm:
I have since followed the advice given to me on here and have withdrawn from the process.  One other individual who had gone through the process and had failed the polygraph got his rejection notice in the mail.

I told him that I had gotten an inconclusive as they had rescheduled me to take another.  He said that they must really be interested in me, which echoed a statement that my BI made as well.  

During the pre-interview, I had told the agent that I had studied and spoke Arabic.  I thought that would interest him but I did not really see a response from him.  When I did see a response was when I told him that I understood and spoke Spanish.  He really perked up then and asked me if I was fluent and some other questions about it.  

After I told my contact via email that I was withdrawing from the process I just got back an email from them stating "Thanks for letting me know."  I never heard from the BI again.

I do know that the BI talked to several references of mine, some were doctors, both PhD's and MD's.  But according to him the contact never gave him the updated references that I gave them.  I even told them one had a heart attack and that he was not a reference of mine anymore because he was out of commission.  Apparently they didn't think that was important and the BI said he was going to go check out his place of business anyway because they hadn't said anything.

Our tax dollars at work it seems.   

I find the experiences on here absolutely incredible.  I can't believe this is happening in the 21st Century!  The entire hiring process is geared to benefit the FBI.  As for the individual, it is intrusive, time consuming, expensive and worst of all, degrading (I meant dehumanizing).  My assessment since going through this process is that it is simply not worth it.  I think this system is designed to take accomplished lyers and sociopaths and exclude the honest people.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Knightshaiid
User

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 4:13pm
BBernie wrote on Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:59pm:
I think this system is designed to take accomplished lyers and sociopaths and exclude the honest people.

Yes, yes it is. And as it keeps up, we're going to be faced with serious security issues in the years to come.

IP Logged

Inconclusive apparently...re-test pending

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X