Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Insurance Claims (Read 48892 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Insurance Claims
Reply #30 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ed Earl wrote on Mar 18th, 2009 at 9:32pm:
Their knowledge would be limited to what occurs only in the examinations they conducted, observed, or reviewed. 

Obviously, the same would be true of anyone writing about the polygraph, whether that person is pro-polygraph or anti-polygraph.  The fact that it is true about Dr.'s Richardson and Lykken in no way casts any pall upon their expertise nor in any way does it render their opinion any less valid.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ed Earl
User

Reply #31 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 2:50am
Don't worry Cullen. I will never again insinuate that you might be guilty of researching your comments or the underlying foundation for them.

George. I do not dispute that their allegations may have occurred somewhere or sometime. What I dispute is the idea that their observations are of sufficient quantity or quality to support any assertions regarding what all polygraphers say or do in all polygraph exams.

I wouldn't expect to find anything in your book that wasn't somehow spun to support the premise you espouse. When YOU insinuate that I lack "Intellectual Honesty", I can only laugh, but that is just because I find myself at a loss for the proper way to spell the sound often described as the Bronx Cheer and proper decorum prevents me from uttering the common phrase for male bovine fecal matter. But I am not here to impugn anyone's integrity and I am still willing to let that issue lay if you will. I intend to conduct myself with as much civility as you (and I mean that collectively not specifically) will permit.

That doesn't really matter though, the reason I am here is that I intend to provide an alternative point of view from some of the posters here who try to convince those people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth. I don't really understand why encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful meets with such resistance. 

Do you have a problem with encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful? 

It seems reasonable that this question should be answerable by a simple yes or no.  But that seems to be a threshold you're not willing to cross.

AAPACPTALPAUCN

IP Logged

User

Reply #32 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 3:08am
Sergeant1107 wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:50am:
Obviously, the same would be true of anyone writing about the polygraph, whether that person is pro-polygraph or anti-polygraph.The fact that it is true about Dr.'s Richardson and Lykken in no way casts any pall upon their expertise nor in any way does it render their opinion any less valid.  

That is why I do not make statements that claim to know what all polygraphers do or what happens in all polygraphs. What should be acknowledged is that their known credentials do not automatically render their opinions, which in this case were based on overgeneralization and small numbers any more valid either. 

While I don't recall you ever encouraging anyone to lie or use countermeasures, it certainly appears that you have allied yourself with those who do. How do you justify defending George Maschke when he does encourage people to lie or use countermeasures?

I am here  to provide an alternative point of view from some of the posters here who try to convince those people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth. I don't really understand why encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful meets with such resistance.

AAPACPTALPAUCN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #33 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 5:24am
Quote:
I am here  to provide an alternative point of view from some of the posters here who try to convince those people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth.

But your "alternative point of view" so far, just as it was awhile back when you were posting as  "Sancho Panza" (and got banned for accusing GM of aiding terrorists), is to talk around in circles, and make ridiculous claims like polygraphers don't use the term "deception indicated" to describe specific answers to specific questions.

The used car lot analogy is applicable.  The polygraph is an interrogation (even pailryder admitted that).  Just as interrogators use deceptive techniques to get info out of people they can use against them, car salesmen use deceptive sales tactics to get more money out of customers.  Being forewarned and protecting oneself accordingly in such cases is not anymore unethical than the deceptions perpetrated by polygraphic interrogators.

Basically what your are saying is it's okay FOR POLYGRAPHERS TO LIE, but not okay for the people target with those lies to lie, and  then pontificating about bad "ethics".  

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #34 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 6:22am
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 5:24am:
Basically what your are saying is it's okay FOR POLYGRAPHERS TO LIE, but not okay for the people target with those lies to lie, andthen pontificating about bad "ethics".

I think that pretty much sums up the situation, though Ed Earl is evidently unwilling even to acknowledge the fact that polygraphers practice deception upon examinees.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

User

Reply #35 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 12:47pm
George, Cullen  I sure wish I could spell that Bronx Cheer thing for you guys. 

I have acknowledged repeatedly that the deceptions claimed by Drew Richardson and Dr. Lykken may have occurred somewhere or sometime. What I dispute is the idea that their observations are of sufficient quantity or quality to support any assertions regarding what all polygraphers say or do in all polygraph exams. So, To insinuate that I am unwilling even to acknowledge the fact that {SOME}polygraphers practice deception upon examinees is deliberately false.
Your statements also might mislead people to believe that Dr. Lykken was "Anti-Polygraph". That too would be an over generalized mischaracterization. 

Until you have some credible evidence to substantiate that it goes on in all polygraph exams, just modify your over generalized unsubstantiated claim to "SOME" polygraphers practice deception and you will appear more credible and can argue that the reason behind Drew's statement is based on his personal observation. 

Cullen, what pailryder stated was that polygraph is often used as an interrogation tool, but in the same post he also stated that you were mistaken if you believed that it was the only use. 

I disagree with pailryder regarding his use of the term "often". I would encourage him to return and clarify what he means by "often". 

There is a difference between Interview and Interrogation that is generally accepted by the courts, lawyers, and law enforcement. Interrogation only begins once the investigator is convinced of the interviewee's culpability. It would be unethical behavior for any polygraph examiner to conduct an exam if he were already convinced of the examinee's culpability. Print that on a T-Shirt and I'll wear it any where polygraphers gather. Many polygraph examinations are resolved without any interrogation whatsoever. If the examiner becomes convinced that the examinee is lying he may begin an interrogation, or simply report his findings and leave the subject of interrogation to someone else. To make a blanket statement that the polygraph is an interrogation is a mis-characterization of what happens. 

In a properly conducted polygraph examination, if an interrogation occurs it only occurs after the pre-test INTERVIEW, data collection, and data evaluation are all completed and then only if the examiner becomes convinced of the examinee's culpability based on chart analysis and he has been tasked with the job of post-test interrogation. While it is possible that polygraph may have been used or may be used as an interrogation. Your  broad statement that "polygraph is an interrogation" is inaccurate and to attribute the statement in that context to pailryder is false and reprehensible.

But I am not here to impugn anyone's integrity and I am still willing to let that issue lay if you will. I intend to conduct myself with as much civility as you (and I mean that collectively not specifically) will permit.

I do not agree that it is OK for polygraphers to lie even though the courts give them permission to do so under certain circumstances. Polygraph works and the examiner does not have to lie to the examinee to "make it work" In fact it has even worked on psychologists, physiologists, and psychophisiologists; three groups who should be fully aware of any errors or deceptions a polygrapher might attempt regarding what causes reactions.

The reason I am here is that I intend to provide an alternative point of view from some of the posters here who try to convince those people they are better off lying and cheating than they are telling the truth. I don't really understand why encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful meets with such resistance. 

Do either of you have a problem with encouraging people to be honest, honorable and truthful? 

It seems reasonable that this question should be answerable by a simple yes or no.  But that seems to be a threshold George isn't willing to cross. 

AAPACPTALPAUCN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box getrealalready
Senior User

Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 12:50pm
Quote:

I think that pretty much sums up the situation, though Ed Earl is evidently unwilling even to acknowledge the fact that polygraphers practice deception upon examinees.

When documentation exists to support the notion that the leading university of polygraphy (tee hee) teaches rampant deception as a part of its core curriculum, it becomes rather irrelevant what Ed Earl is willing to acknowledge.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:06pm by getrealalready »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #37 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:06pm
Mr Cullen

I purchased a used car recently and the salesman disclosed all known facts about the condition of the automobile.  Perhaps a better anology would be a physician perscribing a placebo.  In that case, the doctor has lied to the patient, but did the doctor do anything wrong or unethical?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #38 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:14pm
Pailryder,

Quote:

Perhaps a better anology would be a physician perscribing a placebo.  In that case, the doctor has lied to the patient, but did the doctor do anything wrong or unethical?

In a clinical trial in which a physician might well give a patient/subject a placebo, that subject should have properly been informed that (1) he/she is the subject of a clinical trial, and (2) that he/she might receive a placebo during that participation.

In the case of lie detection, a subject is not routinely told that he is participating in activity in which he/she might be (will routinely be) lied to.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:21pm
getrealalready

Not in a clinical trial, if a physician makes a judgement that a patient does not require medication and prescribes a placebo instead, is that ever acceptable?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #40 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:31pm
Pailryder,

A physician who administers a substance other than what he tells a patient he/she is prescribing (under the circumstances you describe) does so at his own great peril (administrative sanction, civil suit, etc).  Why?  Example: Suppose a physician were to administer sugar (sucrose) pills to a patient who did not realize (previously undiagnosed)
that he/she was a Type II diabetic...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #41 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:33pm
Ed Earl

By "often" I mean, more often than not.  I would cite law enforcement's acceptance of CVSA to support my observation, however, a more private forum may be a better place for us to conduct this conversation. 

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #42 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:39pm
getrealalready

If a physician makes a judgement that, in his medical opinion, a patient does not require medication and prescribes a harmless placebo instead, is that ever acceptable?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #43 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:45pm
Regarding the "interview" vs. "interrogation" question, which has been discussed on ths board before:

Interrogation has been defined by the courts as the direct questioning of a suspect in custody, as well as any words or actions on the part of the police officer that are reasonably likely to elicit an incriminating response.  Someone acting on the behest of the police (e.g. - a civilian polygraph examiner) would be considered an agent of the state as far as a criminal court was concerned.

Prior to any questioning of a suspect in custody, the suspect must be advised of their Miranda rights.

Any suspect in custody the police wish to polygraph would absolutely require Miranda before any part of the polygraph process could take place.  If the suspect declined to waive his Fifth Amendment rights the polygraph could not place.  If the suspect asked to speak with a lawyer first, the Edwards Rule would apply and the polygraph could not take place.  

If a polygraph was not an interrogation the police could polygraph suspects in custody without advising them of their rights first.  That is absolutely not the case.  By the legal definition as accepted in the courts of this country, a polygraph of a suspect in custody is an interrogation.  

It is reasonable to call a polygraph exam an interrogation regardless of the semantical hairs some polygraph examiners wish to split on the matter.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #44 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:45pm
Pailryder,

I refer you to my last response to you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Insurance Claims

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X