Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Examiner Tactics? Am I a bad subject? or FAIL? (Read 16067 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box zomboo
New User

Examiner Tactics? Am I a bad subject? or FAIL?
Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
This one is REALLY long, but I need help. I was really left confused and don't know what to think.

I took a polygraph exam for a law enforcement position a day ago and the whole situation was just odd, from start to finish. I have previous law enforcement experience and have "passed" 2 polygraphs before. So I wasn't worried at all and everything was on the table regarding my past.(I was more worried about my upcoming bloodwork - I have high cholesterol)

We started with the usual hour and a half sit-down just talking and getting to know each other; sharing stories about our kids, hobbies etc. Then of course we went over all the questions in my history packet and the examiner selected a few questions and went over the specific ones with me that would be asked on the test. (12 questions to be exact)

Then the examiner told me they had to "make a phone call" and that I should go to the bathroom, get a drink of water and wait in the lobby for about 20 minutes. So I went and waited.

The examiner returned and brought me back to the room, but the chair I had been sitting in was gone. Instead, it had been changed to a high-backed chair with huge arms on it (I had never done one in a chair like this before) and it had pads on the back, seat, and arms. (I was told they were motion sensors)and the damn thing was horribly uncomfortable.

I made a joke about, "Wow! Now this is a torture chair!" but the previously lovable, kind-natured examiner didnt even acknowledge the joke and just plainly said, "Sit down" and began strapping me in.

He/she said they were going to calibrate the instrument to me. I was told to sit still and stare at the wall. After a few minutes, I was handed a pen & pad and told to write a number between 4 and 8. I wrote the number 8.

The examiner snatched the pad from my hand and said very angrily, "I can see we're already going to have problems. You can't even follow simple directions."

I was shocked. I asked what do you mean?

He/she stated, I told you to pick a number between 4 and 8. This is what you picked. Is this number between 4 and 8?

I said yes. 
He said no. 8 is not between 4 and 8.

I stated that normally when someone asked for a number between 1 and 10, that the numbers 1 and 10 are usually included in that range.

They said, "fine. We'll use this number."

Then they told me that they were going to ask me what my number was. I was told to answer "no" to everything. So it came and went and I said, "No" to everything.

Is your number 4? no. Is your number 5? no. Is your number 6? no. Is your number 7? no. Is your number 8? no. Is your number 9? no.

As I finished saying no to 9, the examiner reached over and popped the blood pressure cuff off my arm and said, "you know what. We're gonna stop right here." 

Heturned the computer off and plainly asked, "What is your problem?" I replied, "nothing. Why?" He said obviously there is something wrong because I asked you to do 3 simple things and you can't even do that.

He/she then said, "I need to excuse myself for a minute" and left the room.

The examiner came back about 5-10 minutes later with a sergeant. They both then proceeded to tell me that I was purposely trying to decieve the instrument. I was told that I was moving, that I was controlling my breathing, and that I wasnt focusing on the questions like I was instructed.

The sergeant then accused me of going to a seminar to learn how to beat a lie detector. (A seminar? Really?) She then said that I must have researched it on the internet or something. (of course it wasn't true. I wasnt even half-way concerned about this test; I had passed them with no problems before)

I was then told that I was lying and that my "numbers" on the machine were all over the place and they could tell that I was purposely trying to control my breathing.

The examiner kept asking me why I was lying; over and over. She then said something like, "I'm not going to sit here til 4 o'clock while you decide if you're gonna tell me the truth or not"... After about 15 minutes of these accusations, the sergeant left and was like, "oh well. its your test. go fail it". and with that, we started the test with the real questions.

Each time I finished a series of questions though, the examiner would shake her head, turn off the computer and leave the room in a huff. I really felt that I was doing something wrong.

He/She also changed the "electrodes" on my hand several times. The first series of questions they used the typical metal finger probes... then they changed them and put electrodes on my wrist for the 2nd series of questions... then for the 3rd, they changed them again and put these big pads on my hand.
(what was that all about? any ideas?)

When all was said and done, she left the room to "see if we have enough data to score."

He/She came back and asked if I reacted to any questions. I said nope. I was nervious and felt kinda stiff, but I think I felt the same for all the questions.

I was then asked if I needed to change anything. Of course I don't.

I was then told that it appears I "reacted" to the question of "are you involved in any criminal activity?" I was flabbergasted. I said nope, I told you everything.(insert history) At this point, the examiner said, "You're a liar. Thats why we had the problems at the start of the test.... because you are purposely trying to hide something you dont want us to find out.
"What is it?"

I sat and thought... there is nothing. So I said, "there is nothing more."

Then I was given "one more chance"

The examiner finally said, "ok. fine. I think you are hiding something and that's what my report is going to say. My supervisor will go over it, but he never changes what I find"

But then he/she said something that confused me more, he said, "This doesnt mean you fail. You still need to stay in contact with your background investigator" blah blah blah. (So I didn't fail? What? I thought I "reacted" to something. Doesnt that mean a Fail?)

Then he/she made some off-color remark about "only helping those that can be honest and tell the truth"

OK. Seriously?
I am so confused.

Are these strong-arm tactics an examiner uses? Is it something they do to knock you off-guard or something? Was it purporely done to make me worry? So that I run to my investigator and confess some random sins?

I have never felt such anger and resentment during a polygraph. I honestly felt that I was under attack.

I know this is LONG, and I apologize, but some professional opinions would really help. This has just left me completely confused about everything. Thanks in advance, guys.

Sincerly,
Confused.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Examiner Tactics? Am I a bad subject? or FAIL?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:38pm
zomboo,

Based on your account (the initial accusation of countermeasure use, the direct accusation of deception, and the demand for admissions), it sounds as if you failed. Yet at the end, when the polygrapher said "This doesn't mean you failed," it suggests that perhaps you didn't fail and the polygrapher was only fishing for possible admissions.

I think there's no telling what the result was until you get official word. In the meantime, it may help you to make sense of your experience to familiarize yourself with polygraph procedure. You'll find a thorough description in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (especially Chapter 3).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:47pm
Quote:
But then he/she said something that confused me more, he said, "This doesnt mean you fail. You still need to stay in contact with your background investigator" blah blah blah. (So I didn't fail? What? I thought I "reacted" to something. Doesnt that mean a Fail?)

Then he/she made some off-color remark about "only helping those that can be honest and tell the truth"

Zomboo,

1.  The polygraph is not a test for truthfulness.

2.  The polygraph is not even a test.

3.  The polygraph is an INTERROGATION disguised as a test!  Pure and simple.

4.  The machine is a "prop".  ANY polygraphic interrogators job  is to get you to BELIEVE in the power and accuracy of their prop.  Specifically, that a "reaction" equals "deception".

5.  However, a "reaction" DOES NOT equal deception.   

6.  Once they get you to believe in their magic box, their job is then to get information out of you.  "THE MACHINE SAYS YOU ARE LYING!  WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?!!!!"

7.  If you know the REAL science behind the machine (and the fallacy upon which the examiner is operating) and admit it to them, they will get all huffy and puffy, and accuse you of countermeasures or of having the utter temerity of finding out the REAL facts about the polygraph.  They hate it when people do that.  That's why they hate this board.

8.  If they succeed in pressuring you into saying something, no matter how insignificant it is, they may well blow it out of all proportion, distort it and use it against you to justify their fallacious theory "See!  We knew you were hiding something!  The machine doesn't lie!  You lie LIAR!"

9.  Polygraphers are the liars.  The longer they've been doing polygraphs, the more pathological their lying will be.  The whole process depends on you falling for their deception.

TC

P.S.  Polygraphers who come here have repeatedly denied the above.  One just got banned (for the 2nd time).  According to him, it was an "overgeneralization" to claim that polygraphers routinely claim the machine "detects deception".

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:57pm
George & T.M.

Thanks for the quick responses. While it doesn't solve my situation, it does make me feel a bit better to know that there isnt some deep, dark hole in my head hiding some horrific past that I cannot remember.
(trust me, I sat up helf the night unable to sleep, trying to remember if there is anything I did. Remember that candy-bar when you werre 10?)

George, I read chap. 3 of the book... and WOW!... I wish I would have read it 2 days ago before my test. LOL! Then again, they would have been correct about researching it prior to the exam, so I guess its better that I didn't. But the info is GREAT. And the questions and situations? The chapter had the EXACT questions almost word for word that they used.  Shocked  I bow before your greatness.  Grin I almost had to laugh at some of the stuff because it was almost identical in every way!!

I guess only time will tell what my "results" will be.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:10pm
Quote:
Then again, they would have been correct about researching it prior to the exam, so I guess its better that I didn't.

No, it would have been better that you read it, and kept it to yourself.  If the polygraph is so damn accurate and scientific, what difference would it make?  By asking if you have ever researched the polygraph, their just trying to gauge how gullible you might be.  You could even take it a step further and say "Gee, I've heard the polygraph is REALLY accurate.  98% even.  Is that true?  Wow!"

Polygraphers would respond by saying that you should be totally honest, even though they are trying to dupe you and being deceptive themselves.

Standard response it, "why not just tell the truth?"  Of course, that is PRECISELY what you did, and got called a liar anyway.  So whats the freaking point!

If you walk into a used car lot and the slick car salesman asks you "how much you willing to spend lad?", or "Been to any other car lots?", would you necessarily feel obligated to answer them truthfully?

I got ask the first question in 1998 at a car lot.  My answer?  "How low are you willing to go?"  He gave me a nasty look, walked away and quit pestering me!   Grin

TC

P.S.  Tell your family and friends about your experience.  Dispel  the myth!  Expose the truth!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box synstsia
New User

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 5:40pm
Zomboo,

Your experience is eerily familiar, as the same exact thing has happened to me. I too have prior law enforcement and have passed a polygraph in the past. Most recently, I switched agencies and was forced to take a test as a pre-employment screen. I was given the exact same numbers game that you were given and even recieved the exact same ridiculous treatment from the examiner. I was told that I "could not follow directions" and the examiner threatened to end the test a number of times. I found this seriously amusing and thought I was in the twilight zone, so I acted accordingly. After playing the "directed lie" game for about an hour, I became annoyed and began to question the meaning behind the questions. After making a quip regarding their ridivulous behavior, the examiner ended the test and showed me the way out. What kind of horse crap is this? PM me if you want to talk in private..

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Labeled4Life
New User

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:30pm
Zomboo,

Each time I read a variant of my experience I get more and more nauseated. I almost would suspect at some point that this storyline should just be included as an introduction to this forum. First time I read a story like this, it read like a script that was familiar in some sort of way until I realized it was the script that the examiner had played out with me as well.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 10:06pm
Have you guys ever considered just "telling the truth"?

TC

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 11:15pm
Damnit TMC... dont you know the magic box already "knows" whether I'm telling the truth or not.  Grin Grin Cheesy

But seriously, hearing that there are other people who have had very similiar experiences/tactics used on them, I still wonder, is this type of verbal assault used to "scare" someone into admitting something? or to make you think they know something when they don't? Or do I just chalk it up to the fact that my examiner may not of liked of me, and thus, I "fail".

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 6:24am
Seriously though, where there any "control questions"?  Or just relevant/irrelevant?

My guess is that some LE pre-employment polycrap tests purposely use such an aggressive, confrontational approach to "break you down" and "fluster" you.  Standard counter interrogational technique there is to:

1)  Let them fluster you and don't fight back, smart off, or negatively respond to their attacks.  Show them you can REMAIN CALM UNDER FIRE.  Like a trooper!

2)  Hold out as long as you can.

3)  Give them something, but NOTHING THEY CAN USE AGAINST YOU.  (e.g. POW giving outdated info about an aircraft, or weapoin system; you've never taken illegal drugs, but you know a guy who OD'd so it's sensitive subject for you.)

TC

P.S.  Did you pucker your disgusting little anus or have dirty thoughts while being asked the test questions?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:18pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 24th, 2009 at 6:24am:
Seriously though, where there any "control questions"?  Or just relevant/irrelevant?

P.S.  Did you pucker your disgusting little anus or have dirty thoughts while being asked the test questions?

Personally, I didnt' pucker.. I'm tired of bending over for people like that. In Law Enforcement, there are always layers of people in the hiring process that believe they are your 'God' for that particular step. It's a shame that an interrogation technique must be attempted, as it is wholly unnecessary. Most of us just want to serve our community (or have already done so for years) and don't deserve to be treated like criminals. I'm so pissed off that its all just one big game- and "failing" the game or failing to play along means that a good officer might not be hired.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:52pm

My test consisted mostly of control/directed-lie questions. Didn't spend much time on the relevant/irrelevant ones. In fact, I think we spent the most time on building up the charade that this was going to be a mystical process. Was the big wooden chair with oversized arm rests really supposed to intimidate me? Was the examiners seemingly Jeckle & Hyde attitude supposed to get me flustered? Does sitting like a statue and staring at a wall really expose vulnerability?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 5:56pm
Seriously though, where there any "control questions"?Or just relevant/irrelevant?

Hmm. I really dont know how to answer that one. I had 12 questions and each one was exactly the same. Basically, they went like this: Other than what you've already told me, have you ever (insert crime here)?

ie: Other than what we've already talked about, have you ever lied to an authority figure?

Other than what you've told me, did you lie about your involvement in criminal activity?

etc etc etc x12

synstsia wrote on Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:18pm:
- and "failing" the game or failing to play along means that a good officer might not be hired. 

And that Syn, is EXACTLY the problem.  Cry Cry

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 7:14pm
Quote:
Other than what we've already talked about, have you ever lied to an authority figure?

Other than what you've told me, did you lie about your involvement in criminal activity?

First question above is a control, the next one is a relevant question.

The "other than what you've told me ......" additive is bullshit.  If you are reacting  to the question  it is derived from (in which you told them something), you might well continue to react as you will still be sensitized to that question and your mind will know that the latest version is just a permutation of the original question.  Let there be no doubt though, they are STILL fishing for information relevant to the original question regarding criminal activity.

So an applicant should not let the "other than what you've told me..." jazz set them at ease."

TC

IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 7:23pm
Quote:
And that Syn, is EXACTLY the problem.  Cry Cry

I hear you..  Loads of background investigations, psychological testing and personal interviews can all be 'debunked' by a single subjective test.. Not to mention the propensity for ego to get thrown into the mix- You mentioned the possibility that the examiner, for whatever reason, may not have liked you- well, when a single person (in some cases, someone not even affiliated with the agency you're applying to) gets so much power, it can go straight to their heads.

IP Logged

Examiner Tactics? Am I a bad subject? or FAIL?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X