Normal Topic What should I tell friends and family? (Read 5128 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thisisnotmyname
New User

What should I tell friends and family?
May 14th, 2009 at 8:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So, I may have found my calling in life.  I recently discovered the world of intelligence analysis and I enjoy it so much it's kind of intoxicating.

But there's a major hitch...

What am I supposed to tell my friends and family?

I'm still a student with at least three more years of studies before realistically applying to the CIA.  It seems reasonable to believe that the less people know about my studies and career goals the better.

I understand that once I actually apply to an Agency they will assist and inform me in this.  But what am I supposed to do with the next three years?

I can't sit around Starbucks reading Silent Warfare and practicing Farsi can I?

I also can't suddenly switch my college major to Intelligence Studies without making everyone suspicious.

Could someone please advise me on this?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box smfischer4
New User

Re: What should I tell friends and family?
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2009 at 3:08am
I believe this is one of the hardest things about working for intelligence organizations, especially the CIA.  You can not discuss work related material outside of work let alone get public recognition.   

Although you might get some raised eye brows from family members when you switch your major, you could generally describe the field you are going into rather than mentioning the Agency by name.  This is definitely a better way to go than trying to keep everything a secret while friends and family get curious.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:31pm
thisisnotmyname wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 8:36pm:
So, I may have found my calling in life.  I recently discovered the world of intelligence analysis and I enjoy it so much it's kind of intoxicating.

But there's a major hitch...

What am I supposed to tell my friends and family?

I'm still a student with at least three more years of studies before realistically applying to the CIA.  It seems reasonable to believe that the less people know about my studies and career goals the better.

I understand that once I actually apply to an Agency they will assist and inform me in this.  But what am I supposed to do with the next three years?

I can't sit around Starbucks reading Silent Warfare and practicing Farsi can I?

I also can't suddenly switch my college major to Intelligence Studies without making everyone suspicious.

Could someone please advise me on this?  Thanks!

My first advice would be do not switch your major to intelligence studies. If your college has such a program, as I infer it must, you might wish to minor in it, but don't major in it unless you're doing a double major in something else with broader applications.

It is foolhardy to plan your life around the assumption that you will have a career in the intelligence field. Consider that the CIA has a polygraph failure rate on the order of 50%. Given the fact that polygraphy has no scientific basis, it's clear that many of those who fail the polygraph and are disqualified are being falsely accused.

You should also consider how intimate a relationship you are willing to have with your government. CIA applicants and employees may be interrogated about the most intimate details of their personal lives. See The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for details.

If you choose to learn Persian (Farsi), I suggest that you do so only if you have a genuine, personal interest in the language, culture, and history of the Persian-speaking peoples. Not because you think it's what the CIA is looking for at the moment. Much can change between now and your graduation three years hence.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thisisnotmyname
New User

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:15pm
Thanks for the warnings.  I understand your strong feelings about the poly and such.  I'm going in with the assumption that I will certainly be interrogated on those intimate details.  I also think that I will have plenty of other options available if the CIA doesn't pass me.

I am very interested in Persian culture/history/politics regardless.

The current atmosphere in the US is such that studying Iran for any reason other than human rights issues or humanities will land me on someone's POI list, so I might as well aim to work for them right off the bat and avoid confusion.

There are plenty of policy research groups and NGO's involved in the same field if the gov route fails.  But I would rather stay out of overt political activity.

I just want to generate info - what the consumers decide to do with it is their damn problem.  At least I get to tell the truth.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2009 at 8:18pm
thisisnotmyname

George gave you good advice. You would do well to listen. Build your major for employment in another field. You have a 50/50 chance of passing national security polygraphs even if you tell the truth. If you fail the poly your chances of ever obtaining a security clearence is nil to nothing. DO NOT let a polygrapher destroy your chances of success.

IP Logged

What should I tell friends and family?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X