Normal Topic Passed one but failed the next (Read 5970 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lj Dendy

Passed one but failed the next
Mar 4th, 2009 at 8:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Im in the United States Navy. i was accused of using illegal drugs. Cocaine to be exact. The navy aimed for admin seperation but i decided to fight it because i never used cocaine. I payed a examiner to give me a polygraph so i could present the results to my command and have my hearing dropped.I passed the test with flying colors says the examiner. After my lawyer presents it to the command they reported that they could not review a outside polygraph and that if i would consent to taking another polygraph by a NCIS agent and pass they would drop it. So of course i know i never done anything wrong. So i take this test. The 3 round test of the same questions mixed around....it comes back inconclusive....i consent to taking another so that results can be taken properly. The 2nd time it comes back deception indicated. How is it that i pass a Polygraph from a FBI agent that has had 20 years of experience but i cant pass one from a NCIS agent...im not understanding this and quite frankly it is very fustrating..PLEASE HELP!!!! Sad

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Passed one but failed the next
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 9:52am
You need to understand that polygraph testing is junk science. You can get different results from different polygraphers the same way you can get different fortune-tellings from different palm readers.

That said, it's worth noting that polygrapher bias and expectations can also influence polygraph outcomes. The NCIS polygraphers had every incentive to reach a finding that supports your command's position. Think about it: the NCIS polygraphers must realize that had they passed you, their results would likely have been questioned and subjected to scrutiny. But by flunking you, they had nothing to lose.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 12:25pm
Mr Maschke

In a recent thread you provided a cite to a study that confirms, to my mind anyway, that CVSA is indeed junk science.  Would you provide a similar peer reviewed study on polygraph to support your statement or are you merely stating your personal opinion?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 12:35pm
pailryder,

Sure. See, for example, Professor William G. Iacono's article, "Forensic 'Lie Detection': Procedures Without Scientific Basis."

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 1:25pm
Mr Masche

You have cited "a critical overview of the scientific status of the CQT", Dr Iacono's review of existing studies.  I am asking to be directed to peer reviewed research studies conducted by anti's to support their opinions.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 1:36pm
pailryder,

Then see the studies cited in Iacono's article.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 6:47pm
Quote:
The 2nd time it comes back deception indicated.

What?  Did the polygraph operator actually use the term "deception indicated".  Polygraphers on this board have stated repeatedly that the machine does not directly measure "deception"!  Then how can they get away with using that phrase?  Why don't they use "reaction indicated"?

How bogus!

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lj Dendy

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 3:50pm
Yes she specifically said "deception indicated". I then asked what questions showed reaction for my own knowledge and she said....All questions even the "known truth" questions. So.......if all questions were smiliar as for sensitivity wouldnt that still be considered "inconclusive" because technically you cant tell whether im lying or telling truth when the meter jumps on EVERY question. I know im not a polygraph expert but i dont understand. Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:14pm
Quote:
Yes she specifically said "deception indicated"

WHAT?  But according to Mr. Ed Earl (AKA Sancho Panza, Phil Queeg, Anonymous too), board polygrapher, they don't use that term for specific questions.  Are you sure the polygraph operator used that term?  I was accused of "overgeneralizing" when I suggested that polygraphers rroutinely use that term in describing reactions to specific questions, and therefore, tacitly claim the machine detects deception, which is doesn't.  IOW, they (polygraphers) lie.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Passed one but failed the next

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X