Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Relevant/Irrelevant (Read 21944 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Relevant/Irrelevant
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 6:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
Do you have evidence that the findings of the Crewes Study are inaccurate or false or are you just attacking the source because you are unable to refute the findings?

Honts was quoted extensively in that study.   As a polygraph practitioner, he is among those who have a “vested, financial interest” in polygraphs. Suffice it to say that the study should be greeted with the same skepticism with which one would receive a tobacco industry study into the linkage between cigarette smoking and cancer.   

The NAS report came out in the same general time frame and refutes most of the conclusions made in the study in question.  The NAS report pretty much concluded the Polygraph is NOT a scientifically valid test.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous Too

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:17pm
Oh yes the NAS "study"  IMPARTIAL?  NOT by any definition of the word.

I know where you're coming from though. In that often mentioned NAS “study” on page 119 it says. “Because the great bulk of polygraph research has been funded by agencies that rely on the polygraph for law enforcement or counterintelligence purposes, there is a significant potential for bias and conflict of interest in polygraph research.   

If this criticism is valid then the fact that NAS study was funded by donations from  scientists working for the U.S. Department of Energy (USDOE) as a result of the aftermath of the Wen Ho Lee situation has bearing on the same issue. These scientists formed the opinion that because of their lofty "qualifications", THEY shouldn't have to submit to the indignity of security screening while they were working on weapons of mass destruction. The fact that they bought and paid for the this NAS "Study" ALSO provides a significant potential for bias and conflict of interest on THEIR findings as well. 

The NAS was paid nearly a million dollars to conduct their "study." by colleagues, some of whom were members of the association and who had a vested interest in the outcome. These people who paid for the study made no secret as to what outcome they desired. 

The exalted NAS makes no official notice of the source of their funding in their final report which allows them to  conceal almost a million bucks worth of potential bias and conflict of interest.

By the way, The NAS study does not refute the Crewes Study in fact their report doesn't reference the study at all.   

Oh by the way, Did you know that Wen Ho Lee was cleared by polygraph?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:40pm
Anonymous Too,

I am suggesting that unless research is published in a legitimate scientific journal and peer reviewed by legitimate scientists with credentials from legitimate, accredited universities, then said research has little integrity, and has no use being sourced for any point. 

Here's what the American Medical Association has said:

"The [lie detector] cannot detect lies much better than a coin toss."

""Though the polygraph can recognize guilty suspects with an accuracy that is better than chance, error rates of significant size are possible."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2004-04-08-kantor_x.htm

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/256/9/1172

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/256/9/1172

The last two is where your quote came from. It mentions "75% to 97%," not "97%." They also strongly emphasize the high rate of false positives directly related to trying to catch a higher number of guilty suspects. I can catch 100% of guilty people if I call every person I interview a liar. They also say that the polygraph is not capable of deciding guilt or innocence alone because of its high error rates, and that it should not be used as a screening device, also because of its high error rates (which, by chance, is the subject of this thread).

1986 was just the beginning of true, skeptical research on the polygraph. Since then, a lot of research has cast more unfavorable results. I wasn't able to find any recent statements from the American Medical Association, but I would be very surprised if they still claimed the numbers they do.

How many people do you see complaining about false positives on urine analysis during the hiring process for law enforcement agencies? That should offer some insight.

My position is not based solely on the American Medical Association's 22 year old position on polygraphs. It is based on the culmination of science's overall outlook on them. If polygraphy legitimately fell under a specific science, it would be psychology, which is the scientific study of human behavior. And the American Psychological Association has a much worse, more up-to-date opinion of the polygraph.

The fundamental problem with the polygraph and why it will never be acceptably accurate is because "(t)here is no evidence that any pattern of physiological reactions is unique to deception."

http://www.psychologymatters.org/polygraphs.html

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:42pm
This link was supposed to be one of the two duplicates listed. 

http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=105894

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:57pm
Anonymous Too,

Recently, Theodor C. Caron, Jr was also "cleared" by the polygraph, then was later found by DNA evidence to have killed Pamela Brown.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #20 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 9:14pm
Look, they make $500 a pop per polygraph.  Would people pay that kind of money if the polygraph wasn't accurate?!!  

Dr. Phil, a psychologist, believes the polygraph is accurate and has had polygraphic artists on his show.  Including the man who tested George and busted him for being a major international drug kingpin and serial tulip bulb murderer.  Cry

So I think the verdict is in as to the accuracy of the polygraph.  Logic tells us this!  So cite all the scientific crap you want, the polygraph is here to stay!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:53pm
Anonymous
3 references to the same document does not count as 3 sources. Psychology Matters is not listed as a "Professional Journal" by the American Psychological Association. Nothing in the essay states that it is a position paper on behalf of the association. The essay you referenced there only cited four sources clearly selected for their negative stance regarding polygraph. The essay on that site about driving while talking on the cell phone cites 19 sources. Hmmmmm

The author of the USA today article you referenced describes him self as a  technology writer, pundit, and know-it-all. Have you read any of his other stuff like the scholarly "Pastor Roger Byrd- Ignorant Redneck" or "The Damn Lithuainians are at it again"? Somebody might get the impression you judge credibility based on whether or not someone agrees with you.  

Theodore Caron's DNA wasn't the only male DNA at the crime scene. The victim had another fellows DNA on her underwear.  Why don't we wait and see if Caron is convicted before we declare polygraph a failure here.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 2:05am
Anonymous Too,

I never intended to pretend I had more sources than I did. My only inclination was to offer you links to click on that showed you what I was talking about. If you notice, each link offers different information. I could not locate the American Medical Association's Council on Scientific Affairs article in its entirety, so I did the best I could to back up what I typed. If you check, everything I mentioned can be found in each of the links I posted, even if all the links talk about the same article. I figured this would be better than typing up a bunch of words without offering a resource. 

In reference to the American Psychological Association's article, I suggest you look at the bottom where it notes both:

"American Psychological Association, August 5, 2004"

and 

"© 2009 American Psychological Association"

Additionally, if you go to the American Psychological Association's website:

http://www.apa.org/

and move your cursor over "Psychological Topics" you'll see a link to psychologymatters.org.

In fact, an alternative to psychologymatters.org is 

http://psychologymatters.apa.org/

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 1:20pm
Whatever Psychology Matters is, or regardless of who pays for the web site, WHAT IT IS NOT, as you are so fond of saying, a legitimate scientific journal and peer reviewed. Nor does it clam to state the official position of the organization. The essay is just an article, insufficiently researched to pass muster as a high school term paper that uses cherry picked citations and not even very many of those. 

NOWHERE in your JAMA citations does it state that "The [lie detector] cannot detect lies much better than a coin toss" that statement comes from Kantor ( The guy who doesn't like southern preachers and Lithuaninans, remember?)

But lets talk about JAMA and coins just for fun. While tossing a coin is a 50-50 proposition with a 2 sided coin, if you take the BOTTOM JAMA estimate of 75% you would need to flip a 4-sided coin with heads on 3 sides and tails on one side to get a 75% chance at heads on the flop. Have you ever been to Vegas?  all of those bright lights are paid for with a median house advantage of less than a 56% chance at winning on table games, slots and video poker and that even includes sucker games like keno. But polygraph isn't chance at all even JAMA states that the process performs significantly better than chance. Just because  you flip a coin 100 times and get heads 75 and tails 25, does not in anyway prove the coin is defective

But Polygraph isn't a chance proposition and testing error rate has NOTHING to do with chance. 

The only thing that lends more credibility to JAMA and the American Psychological Association is that however wrong they may be on this topic it doesn't appear that someone who had a pre-stated interest in a particular outcome paid them almost a million dollars for their opinion like happened with the NAS study. I have even heard that the "Donors" didn't authorize final payment until they heard the results of the study. If this is true, the employees that funded the study managed to turn the NAS into extremely well-paid hookers only it was Polygraph that got screwed. 

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 10:50pm
Anonymous Too,

The American Psychological Association uses psychologymatters.org as a means to inform people about psychological facts. It just so happens that they used this medium to inform people about the failings of lie detectors. Because the article is not presenting any new research, there is absolutely no reason for it to be in a peer reviewed journal. You don't seem to understand that the function of peer reviewed, scientific journals is to present new research. The article is merely an information piece, displaying information already established. Note that the references used are scientific journals, except for Dr. David Thoreson Lykken's (who was a very well respected professor) book, which is also well received by the psychological community, and the NAS study (which you will argue with, but it is one of the top scientific bodies in the country). But I am relatively certain that any article the American Psychological Association produces is carefully reviewed by a number of PhD's. 

I already told you that I do not have the American Medical Association's Council on Scientific Affairs article in its entirety, so I had to use different links to source my info. The USA Today article served as a source for those first two quotes. If you want to go and find a transcript proving that the American Medical Association expert that testified before Congress didn't say that, go ahead. I suspect your expedition will come up fruitless. I see no reason for the columnist to fabricate such things.

I really don't care to argue the difference between the two quotes with you, notably because they are over twenty years old. There is much more recent information about the polygraph's poor accuracy from relevant, scientific sources. My point was to reveal that the American Medical Association has stated that the polygraph is not fit for pre-employment screening because of significant error rates.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous too

Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:49am
Anonymous I don't know who fabricated that silly "coin toss" quote either. Lots of polygraph detractors use it but no one including you seems to be able to point to a verifiable source. They always say that some unnamed "expert" used it in an unspecified hearing on some unknown date while testifying regarding some unspecified law or investigation.   
This raises justifiable doubt as to it's legitimacy.   

Likewise concerning your assumption that all of the essays on that 
other APA web site are reviewed by several PHD.s and even if they are that still DOES NOT carry the weight of a position paper any more than their story about cell phone use in cars means you'll never see a member of their association jabber-jawing in traffic. 

What you fail to acknowledge is that there are relevant, scientific sources that verify that polygraph is a useful screening tool. No screening test of any type should be the sole determining factor in any decision making process. The purpose of a screening test in any field including medicine and psychology is to identify targets for further investigation or consideration. Women who produce questionable mammograms do not go straight to Chemotherapy they are subjected to further testing to confirm or refute mammography screening.   As a screening instrument, polygraph performs as well or better than many medical or psychological screening tests as evidenced by the Crewes Study. To date no-one has successfully refuted the findings of his study. 

Regardless of what examinees who fail their polygraph tests may want or choose to believe, the polygraph result hardly ever is and never should be the only reason someone is not hired. I think the American Polygraph Association Policy on pre-employment testing says as much:
" 3.3      Polygraph test results should never be used as the sole basis for the selection or rejection of a law-enforcement or public-service applicant". 
http://www.polygraph.org/files/delPolicyLE-PublicServicePre-employmenttestingJan...;

This  also agrees with the content of the JAMA abstract.  I have never heard of a polygraph examiner who makes the final decision regarding the hiring of any applicant. 

Polygraph isn't stagnant. Polygraph procedures today are different than polygraph in 1986 When JAMA published their article.  Pre-employment screening tests now generally use a successive hurdles approach to clarify the results of a questionable screening exam. However if someone is caught attempting countermeasures like the ones taught on this web site then no further testing is conducted. The assumption being if the examinee tried to cheat on his first test he will probably try to cheat on any subsequent examination. Perhaps if the successive hurdles approach was being used at the time many of the detractors here took their pre employment test the concerns might have been resolved and they might have been hired. 

Polygraph detractors not only seem to want to criticize polygraph they seem hell-bent on preventing any research that could result in polygraph improvements. They certainly try to ignore any research conducted since the NAS study which specifically called for more research. What are they afraid of? They aren't paying for the research. If it shows that polygraph can't improve, and it is outlawed they win. If it shows that polygraph can be improved, and its accuracy and reliability increase, they win.  The only thing they stand to lose from further research is their right to gripe.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:48am
Quote:
What you fail to acknowledge is that there are relevant, scientific sources that verify that polygraph is a useful screening tool.

Can you quote some peer reviewed, non industry funded studies please.

Quote:
No screening test of any type should be the sole determining factor in any decision making process. The purpose of a screening test in any field including medicine and psychology is to identify targets for further investigation or consideration.

But a polygraph IS used as the sole determining factor in hiring.!  If you fail a employment screening polygraph at the FBI, NSA, CIA..etc.  YOU AIN'T getting hired.  PERIOD!

TC

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:49am
Anonymous Too,

We both agree on one thing: Unless results from a polygraph session are confirmed, they should not be grounds for any negative action. Unfortunately, this is not the case with many agencies, local, state and federal included. And many innocent people are getting burned because of this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 4:00am
Cullen,  can you name any peer reviewed studies about anything conducted  and funded by anyone who doesn't have some stake in the outcome? Like I said before, I guess you must think that maybe we should have podiatrists conducting brain stem research just so it will be unbiased. Get real. In order to get podiatrists interested in brain stem research, you are going to have to pay them and where the money is coming from will raise the spectre of bias. The balancing weight of this potential bias is the peer review/publication process which exposes the findings to criticism.

What you fail to acknowledge that once a study is published, any person can certainly review and critique the study and if they have the necessary qualifications they can publish their own review regarding whatever flaws they feel exist. However, even with these people you will find that they have some stake in the outcome. For instance, regardless of YOUR qualifications, your critique of polygraph research is biased by your stated opinion regarding polygraph which doesn't come from an inpartial review of the research it comes from a personal experience that puts you in the position seeking what is bad about polygraph and allowing you to ignore what is good about it.

If you are correct about the FBI, NSA, CIA..etc then they aren't following the written policy of the American Polygraph Association are they? How do you know that applicants are CURRENTLY being rejected solely on polygraph results?

Anonymous, if you are right that this is not the case with many agencies, local, state and federal included, then they aren't following the written policy of the American Polygraph Association are they? How do you know that applicants are CURRENTLY being rejected solely on polygraph results?

How many people are getting burned?  

What do you mean by burned? If you think that by rejecting someone for a job they were not entitled to in the first place is getting burned, could you explain why?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 6:28am
Quote:
Cullen,  can you name any peer reviewed studies about anything conducted  and funded by anyone who doesn't have some stake in the outcome? Like I said before, I guess you must think that maybe we should have podiatrists conducting brain stem research just so it will be unbiased. Get real. In order to get podiatrists interested in brain stem research, you are going to have to pay them and where the money is coming from will raise the spectre of bias. The balancing weight of this potential bias is the peer review/publication process which exposes the findings to criticism.

If yo can't cite any credible study concluding the polygraph to be a good screening tool, just say so.  No need to go into a long and lame diatribe comparing the pseudo science of polygraphy to podiatry, radiology or any other scientific practice.  It's frankly an insult to podiatrists!  They actually have to go to medical school to earn a doctorate, not some 14 week polygraph school!  Ditto, to those polygraphers using the term "psycho physiologist".  I believe physiologist have doctorates also.

You're starting to remind me of Sancho Panza (aka Capt Phillip Queeg).

Quote:
If you are correct about the FBI, NSA, CIA..etc then they aren't following the written policy of the American Polygraph Association are they? How do you know that applicants are CURRENTLY being rejected solely on polygraph results?

If you don't pass the polygraph, you will not meet requirements and will not be hired.  People are routinely presented with a conditional offers of employment at these agencies.   Conditional upon passing the polygraph.  They fail the polygraph and are not hired.  Some letters even state that they've been rejected because their polygraph results were not "within acceptable parameters". 

TC
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 6:44am by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Relevant/Irrelevant

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X