Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Insurance Claims (Read 48877 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pugs423
New User

Insurance Claims
Mar 17th, 2009 at 3:21am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Kind of new to this but need a liitle help!!!
My truck was vandilized and burned,  now my Insurance Company has asked me to take a Poly test,  but I really do not trust the tests.
Do i have a n option to deny the test, or will they with hold the payment for my truck.
By th eway I'm in Tennessee and the INs Company is Allstate.
PLease someone give me som advice,  thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: Insurance Claims
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 7:34am
You cannot be required to take a polygraph and if you are sanctioned for your refusal, the insurance compay is wide open for a hefty lawsuit. I'm not a lawyer but i'm pretty sure that;s right. it would be smart to check with a lawyer on this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 11:27am
Pugs423,

You're right not to trust the polygraph "test": polygraphy has no scientific basis and is inherently biased against the truthful. I very much doubt that Allstate can legally compel you to submit to this fraudulent procedure. Is any mention of a polygraph requirement made in your insurance policy? (I found no mention of polygraphs on Allstate's website.)

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 3:17pm
The only thing i could find in my policy declration info was to "submit a statement under oath"  i didn't know if that included a polygraph.  But i also just found outthat there sending a private investigator somtime in the next couple of days, and he may ask me to tak one.  That may be because the City investigator were i live accused me of it and i told him were he ould stick it and walked out of the room.  I don't know if that was a good thing to do or not,  but i had already gave him all the info i could give him anyway.     Thank you guys for responding so fast  this is the first time i have used somthing like this.   If there is anymore advice or someone else who has delt with a simular situation i would greatly apperciate all the help i can get.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 3:46pm
Submitting a statement under oath is not the same thing as submitting to a lie detector test. If a polygraph requirement is not stipulated in your policy, I don't see how Allstate can legally modify that contract by demanding that you submit to a polygraph "test" before it will make payment for your loss.

It is worth bearing in mind that Allstate's private investigator will have one mission: to find a reason -- any reason -- to deny your claim and save the company money. As Twoblock mentioned, I think it would be smart to check with a lawyer regarding this situation.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ed Earl
User

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 5:04pm
The one thing some of the previous posters have correct, is their conclusion that you cannot be forced to take a polygraph examination. Most statutes prevent compelling polygraph and the process requires cooperation. 

Regardless of opinions you will find here against polygraph and rhetoric it generates, peer reviewed published polygraph research as well as the vast majority of anecdotal information from actual cases prove repeatedly that a polygraph examination can effectively discriminate lying from truth-telling. Every year more and more courts at federal and state level are accepting polygraph results as evidence. 

Broad claims like "no scientific basis" and "inherently biased against the truthful" are mere opinions. 

You are certainly better off refusing the examination than trying to use the countermeasures available on this site. There is at least one study that indicates that attempting countermeasures actually increses the possibility of a truthful person failing the examination and there is no peer-reviewed published research that proves countermeasures taught in The Lie Beind the Lie Detector can be effectively implemented in a real life polygraph.

Do all of the research you want. Listen to the advice and negative claims about polygraph you’ll find here. Read the book if you want. Read the massive barrage of responses that will likely follow my post. It’s a free world. I am here fighting against those who try to convince people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth. 

If you don't want to take the test, refuse it, try to "beat it" at your peril. If you try countermeasures and get caught or try them and fail your test, both of which, in my opinion, are vastly more probable than successfully using countermeasures, you should not expect a sympathetic ear when you try to use excuse your behavior.

It's your decision.

AAPACPTALPAUCN

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 5:20pm
Pugs423,

Note that our friend "Ed Earl" derives income from giving polygraph tests. You should greet his claims regarding polygraphy with the same skepticism that you would those of a tobacco salesman touting the health benefits of smoking.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

User

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 7:24pm
See pugs I told you. 

All I did was encourage you to refuse the test,(agreeing with him on that point by the way) suggest that you should do your own research ( a sound idea concerning any important matter)  and point out an alternative position (allowed and encouraged in this forum) to the overwhelming negative views represented on this site. He responds impuning my integrity, comparing me to a tobacco salesman making some type of false claim. A statement I find at odds with his demand that posts substantively, civilly, and non-argumentatively address the original topic, made yesterday in another thread on this very site. 

While he may disagree with my statements, they are accurate.

As a direct response to his ad hominum attack impugning my personal integrity, I feel justified informing you that the origin of our friend "George Mashke's" hatred of polygraph is derived from his demonstrated inability to pass them.  You will find support for this comment in his own words at: https://antipolygraph.org/statements/statement-003.shtml ;   I encourage you to read it for yourself and draw your own conclusion, but you may have to process a certain amount of "spin". 

I believe you should  greet his claims regarding polygraphy with the same skepticism that you would the instruction of a Drivers Ed teacher who has repeatedly been denied his license to drive. 

I am STILL here fighting against those who try to convince people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth. My personal opinion is that the free advice you might find here on countermeasures is tremendously overpriced. I don't really understand why encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful meets with such resistance here.

AAPACPTALPAUCN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hunter
User

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 8:01pm
Refuse the examination.  It cannot be compelled by the insurance company.  It may delay your claim, however, it is not a condition of your insurance policy.  You are not an employee, so EPPA does not apply.  It appears you do not want to go though an examination, so just refuse.  All the parsing of words regarding your situation are irrelevant.  It is your choice.  I also derive my income from conducting polygraph examinations so I guess my opinion is also covered by the one statement "You should greet his claims regarding polygraphy with the same skepticism that you would those of a tobacco salesman touting the health benefits of smoking."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 8:21pm
Ed Earl wrote on Mar 17th, 2009 at 7:24pm:
As a direct response to his ad hominum attack impugning my personal integrity, I feel justified informing you that the origin of our friend "George Mashke's" hatred of polygraph is derived from his demonstrated inability to pass them.

It would be more accurate to write that George's negative opinion of polygraphs was derived from his inability to pass one by answering the questions truthfully.

I think it is reasonable to believe that most intelligent people would have serious misgivings about the polygraph if they were accused of lying after answering all the questions truthfully.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 8:38pm
Well I finally just called an asked if I had to take the exam and the agent said "absolutly not".   He said the only reason he asked me was so he could inform the investigator to bring his equipment and that the investigator would also ask. He aslso said that they could not  deny the claim because of my refusal to take the exam.  He even admitted that the exams held no water and thaey coulkd be passes easily with   countermeasures.  I made no comment to that. So he basically said that was a standad question,   They say your in good hands with Allstate but I fill like I'm stuck between two butt cheeks.

IP Logged

User

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 9:48pm
Actually Sergeant, It would be more accurate to write that George's negative opinion of polygraphs was derived from his demonstrated inability to pass them accompanied by his unsubstantiated claim he answered the questions truthfully.

While there is no disagreement, (according to his account,) that he did not pass his polygraphs; there is some disagreement between he and the FBI and LAPD regarding his truthfulness(again according to his OWN account). In any case, I pointed Pugs towards George's story so he could read it and draw his own conclusion. Do you have something against that?    

While I wouldn't have mentioned it at all had he not impugned my integrity, I think it is reasonable to believe that most intelligent people would find it fair to question the veracity of a person who failed to meet  minimum standards for competitive employment regarding why they failed to meet those standards whatever they were, but especially so when the central issue was truthfulness.  However, if you guys will let this issue lay, I will too.

I mean all I really want to do here is fight against those who try to convince people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth. I don't really understand why encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful meets with such resistance.

AAPACPTALPAUCN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box getrealalready
Senior User

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 10:43pm
Ed Earl,

Ed Earl wrote on Mar 17th, 2009 at 9:48pm:
I don't really understand why encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful meets with such resistance.

Would you object to requiring that polygraph examiners be honest, honorable, and truthful in conducting their examinations?  Furthermore would you consider it reasonable that every examinee be provided access to a downloadable digital video of his/her exam that could be independently reviewed for compliance with the aforementioned?
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2009 at 1:20pm by getrealalready »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 12:00am
Quote:
Actually Sergeant, It would be more accurate to write that George's negative opinion of polygraphs was derived from his demonstrated inability to pass them accompanied by his unsubstantiated claim he answered the questions truthfully.

Actually Sancho, it would more accurate to write that George's negative opinion of polygraphs was derived from his inability to pass them while telling the truth dispite  YOUR and other industry pundits unsubstatiated claims that the polygraph can measure truthfulness from lies.

An intelligent person might ask if there were any evidence to substantiate that employment polygraphs (which is what GM took) could do what you just claimed it could do (with no citations as usual) why did the NAS review conclude otherwise?

Who should an intelligent person believe, the NAS or a person who makes a living telling people otherwise.  GM's tobacco industry analogy pertains.   

Was any evidence ever found that GM was working for Iran, or is a drug dealer as his FBI polygrapher accused him of?

TC 

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 12:26am
Ed Earl wrote on Mar 17th, 2009 at 9:48pm:
I mean all I really want to do here is fight against those who try to convince people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth. I don't really understand why encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful meets with such resistance.

This is a good example of the logical fallacy of a straw man argument.  The straw man argument presented is:  Anti-polygraph people are those who try to convince people they are better off lying, while pro-polygraph people are simply encouraging people to be honest.
It is a deliberately misleading oversimplification of the opposing positions, intended to make one side seem so extreme that no one is likely to agree with them.

My own experience in telling the truth during my polygraphs and having the examiners tell me I was clearly lying makes it easy for me to believe George when he says he also told the truth and failed.  There is no reason to believe George was lying unless you believe in the infallibility of the polygraph, and my own experiences have thoroughly convinced me that the polygraph is hardly infallible.

Once again, feel free to look over my previous posts and try to find where I suggested that it would be a good idea to lie.  I don't think you will find any examples.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Insurance Claims

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X