Normal Topic Passed NSA then failed FBI (Read 4304 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box imustbecrazy
New User

Passed NSA then failed FBI
Mar 26th, 2009 at 12:51am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Several years back I worked at the NSA as a contractor. Successfully made it through the FS Poly process.  Worked there for several years, then company moved me over to a DIA project.  Stayed at DIA until company asked me to work an FBI project, now this is where my encounter with the Lie Box puts me in the “collateral damage” category.

I go on to the project and after a period of time I come up for a CI poly.  No problem I've been through NSA FS poly successfully, right?  WRONG!

I won't bore everyone with how good of a person I am, but just want to say I am not a terrorist or spy and I did not lie about anything on the FBI CI poly.  I never thought this 'False Positive' thing could happen to me, but I can clearly see that I am not alone.  I had no admissions because there was nothing to admit to.  Also, I never researched polys prior to this happening to me.

Anyway, from reading the posts here it looks like I'll have some black mark show up on my next PR update.  From what I've read here I'll have something come up like an unresolved FBI poly.

I have an unbelievable job opportunity with another company on an NSA project.  I would love to have this job and part of me feels like this is my chance to show the inept polygraphers at the bureau that they got it wrong.  Part of me says that I must be crazy for even considering this after how bad I felt after the false positive on the FBI poly.

Does anyone know how the NSA will view my failed FBI poly considering I once worked at the NSA and previously passed their tests?

Any advice welcome and if you think I'm crazy feel free to let me know.  I really don't know what to do here.  I do have a job and feel I can stay employed outside of the possibly career-killing poly environment.

Thanks,
MustBeCrazy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Passed NSA then failed FBI
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 1:33am
Why did you even have to take an FBI poly, the you failed, if you had a passed polygraph on your record at NSA?  Doesn't the FBI accept NSA polygtraphs?  I went through employment processing at both NSA and CIA in 1995.  I went to NSA first.  Passed their poly.  When I went through screening at CIA a few months later, they did not require me to take a poly there, since I had a passed polygraph on record at NSA?

Quote:
Does anyone know how the NSA will view my failed FBI poly considering I once worked at the NSA and previously passed their tests?

When you say "NSA" do you mean the agency as a whole, or the Security/polygraph folks at that agency?  There is a difference.
You probably mean their polygraph dept.  Just remember, polygraphers stick together, don't bad mouth FBI polygraph chart gazers when you go in for a polygraph at NSA.  They all belong to the same "high priesthood".  As such, they are very sensitive to ANY criticism of the polygraph.  They may not show it openly, but they are, believe me.

You will have to report the failed polygraph on your security application at the NSA.  At least now, you can read the "lie behind the lie detector", and go in educated.

So you made absolutely NO admissions to the FBI polygraphers, and disclosed NO "eyebrow raising" info to them?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box imustbecrazy
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:50pm
Of course I'll disclose the poly encounter, but my real question is once I disclose it does this automatically disqualify me?  They could say "No thanks, you have an unresolved poly on your record we do not even want to begin processing you?"  Knowing I used to work there with a FS, years ago, and have been cleared throughout my career.

T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 26th, 2009 at 1:33am:
Why did you even have to take an FBI poly, the you failed, if you had a passed polygraph on your record at NSA?

T.M.  First, thanks for the reply!  I guess because it had been several years since working at NSA.  From what I understood everyone coming in without a recent poly would have to take the FBI poly. 

When you say "NSA" do you mean the agency as a whole, or the Security/polygraph folks at that agency?There is a difference.

I'm really not sure, but yes I think I meant the poly group at the agency.

So you made absolutely NO admissions to the FBI polygraphers, and disclosed NO "eyebrow raising" info to them?

Yes, correct.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 10:30pm
Quote:
but my real question is once I disclose it does this automatically disqualify me?  They could say "No thanks, you have an unresolved poly on your record we do not even want to begin processing you?"  Knowing I used to work there with a FS, years ago, and have been cleared throughout my career

You won't know that unless you try by applying. If NSA does polygraph you, continue to tell the truth, and don't make any admission, or volunteer any info they can twist and distort and turn into a disqualifying admission.  And if they tell you that the polygraph machine is 98% accurate (like they told me) just smile, and try not to laugh or puke!

If they mention the FBI polygraph, just tell them all you know is that you told the truth.  Was the FBI poly a "fail" or "inconclusive"?

And don't tell them you've researched the polygraph or come to this website.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Passed NSA then failed FBI

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X