Normal Topic Took my poly for local law enforcement employment. (Read 10023 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rail
New User

Took my poly for local law enforcement employment.
Apr 30th, 2009 at 5:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took the polygraph yesterday and it was a very stressful experience. I followed all the recomendations in the lie behind the lie detector. Arrived early, dressed in a suite, read a mag in the lobby, polite. 

After filling out the questionaire and chatting a bit with the examiner the test started. Directed lie stim test, pick a number, that kind of thing. 

Then the questions. It was a combo test, directed/probable lie controls. He also had me answer a math question at the end of each test with the result always being the same but the question being different; 13x6=78, 6+7x6=78. Any thoughts on what this was about.

He went through the test 3 times then stopped and asked what question bothered my the most. I of course said one of the control questions bothered me, and he replied, what question bothered you the most after that one, so I said one of the relevant questions that I wasn't worried about bothered me. I gave him some BS about why it bothered me and after hammering me about that question he started the final test. 

After the final test he asked if anybody told me how to screw with the test and I said no. He said all these degrees and certificates on the wall don't mean nothing and he suspected from the begining that I was trying to manipulate the test. Of course I said I have no idea what your talking about. He told me he would have to have another examiner look at the test to see what he thinks.

I of course made no admisions to the questions or to the use of countermeasures so I don't think the test will come back as DI. I think the best I can hope for is an inconclusive result.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.Cullen
User

Re: Took my poly for local law enforcement employment.
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:40pm
Rail,

Did any of the questions (relevant or control) ACTUALLY bother you?

If not, I wonder what would have happened if you told him "I wasn't bothered about ANY question?"  Probably would have accused you of being "uncooperative"!   

Quote:
He said all these degrees and certificates on the wall don't mean nothing...

That's just a little polygraph operator arrogance.  Not to worry.  Comes with the turf.  That and claiming to be a Ph'D, where you're not!  Maybe you should have "stroked him a bit" and subtly feigned that you were impressed with all those diplomas and plagues.   Saying something like:

"Hey, I believe you, and I am sure you worked very hard to achieve all those.  No, I'm not trying to manipulate anything.  I'd be stupid to do that.  I heard on TV the polygraph is 98% accurate.  That's impressive!  Theres NO WAY I would mess with those kind of odds.  I can't believe there would be people dumb enuf to try that!"

Don't over do it though, and keep a straight face and try not to barf! Roll Eyes

TC
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:18pm by T.Cullen »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2009 at 6:26pm
Rail wrote on Apr 30th, 2009 at 5:47pm:
I of course made no admisions to the questions or to the use of countermeasures so I don't think the test will come back as DI. I think the best I can hope for is an inconclusive result.  

A very insightful comment, Rail. The best you can hope for is most likely an inconclusive result.  Did you use countermeasures, and if so which relevant questions did you lie about? Oh, so you didn't lie to any of the relevant questions? Then, assuming that you followed TLBTLD's advice, it appears that you screwed yourself.  If you used countermeasures, it appears that the examiner caught you, despite no admissions on your part. If you didn't use countermeasures, perhaps it is that examiner's M.O. to routinely go on a fishing expedition following every exam, which I, as an experienced polygraph examiner, never need or desire to do if an examinee passed the exam. The polygraph examiner's comment that he will have another examiner look at the exam is probably a death sentence for you, since the examiner didn't like what he saw, confronted you about it, and will undoubtedly bring it to the attention of "quality control," who will almost certainly be confirmative. Your only hope is that the examiner gave you the benefit of the doubt, and therefore an "inconclusive" on the exam, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Whatever happened, you took faulty advice from self-portrayed "experts" on this website. They have no practical experience conducting polygraph exams, and most of them have failed a polygraph. They cite second-hand, unsupportable rhetoric as if they know what they are talking about, and you appear to be a possible victim.  A good lesson for other readers.

IP Logged

User

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2009 at 7:39pm
Quote:
Whatever happened, you took faulty advice from self-portrayed "experts" on this website. They have no practical experience conducting polygraph exams,

That is like saying a person who has NO EXPERIENCE in conducting seances or in telling fortunes is not qualified to give advice to a person contemplating using such a service, or questioning the validity of such.

You are the one claiming you can telling truthfulness from deception in "9 out of 10" cases from fluctuations in BP, breathing patterns...etc. in  The onus IS ON YOU to back up your claim, not on us to debunk you (or a fortune teller, snake oil salesman, psyhic healer...etc.).

Here's another example.  "You've never sold used cars Mr.Consumer protection advocate!  You're in no position to give advice or legitimately question  how I make a living!"

TC, "The Pretenders"

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2009 at 9:27pm
And your credentials for making claims about polygraph are . . . 

That's right, you have none.  You've failed three our of four polygraph exams, and yet we're supposed to believe that was a failure of the polygraph process.  You also have absolutely no experience conducting polygraph exams, yet here you are posing as something who knows what he's talking about.

Only on a forum like this with a few like-minded polygraph failures can you pose as an "expert" on the polygraph process, Mr. Cullen. Anywhere else you'd be laughed off the stage.  Well, I can laugh at you even on this one.   Grin  

IP Logged

User

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2009 at 11:04pm
Quote:
And your credentials for making claims about polygraph are . . .

Do you believe gypsy fortune telling in valid (a person's future can be foretold)?  No?  Have you ever been a gypsy fortune teller, or have any credentials in fortune telling?  No?  Then how could you possibly come to that conclusion?

This is the nature of your illogical argument.

TC

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2009 at 11:30pm
The "you are not an expert so your opinion is invalid" is merely an ad hominem attack.   

It is often best to ignore such posts, as they tend to lack substance and in debates are considered an admission that the poster has nothing intelligent with which to respond.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

User

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2009 at 1:56am
Arrogance, pure arrogance.  With a healthy dose of power tripping.

TC

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2009 at 2:33am
Perhaps when a little arrogance is warranted. Unlike the two of you, Sergeant and Cullen, who speak arrogantly as though you have any practical knowledge at all about the polygraph.  Go ahead and mock those with actual experience, but you look like fools because you have none of your own.

"Ad hominem."  Oh, yes, I've read those unoriginal words many times on this forum.  "Ad hominem" seems to be as much of a catch phrase among the ignorant on this forum as the word "pseudoscience." Come up with at least an orginal thought about the subject of polygraph rather than simply parroting George.  His only experience with the polygraph was failing ALL of the relevant questions on his FBI exam, and now he's invested so much of his time and life in this comical little forum that he can't just move on.  Sad, really, but funny sad.

No one here in the "anti-" crowd has any experience whatsoever, yet you've each failed a polygraph exam and expect others to believe it's the process and not you that is the problem. 

Don't worry, boys.  You'll get the last word because you don't know when to admit your ignorance and go away.  I will of course tire of this forum as I have before.  I come around every now and then to ruffle your feathers and laugh at you, and then I find other entertainment.  I haven't met any "anti-" person on this board who has any business at all talking about the polygraph, and I don't expect that to change.

IP Logged

User

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2009 at 3:17am
Quote:
Don't worry, boys.  You'll get the last word because you don't know when to admit your ignorance and go away.  I will of course tire of this forum as I have before.  I come around every now and then to ruffle your feathers and laugh at you, and then I find other entertainment.

Are you going to come back under multiple lame aliases like your pal Sancho Panza (Ed "E.B" VanArsdale)?

Please do come back.  Lurkers need to see occassionaly how arrogant polygraphers really are, and the upside-down logic they use to defend their pseudo-science.

TC

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2009 at 4:12am
Cullen, you sound about as confident as a canary who sings after the cat leaves the room. I know you pretenders are much happier when people with actual experience go away and leave you to your mutual admiration society with no one to address but future polygraph examinees naive enough to come on this website for the first time and address you as experts.

You still haven't answered my question about why you post under two different variations of the same name. I assume that you do that so you won't look as foolish when you write to me as a "new user" as you do when you write to me as an "especially senior user?"

Oh, and it's simply hilarious how you ended your post with the word "pseudo-science."   There's not an original or experienced thought about polygraph in your head, is there?  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rail
New User

Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 4:47pm
Well I took another polygraph test for a different department and I passed no problem. 

I did not use any countermeasures, just got a good nights sleep and went in calm, and relaxed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 2:53am
Dear Rail,

Welcome to the roller coaster ride known as the "polygraph."  No rhyme or reason to the outcome, just the roll of the dice.  Some "operators" will state that you were "failed" because you were tested by a "finger painter" not an "artist".  Sleep has nothing to do with it, being calm has nothing to do with it (many "operators" know that you have to be "not calm" in order to respond and prove your "innocence").  If you are "relaxed" during the test, most "operators" would end the exam as inconclusive or deceptive due to "countermeasure".

As an applicant, it truly is easier and less stressful to just roll the dice and pick four numbers out of the twelve possible to find out if you "pass" the test.

Regards.

IP Logged

Took my poly for local law enforcement employment.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X