Normal Topic polygraph of fiancee of intel agency operative? (Read 3288 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sarella
New User

polygraph of fiancee of intel agency operative?
Apr 1st, 2009 at 1:23am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My fiancee works for a US intelligence agency.  Yes, I know about it, and I have spoken with someone at the agency.

They have asked me to take a polygraph prior to our marriage.  I am told this is standard procedure.  Of course, I do not have to take it, but if I don't and he marries me anyway, I understand that he could lose his job or access to certain assignments.

I really would prefer not to.  I am due to take a professional license exam this year.  Can what they ask/my answers be held against me in other circumstances?  I am nervous because I was told that I cannot have a lawyer present.  BTW, I have nothing to hide; nothing I am specifically worried about, but I am nervous about what might happen once I am in there with their interrogators.

Any advice?  What are they looking for?  Instances of pillow talk where he told me state secrets?  I have asked him but I would like some other opinions.  

Also, anyone else had to do this or heard of this being done?  Is this standard procedure or do you think they are after soemthing specific?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:14am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Re: polygraph of fiancee of intel agency operative?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:17am
This post was altered to remove details that would uniquely identify the author. 

Posters are reminded to remember that polygraph operators are very regular readers of this message board! Posts about upcoming examinations should be vague enough to prevent identification of the poster.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: polygraph of fiancee of intel agency operative?
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 6:27am
Sarella,

You ask:

Quote:
Can what they ask/my answers be held against me in other circumstances?

Yes. Say, for example, you eventually apply for a job that requires a security clearance. In that context, the results of your CIA polygraph and any admissions you made, and/or the polygraph interrogator's (not necessarily accurate) characterization of anything you told him/her, may come up.

Quote:
Any advice?

Yes. Educate yourself. You'll find a thorough debunking of polygraphy in our free book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which you can download as a PDF file here:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

It will forewarn you about the trickery that will be employed against you as part of the polygraph process.

Quote:
What are they looking for?  Instances of pillow talk where he told me state secrets?

I think that their key concern will be that you are not an agent of a foreign intelligence service. You can expect to be asked about any close and continuing relationships with anyone from another country, and any foreign travel or interests you may have. You may also be asked about the kinds of things your fiancé has discussed with you.

Some CIA applicants/employees get interrogated about their sex lives. I think it is less common for fiancés/spouses to be asked such questions, but see Daniel Jeffrys' article "Would I Lie to You?" about some of the questions that the CIA's female employees have been asked:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/would-i-lie-to-you-1354469.html

Quote:
Also, anyone else had to do this or heard of this being done?

Yes, I've heard of this being done before, and the practice is mentioned in Daniel Jeffrys' article. I would not assume that you've been singled out for special scrutiny. But polygraph "testing" is a degrading process and an insult to your intelligence. If I were in your shoes, I would refuse the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

polygraph of fiancee of intel agency operative?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X