Normal Topic Pre Employment Polygraph (Read 2780 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Luis Garica
New User

Pre Employment Polygraph
Jan 18th, 2009 at 12:57am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So earlier in the week I underwent a pre-employment polygraph for a non  U.S. law enforcement agency. I showed up approximatley 45 mins early for the appointment and when I finally met the polygrapher I was suprised to find out he was from my hometown. Not only was he from my hometown he also knew several of my references (whiom which he spoke highly of) and attended the same church as my family. 

For the first few hours we went over my pre-poly questionaire in which I just gave all the same answers as i had previously submitted. Then it came to the actual polygraph. I was hooked up to the machine and we went over a quick test where I pick a card and then answer "No" when he asks me "did you pick this card?" This went well and he was able to identify the card I had picked.

The actual test consisted of 10 questions, asked 3 times in random order each time. Each question I was completely honest with my answers and never employed any counter measures. After the first round of questions I was asked if "any question in particular was bothering me?" I replied, no, not really, they all are the same as far as I am concerned. We then went through the remainding two sets of questions. 

After all the questions were completed he left the room for about 10 mins and then returned saying that I had a showed a "response" on two occasions to the same question. This particular question was "Have you ever used and illegal drugs since 2003/4"? 

I answered truthfully to this question on all 3 occasions and was asked if there was something on my mind when answering this question because the recruiting department would notice it and they may ask if I had a chance to explain myself. I then replied no not in particular, but I may have been thinking back to when I have been in the presence of illegal drugs since then (friends smoking marijuana at a party) and that I may have been feeling guilty by association? This was something that was also on my pre-employment questionaire and we had talked about before the actual polygraph.I insisted I was being honest and myself hadn't taken any drugs since 2003/4. 

At this point the polygraph ended and we walked out of the building together. The whole time he was friendly with me and said that if everything went well I could expect to be through the whole process by the spring time. We also made small talk, saying that he probably knew my mother (they went to high school together) and that he may also know my uncle who is in the force. At no point did he say I had passed or failed and I never asked. He said to expect a phone call or letter in the mail in 2-3 weeks notifying me of my results.

I now have no idea what to expect because I never at any point expected to get a "response" to any of the questions asked. Also if I did show a "response" to this question would'nt I also show a "response" when they asked "Do you intend to lie on this polygraph?" which as far as I know I didn't.

Anyways, fingers crossed and we'll see what happens. Anyone with any insight or similar experiences?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Pre Employment Polygraph
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 1:29am
Quote:
Also if I did show a "response" to this question would'nt I also show a "response" when they asked "Do you intend to lie on this polygraph?" which as far as I know I didn't.

You are assuming that a "response" equates to "deception".  It doesn't.  And, as for the claim that a "response" to the drug question indicates something is "bothering you" is rather vague.  Just because a question may be  "bothering" you, doesn't necessarily mean so because you are  being deceptive or trying to hide somethin.

Remember, all the machine measures is sudden nervous reactions.  Though many polygraphers would have you believe otherwise.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Luis Garica
New User

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 1:32am
Yes I guess I was kind of assuming the worst. I guess it may have been important to mention that he never made any mention of deception or lying.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 1:42am
Many applicants are badgered for hours due to such "reactions", and are told point blank that they must be lying or holding back because of such responses.   Polygraphers often use the phrase "deception indicated" on these responses.

Sounds like you did well.  It can't hurt when you hit it off with the examiner and are able to build up a rapport with them.

Good Luck!

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Pre Employment Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X