Normal Topic Fired from two jobs because of polygraph. Does anyone know how I can clear my name? (Read 10357 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box fostermom

Fired from two jobs because of polygraph. Does anyone know how I can clear my name?
Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:12pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm looking up people who failed there polygraph to. And I came upon this web site.  I also was a victim to this ridiculous lying machine. I WAS a foster mom until the State police and the DDC&Y agency believe the lying lier detector test. I also am innocent. Now I'm marked for life"indicated".
Was fired from 2 jobs and my life is ruined. When this happens it changes your life forever. Does anyone know how I can clear my name. I'm praying there just one person that can step forward and help me clear my name to get my job back. Take care. god bless. fostermom 

This post was split from the message thread San Diego Police Department Polygraph = HORRIBLE Experience and re-named. -- AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 6:14am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: San Diego Police Department Polygraph = HORRIBLE Experience
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Quote:
Does anyone know how I can clear my name. I'm praying there just one person that can step forward and help me clear my name to get my job back. Take care. god bless. fostermom

Pailryder and/or Gary Davis,

Do either of you have an answer for this lady?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 10:09pm
Mr Cullen
I am not a police officer but I have often been asked to interview both the accuser or accusers and accused in similar cases.  If fostermom was asked by the state police to take a poly, someone  made an accusation that led to the investigation.  Are you assuming the accuser and perhaps victim lied?  I dont know and neither do you, but I know there is more to that story.  I would withhold judgement and advice until I heard both sides.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:09am by pailryder »  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:54am
Quote:
Mr Cullen
I am not a police officer but I have often been asked to interview both the accuser or accusers and accused in similar cases.  If fostermom was asked by the state police to take a poly, someone  made an accusation that led to the investigation.  Are you assuming the accuser and perhaps victim lied?  I dont know and neither do you, but I know there is more to that story.  I would withhold judgement and advice until I heard both sides.

I am assuming accusations were made, and that she was told (probably by somebody in LE who knows otherwise) that she needed to take the polygraph to "clear her name", or "eliminate herself as a suspect" (which is not true, the polygraph can't do that). 

Not knowing the truth about polygraphy, and being naive and gullible about it (like most of the public) she believed the LE person and  eagerly volunteered to take it as a way of clear her name and reputation as a "foster mom".

She then was polygraphed, told the truth, yet failed.  As a result, most people ASSUMED she was guilty and "passed judgment" on her, accordingly. 

This made her VERY frustrated and angry.   As a result, she started "looking for answers".  So, she searched everything she could about the polygraph (not something a guilty person is likely to do).  She found this BBS, learned the truth about the polygraph and made her post.

It is a common pattern.  Wish I had a dollar for every time it has happened.  But, yes, the above is all assumption, but based on personal experience and that of many others.  As far as assumptions go, most polygraph operators would probably assume she is just lying.

So, ASSUMING my version is true, and that she is not just a child molester putting on and "act" by coming to this board under an "alias" pretending to be "looking for answers" and advice.  Maybe as a way of  making herself feel less "guilty".  What should she do?  What recourse does a person like this have, assuming she is being truthful?

Thanks,   

TC

P.S. Given your recent claim that single issue polygraphs are "very accurate", and the persistent claim by polygraphers that the test is 98% accurate, one could quite easily assume she IS lying.   So, all ASSumptions aside, the million dollar question still remains:  "Are polygraphs accurate?"

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:00am by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 3:37am
Mr Cullen

I would not assume fostermom was accused of a sex crime, more likely simple physical abuse or neglect of the child/children.  I would not assume the doctors who examined the child/children found evidence of abuse/neglect.  The licensed clinical social workers for DDC&Y who removed the child/children from fostermoms care and the state police detectives who work cases like this work from facts.  While they may use poly as an investigative tool, they do not often act soley on the basis of a poly.  But, when they do assume they tend to err on the side of the child victim.  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 5:46am
Quote:
I would not assume fostermom was accused of a sex crime, more likely simple physical abuse or neglect of the child/children.  I would not assume the doctors who examined the child/children found evidence of abuse/neglect.  The licensed clinical social workers for DDC&Y who removed the child/children from fostermoms care and the state police detectives who work cases like this work from facts.  While they may use poly as an investigative tool, they do not often act soley on the basis of a poly.  But, when they do assume they tend to err on the side of the child victim.   

Hopefully, fostermom will pipe in again and state whether or not she was asked to take the poly before or after any factual evidence had been discovered (i.e. anything other than an accusation of abuse).   

In cases where there is no evidence, just an accusation, are accused persons asked to take a poly?   

Investigative tool?  Can you elaborate?  Isn't the polygraph just a form  of interrogation?   Is a polygraph chart labeled "deception indicated" considered evidence?

Regardless, family members, friends, neighbors, the media...etc. assume people to be guilty just for failing a polygraph.  And you can fail a polygraph despite telling the truth.   That is the problem, and apparent concern of fostermom.

TC
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 6:29am by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Re: Fired from two jobs because of polygraph. Does anyone know how I can clear my name?
Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:49pm
Mr Cullen

You are correct that polygraph is often used as an interrogation tool, especially, within the law enforcement community.  I have conducted tests of criminal suspects where the known case facts were so strong that I knew the requesting agency was only interested in obtaining a confession.   But you are mistaken if you believe that is the only possible use.  

Ask yourself why an attorney would pay for my services.  Certainly not to interrogate his client!  Sometimes people falsely accused have no other avenue to clear themselves.  If they did they would use it.  Polygraph is often the last option for their defense.   

As a polygraph examiner I have exclusive control over the adminstration of the exams I conduct, but no control over how the results are used after I report.  I can conduct a perfect, by our standards at least, session and the results can be misused or misunderstood by others.

My report of a polygraph result is not evidence of anything.  It is my opinion based on my training and experience, and that is all.  Many times my opinion has cleared suspects and directed the investigators in a different direction.   

The polygraph world is not monolithic and it is not perfect, but we do try to learn from related discplines and our mistakes and, with some notable exceptions, are fair and good at what we do.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 3:03pm by pailryder »  

IP Logged

Re: Fired from two jobs because of polygraph. Does anyone know how I can clear my name?
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 4:16pm
This is foster mom again. I don't know how private this is to say to much to you or who ever. I don't have anything to hide. I didn't use my name is because I didn't want it to get back to the people that are giving me this problem. I found other people that are like me. They told the truth on the  polygraph and they failed to. One was a police man to try to go into the secret service. Was he lying that he failed to? My story is we were foster parents for 5 years we had 19 infants and children in our home. We adopted our 17 infant. I took the foster infant that was in my care at the time for a visit to see her mom. When I went to pick the infant up she had marks on her face. I asked what happened. And the only answer I got was I had to take her to the agency. They took her from me and took pictures. And said this happen before and she could not come home with me. I don't know what they mean by that. One time she had a bruise on her face. But I told them what happened. They called me a lier. When they took her to the doctors she had something wrong with one of her bibs. I'm not a abuser. And I was talked into a polygraph. We were dumb all the way threw this. We only have ourselves to blame. We didn't get a lawyer until it was to late.  I used to love life.  But now since this happened. I gave up on everything. I was humiliated, called a lier, and ashamed for something I DIDN'T do.  I still can't understand what happened to me that day. All is I'm looking for is answers why this had to happen to me. And my name cleared so I can get my job back. If I could only get a judge to listen to me. And know that I'm telling the truth. Just give me a chance to clear my name. I can't with this "indicated" hanging over my head. All is I'm doing is praying for all this to go away and for me to get my life back. I'm sorry this probely sound like I'm babbling on. But I still can't grasp what happened to me. Take care. fostermom      

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 7:07pm
Quote:
They called me a lier. When they took her to the doctors she had something wrong with one of her bibs. I'm not a abuser. And I was talked into a polygraph. We were dumb all the way threw this. We only have ourselves to blame. We didn't get a lawyer until it was to late.

The main purpose of a polygraph is to get some sort of confession or self-incriminating info from you when they don't have enough REAL evidence against you.  It is an opportunity for them to interrogate you without having a lawyer present.  A police officer posted here the other day admitting to that. 

Child neglect, abuse must be especially hard to prove.  I have a two year old son who is a real dare devil and is always climbing up places and falling down.  He has had numerous bruises on his head.

I don't know what you can do at this point.  Incidently, if you had refused to take the polygraph they would probably have said you must be "hiding something".  So you just can't win.

Go see a lawyer and don't talk to anyone until you do!

TC

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 7:20pm
Quote:
Sometimes people falsely accused have no other avenue to clear themselves.  If they did they would use it.  Polygraph is often the last option for their defense. 

The polygraph has not been scientifically shown to detect deception in a reliable and accurate way.  Certainly not accurate enough to legitimately smear a person's name.  So that is a sad state of affairs.   

In cases where attorneys come to you to supposedly clear the name of their client, did the client take the original (name smearing police poly) at the advice of their attorney, or were simply talked into it by the police?  And, effectively, interrogated without the attorney present?

Thanks

TC

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 12:54pm
Mr C

So let's review.  Some people gave her this problem.  The social workers lied when they said it happened before.  The pictures were maybe faked.  The doctors lied, nothing wrong with that childs ribs.  The investigators got the wrong suspect.  

Evidence from social workers, evidence of previous problems, medical evaluation with x-rays by a doctor, investigators report with pictures, but the polygraph smeared her name.  She was fired because of the polygraph.  Everything can be blamed on the POLYGRAPH?

Par for this site!  

There is your answer, TC.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2009 at 1:28pm by pailryder »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 6:59pm
If they have all this evidence against her you mentioned above, why the need for the charade of a polygraph:  "You need to take this 98% accurate (a lie) test to clear your name (another lie)".

If the polygraph has not been scientifically shown to be accurate enough to "clear one's name", is really just used to "coerce a confession" or otherwise get the person to unwittingly produce self-incriminating information (as an "investigative tool" as you put it) , people have a right to know that.  So I guess the real blame I have for the polygraph is the way it is presented and represented.

What if she had actually PASSED her polygraph despite the photos...etc., and as a result, people assumed she was INNOCENT.  I would place just as much BLAME on the polygraph in that case.

My point is that people should give little if any weight to the results of a polygraph, either way.  I'm talking about employers, neighbors, friends...etc.  You are right, they SHOULD focus on photos, medical reports...etc.  

I'd be interested to know the affect all this evidence would have on the polygraph operator's performance.  The polygraph is rather subjective.  Do polygraphers have access to photos, medical reports...etc?  Couldn't that prejudice to polygrapher and affect his/her ability to render objective results?

TC
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2009 at 7:39pm by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:02pm
Administrator wrote on Jan 16th, 2009 at 7:43am:
An off-topic reply by "fostermom" has been moved to this topic.

So in other wards there nothing I can do to clear my name. Isn't there one person that would go out of there way to help a stranger. I wish I had the power to I WOULD. Remember the good sameritian that helped the injured person along the road. That is me. But I have no power to make that come true. Polygraphs lie I didn't lie on my polygraph. And I was shocked to death to fine out I didn't pass. Of course the detective that gave it we dealt with him before. He lies and twist the truth just to see if you make a mistake to convict you. I ask why would they let someone like that work for them (dishonest). Well they can't fire him and he's to young to retire so they had to do something with him. Well no matter how long or what it takes even if I go to my grave first. I'm going to clear my name. I want my foster parent title back. We were good at what we did. We had 19 infants and children all together. I can give you a list of names that can vouch for me. Even the case workers couldn't believe how the infants thrived when they lived with us. I loved feeding them, loving them, going shopping for them. Seeing the world through there eyes. Even one of the case workers the worked at YWCA said she couldn't believe the difference when I came to pick the one infant up. She would fuse the whole time she was visiting with her mom.  And when I entered the room even if she didn't see me she would relax in her arms. The infants were well taken care of and loved by all of us. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE I need my job back. Help me. fostermom.  Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 6:16am
Quote:
Administrator wrote on Jan 16th, 2009 at 7:43am:
An off-topic reply by "fostermom" has been moved to this topic.

So in other wards there nothing I can do to clear my name.

Your post was moved to a new message thread because it was off-topic for this thread, which is about the San Diego Police Department's polygraph program. In due time, these posts will be moved there, too.

Quote:
Isn't there one person that would go out of there way to help a stranger. I wish I had the power to I WOULD. Remember the good sameritian that helped the injured person along the road. That is me. But I have no power to make that come true. Polygraphs lie I didn't lie on my polygraph. And I was shocked to death to fine out I didn't pass. Of course the detective that gave it we dealt with him before. He lies and twist the truth just to see if you make a mistake to convict you. I ask why would they let someone like that work for them (dishonest). Well they can't fire him and he's to young to retire so they had to do something with him. Well no matter how long or what it takes even if I go to my grave first. I'm going to clear my name. I want my foster parent title back. We were good at what we did. We had 19 infants and children all together. I can give you a list of names that can vouch for me. Even the case workers couldn't believe how the infants thrived when they lived with us. I loved feeding them, loving them, going shopping for them. Seeing the world through there eyes. Even one of the case workers the worked at YWCA said she couldn't believe the difference when I came to pick the one infant up. She would fuse the whole time she was visiting with her mom.  And when I entered the room even if she didn't see me she would relax in her arms. The infants were well taken care of and loved by all of us. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE I need my job back. Help me. fostermom.  Cry Cry Cry

Unfortunately, it is difficult, if not impossible, to prove that one hasn't done something. What can be shown, however, is that polygraph "testing" has no scientific basis and that the results should not be relied upon. Polygraphy is inherently biased against the truthful, and it is common for truthful people to wrongly fail. A statistical analysis by Dr. Alan Zelicoff based on the best available polygraph field studies suggests that "if a subject fails a polygraph, the probability that she is, in fact, being deceptive is little more than chance alone; that is, one could flip a coin and get virtually the same result for a positive test based on the published data."

To vindicate yourself, and to be able to work again as a foster parent, I think you're going to need legal representation. If you don't have a lawyer, Martindale's lawyer locator service might help you find one:

http://www.martindale.com

AntiPolygraph.org would be happy to assist your lawyer with documentation of polygraphy's unreliability.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:25am
Print Post  
The last 2 Posts were moved here from Share Your Polygraph or CVSA Experience [move by] Administrator.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Fired from two jobs because of polygraph. Does anyone know how I can clear my name?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X