Normal Topic Being "Waived" from a Poly? (Read 2203 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box naynaypoly
New User

Being "Waived" from a Poly?
May 11th, 2009 at 7:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm interested in having a career in LE.  I've read a little bit of "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector", and I was interested about the part where I can say that I'm educated on Polygraphs and that I know all the countermeasures.  I read the example where I can be "waived", OR they will go through with the test and (Of course) say I used countermeasures and fail me.

My question is, should I even take the chance with telling them that I'm educated about polygraphs and everything?  Is there a good chance that I'll be "waived" and not have to take it?  Or should I just stick with countermeasures to make sure I don't get caught or get in trouble?  Any help or information on this would be great.

I really wanna be a cop.  But I don't want to get too nervous or whatever and get DQed and then never be able to be a cop again.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Being "Waived" from a Poly?
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:17pm
Quote:
My question is, should I even take the chance with telling them that I'm educated about polygraphs and everything?  Is there a good chance that I'll be "waived" and not have to take it?  Or should I just stick with countermeasures to make sure I don't get caught or get in trouble?  Any help or information on this would be great.

Tell them nothing about your knowledge of the polygraph.  They will use it against you.  Just look at the some of the arrogant and egotistical posts polygraphers have made here.  The worst thing you could do is tell them you know all about the polygraph and what a sham it is!

If asked, just tell them all you know is what you've seen on TV.  That it is very accurate.  If they falsely claim the machine is indicating you are lying, or bothered, and ask you why, convince them  you believe that and are trying hard to think, but just can't come up with any reason why the machine would indicate that.  Stick to it, even if it takes hours or days.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Being "Waived" from a Poly?
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:31pm
In Connecticut passing a polygraph is a statutory requirement for attending the police academy.  If you don't pass one you can't get into the academy, cannot get certification as a police officer, and will never hold a state or municipal law enforcement job in Connecticut.  Polygraphs are never "waived" in CT with regards to police applicants.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Being "Waived" from a Poly?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X