Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Control Question (Read 16206 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Beanhead
New User

Control Question
Jun 10th, 2009 at 12:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
OK, I am not the smartest apple in the orchard... So if someone take a polygraph with no pre filled emp form or any form for that matter and you get "control" questions like Have you ever cheated in school? or Are you an honest person? These are expected as yes answers. But if you say 
yes and yes then how do you do CM's to those answers? I mean if you do yes to the first question and do CM's then the examiner will see it as a lie, but really, who has not cheated in school. And if you answer yes to the second question and do CM's to it then you are saying you are not an honest person.. I am so confused.......

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Control Question
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 12:40am
The polygraph operator wants you to lie on a control question.  So if the question is "Have you ever lied to a person of authority?", they want you to answer "no", so they can measure your reaction.  They then compare your reaction to your reactions to relevant questions.  If your reaction to a relevant is greater on a control than that to a control, they assume your are lying.  So, you try to artificially INCREASE your reaction by use of CMs when answering CONTROL questions.

Ironically, people who bend over backwards to answer all questions honestly, even if it means admitting to lying to person's or authority, betraying a friend, or other embarassing things contained in control questions, the lower will be their reactions to control questions, and the lower will be their chances of passing.

TC

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 1:00am by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TS Elliot
New User

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 2:29am
Also by trying to increase your reaction to the "control" questions with countermeasures you will most likely also increase the strength of the relevant questions because you will know inside that they are so important and you will not be able to avoid reacting to them. The best you can hope for most of the time with countermeasures is an inconclusive result and you might actually increase your chances of failure. So better to have never read any of this stuff about countermeasures and take the test cold. Just my two cents take it or leave it. But what do I know since I am an evil polygrapher? Muahahaha!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 3:50am
So should ALL control questions be answered with CM's? What if you get "Do you think your an honest person?"  Should you answer as no to increase the control questions even though you are an honest person, or at least think you are

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:07am
Beanhead wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 12:16am:
OK, I am not the smartest apple in the orchard... So if someone take a polygraph with no pre filled emp form or any form for that matter and you get "control" questions like Have you ever cheated in school? or Are you an honest person? These are expected as yes answers.

No. The expected answer to "Have you ever cheated in school?" is "No." If you admit having cheated in school, the polygrapher will move to cut off further admissions. For example, "I hope you weren't a habitual cheater. Research shows that those who would cheat in school are the same kind of people who cheat in the workplace. In our line of work, where lives are on the line, we can't afford that kind of dishonesty. Other than what you told me, did you ever cheat in school?" At this point, it is expected that the examinee will finally answer, "No." But this denial is still assumed to be a probable lie.

The expected answer to, "Are you an honest person?" is indeed "yes." But it is expected that everyone will have doubts about their honesty, as no one is completely honest all the time.

For more on polygraph procedure, see Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:10am
TS Elliot wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 2:29am:
Also by trying to increase your reaction to the "control" questions with countermeasures you will most likely also increase the strength of the relevant questions because you will know inside that they are so important and you will not be able to avoid reacting to them.

This argument makes no sense at all. If one is familiar with polygraph procedure, then one "knows inside" the importance of the relevant questions, whether or not one chooses to augment reactions to the "control" questions.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 5:59pm
During the "Pre Test" when the polygrapher is going over the questions with you, will you answer them then and then in the "In Test" itselfe?
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:04pm by Beanhead »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:49am
I take it you've never conducted a polygraph test in your life, right George? The reason it makes no sense to you is that you have not seen it firsthand like many of us polygraphers have. Knowing polygraph procedure does not help you on the test. In fact when you think you know enough to effect the outcome of the exam with countermeasures you know just enough to ensure that you will either fail the exam or be inconclusive. People who have nothing to hide don't need to use countermeasures, and the people who do have something to hide should not be taking the polygraph in the first place. I have seen this time and time again and it makes it very hard for someone to pass the exam when their head is filled with the garbage that T.M. Cullen suggests above. Sometimes I have to work very hard to help these people through an exam. Usually they don't fail if they really don't have something to hide, but they end up with an inconclusve result due to garbage polygraph charts. If you don't believe me that's your choice but I know because I've walked the walk not just talked the talk like T.M. is doing.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 5:04am
TS,

The flaw in your argument that I pointed out is a logical one, and one doesn't have to be a polygraph operator to see it. You basically argued that if a person uses countermeasures, she's going to involuntarily react more strongly to the relevant questions, too, because she will understand their significance. But the point I'm making is that once a person understands polygraph procedure, then whether or not that person chooses to employ countermeasures, she will still understand the significance of the relevant questions.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 6:04am
Quote:
People who have nothing to hide don't need to use countermeasures, and the people who do have something to hide should not be taking the polygraph in the first place.

That is not logical.

Either countermeasures, correctly applied, work or they don't work. Again, using logic, if they DON'T work, then they won't work irrespective of whether a person has something to hide or not.  Likewise, if they DO work, they will work whether the applicant has something to hide or not.

In a similar vein, there is no DIRECT correlation between telling the truth, and variations in the physiological variables depicted on a polygraph chart.  IOW, you can lie and have a "garbage chart", or you can tell the truth and have a "garbage chart".  This is logical.

Mr. Spock
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009 at 6:25am by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:55pm
Ok let me see if I can explain my argument so you can understand it better. First though, is it safe to assume that neither George nor T.M. have ever conducted a polygraph? If so then your failure to understand what I'm saying makes more sense. I don't want you to think that I am being condescending toward you just because you don't have any experience with the polygraph but sometimes when we represent our statements as fact it lends us more credence when we actually have some experience to know what we are talking about. Does that make sense without offending you? Hope so.
If you have no experience conducting polygraphs then your arguments might sound plausible, George and T.M. But to experienced polygraphers they simply aren't supportable by what we see all the time with actual people.
In Shakespeare's Hamlet, Queen Gertrude, while watching a Queen character in a play says "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Often this line is quoted by people to say that someone is objecting with such exaggeration that they are losing credibility. This isn't what Shakespeare's Queen Gertrude was saying--she was actually saying that the Queen in the play was making vows that were too strong to kept--but the modern interpretation by most people who quote the line will suffice to help explain my point with regard to countermeasures. There is such a thing as a garbage chart, and to any good polygrapher a garbage chart stands out. When there are consistently strong responses to relevant questions at the same time there are what we see as consistent, highly exaggerated responses to comparison questions, it just isn't normal. It's garbage. As they say, garbage in-garbage out. When we go to analyze the chart we very often end up with inconclusive results, yet we know something is amiss because of the consistently strong responses to the relevant questions as well as what we see as trained investigators in outward behavior and verbal clues from the person taking the test. When we see all of this going on, we might say that the subject "doth protest too much."
There are some studies that suggest countermeasures might actually work against a non-deceptive subject and I don't know of any study that provides support for the idea that they will help a non-deceptive subject pass the test. If you know of a good field study that supports your argument then I will be happy to read it though.
That ends today's lesson. I'm sure there is much more to be said but I am tired now.
For next time's lesson I would like to talk about the inconclusive result on a polygraph test because I think there is some confusion not only here on this forum but also with many people who will have to submit to a polygraph test in the near future.
Thank you for your time and cordiality.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:22am
TS Elliot wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:55pm:
If you have no experience conducting polygraphs then your arguments might sound plausible,

This always comes across as rather hollow.  It is often read as "You're wrong, but you don't know enough to understand why you are wrong."

While it is certainly possible for someone to be mistaken about a subject with which they are not familiar, in general I think explanations that follow a logical path will be accepted.  Such explanations are not always forthcoming when the topic is polygraphs.

It seems logical that a person familiar with the polygraph process, and thus able to correctly identify relevant and control questions, will be sensitized to the relevant questions more than a person who is unfamiliar and unable to identify them as such.  It also logically follows that such knowledge is independant of countermeasure use, and therefore could easily be present regardless of whether the examinee chooses to employ countermeasures.

I understand and will admit that the most logical explanation may not always be the correct one, but it will be so an overwhelming percentage of the time.  I think an argument more compelling than, "You don't understand because you're not a polygraph operator" is needed to overcome the obvious logic and common sense in George's earlier answer.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:48pm
Beanhead wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 5:59pm:
During the "Pre Test" when the polygrapher is going over the questions with you, will you answer them then and then in the "In Test" itselfe?
  I really like the conversation going on but could someone please answer my question?  thanks

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 2:55pm
Yes Beanhead, the polygrapher will go over the questions with you in the "Pre Test.

Sergeant, I am glad you are at least open minded about the possibility of sensitization to relevant questions due to a subjects's prior knowledge, and it goes without saying that knowledge can be independant of countermeasures. But there is something I think you misunderstood. Have you ever conducted a polygraph? Although no lab study results I know of can be directly applied to field settings, at least one recent study shows that knowledge of the polygraph does not effect the validity of the test. In case you are curious see

Honts, Charles,R. & Alloway, Wendy R. (2007). Information does not affect the validity of the comparison question test. Legal and Criminal Psychology, 12, 311-320.

So knowledge itself does not effect the validity of the test. But the same study says that knowledge combined with countermeasure attempts have been found to produce more deceptive results. This is what I meant about knowledge increasing reactions to relevant questions--when it is combined with countermeasures. This is why we polygraphers tell subjects to refrain from countermeasures. They very often do not work, and we often either detect the attempts, or the charts are obvious garbage that produce at best an inconclusive result. If you are going to hire people you want those who pass the polygraph and everything else rather than someone who is inconclusive or fails the test.
I know that if you have never been a polygrapher this may "ring hollow" to you as you say. But that is because you are listening to it in your own little vacuum with no practical knowledge but only theory and the opinions of other people like T.M. and George, who I still assume have never been polygraphers too.
No one has answered my question yet. I said that if you know of a good field study to support T.M.'s and Georges' view I would like to read it.
Thank you, good day or night depending on where you are in the world.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 9:22pm
Quote:
Honts, Charles,R. & Alloway, Wendy R. (2007). Information does not affect the validity of the comparison question test. Legal and Criminal Psychology, 12, 311-320.

There was a long thread on this very topic on this board that discussed the merits of the above study, and point/counter point between GM and former APA president Skip Webb.

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1192473646/0

So grab a cup of coffee, turn off your phone or have your secretary hold all calls, and enjoy the above thread, quite interesting.

Note:  If you want to cut down on "eye strain" and are concerned only with the debate of the subject study, I advise readers to just read the posts of GM and Skip Webb, and scroll past everything else.

TC
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2009 at 10:07pm by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Control Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X