Normal Topic Can't tell if I "failed" or not... (Read 2783 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box toohonest
New User

Can't tell if I "failed" or not...
Apr 1st, 2009 at 6:10am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I just had a bad (confusing?) experience with a polygraph while applying to a law enforcement agency in the US.  I'm still hoping to get the job, so I'll try to be as general as possible.

I'm in my early twenties, have a MS in Criminal Justice and knew I wanted to go into the Police since a young age.  As such I have NEVER done drugs, never stolen anything, etc.  I knew there were ways to "trick" polygraphs from movies, etc. but I didn't look any of them up because I also believed an honest person would fly through.

I answered all the questions asked of me during the pre-interview.  I responded to the "worst thing you've ever done" by saying I had downloaded music in my youth (who hasn't?).  There were other basic questions and chit-chat, I felt comfortable.  He adjusted the machinery and off we went.  The cuff was too tight (I have broken bloodvessels on my arm), but I didn't complain.  Whatever.

We finished the test and I was told to write down on a piece of paper how many songs I had downloaded.  I did.  The polygrapher told me he'd be back in a bit.  I waited 20 minutes alone in a room and he comes back and informs me that "[He] and the other reviewers found problems with two questions."

The two things they "found problems with" are MAJOR CRIMES.  Things no sane person would do and then apply for a job as a cop.  I wasn't told I failed the test, but that I failed those specific questions.  I asked what this meant.  I was told I'd hear back in 30 days and that the usual outcome is a second test.

Now, I told the truth about EVERYTHING.  I've never done anything bad, so I had no need to lie.

He told me that in order to "prepare for the second test" that I should talk to him about whatever was bothering me during those two questions that he asked (and I "failed").  Again, they were things that if you do, you get caught and go to jail.  I told him I had absolutely no idea why those would "spike" for me.

So, did I "fail" the test?  Did he just tell me those questions "failed" to see if I'd admit to things after the fact?  I "passed" all the questions about stealing, drug use, etc. apparently, so I have no idea what's actually going on.  I don't know if I should contest it or just sit back and see what happens.  Anyone had a similar experience?  I'm also kinda worried now about having written down that I downloaded music...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Re: Can't tell if I "failed" or not...
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 12:23pm
Personally, I would tell that agency to shove their job up their ass.  They are lying to you, why do you want to go to work for an agency where the first formal contact with you is a bunch of lies?  It will only get worse.

It is obvious that you didn't "fail" the test, but they might think that you should have more to confess, so they are screwing around with you. 

I can understand the attraction to being a cop, but there are other agencies out there who won't treat you like a piece of meat.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jsne24
New User

Re: Can't tell if I "failed" or not...
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 12:55pm
The stories on here continue to amaze me. I am uneducated when it comes to polygraph testing. Or I guess I should say my education is limited given the fact that I have only been doing research on these tests for about a week now. I recently failed a test when I was being 100% honest. 

Check my thread on here. Though my situation is entirely different from yours, the moderators and senior members replied to me with a lot of useful information and various links to further educate you... Here is the link...

Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1238225557

IP Logged

Can't tell if I "failed" or not...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X