Normal Topic Cant believe it! (Read 2835 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Big Joe

Cant believe it!
Jan 8th, 2009 at 11:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took my second polygraph recently in which I supposbly failed.  The first time I failed because I was some drug lord and the guy couldnt believe that I only used weed a few times.  The second time for a different dept. I passed the drug question, go figure.  But "failed" on the question of lying on this application.  Now I was asked this same question on my previous poly and passed that time.  Even though this time I wrote down so much information about myself that the examinar said I was hurting myself by putting things that werent really needed.  Its so frustrating when you want to do a job and a machine has to decide your fate.  I know now the polygraph is flawed due to the questions I have passed and now failed!  Any advice????

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Cant believe it!
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 2:10am
Quote:
Even though this time I wrote down so much information about myself that the examinar said I was hurting myself by putting things that werent really needed.

That is exactly what you should NOT do.  Realize that the polygraph is nothing more than an interrogation.  It is NOT a test for truthfulness.

The machine measures your state of nervous arousal, not whether you are telling the truth.  If they told you the machine indicated you were being deception, that is simply not true.  Your experience should now prove that to you.  If a polygraph operator insists you are lying when answering a question, even though you telling the truth, it is likely you will "react" to that question.  You can tell the truth, yet react.  Being "deceptive" is NOT the possible reason for a reaction on the machine.

The less you say the better.  If you consistently "react" as measured by the machine, they will probe and probe until you give them something they can blow out of proportion to fail you with.  It has little to do with truthfulness.  If you are continually reacting, they will ASSume you are lying (even though your aren't).

They capitalize on the fact that most people are guillibe and naive, and believe in the popular cultural myth that the polygraph can detect deception.  It doesn't.  But it is a VERY good interrogation method.

TC

P.S.  The following statement from the National Academy of Sciences may be of interest to you:

"[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies.”

Applicants should read the above PRIOR to taking the test!  They'd be less likely to fall for the exmainer's false claims iduring the polygraph if they did.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 2:26am by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Big Joe

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 2:28am
All the information I gave him was pre test, in the booklit.  Post poly when he said something came up during the question I told him flat out I disagree and have no reason to waste his or my time by lying.  So I did not admit to anything after the test, I held my ground.  Maybe he was just bullshitting me and trying to get me to confess, which is pretty sad.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:17am
Good for you!

Not much you can do now except wait.  Maybe he was bullshitting.

Good luck!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Cant believe it!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X