Normal Topic My Opinion as a Police Officer (Read 9577 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Riggs
New User

My Opinion as a Police Officer
Jan 7th, 2009 at 12:04am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took a pre employment polygraph seven years ago and although I "passed" I can say it was a horrible experience, so much so I still cringe to this day.  I can remember coming out of it feeling like a complete piece of s#$t and feeling that I had no business even considering becoming a cop.  I did not get the job but with perseverance I got on later with another department (with no polygraph required).

I have since conducted investigations where I have asked subjects to submit to a polygraph.  In my experience I have spoken at length with polygraphers and observed many polygraphs.  I have come to the opinion that the polygraph procedure is ONLY useful in eliciting confessions, due to the fact that most are scared sh#@less and have been psychologically destroyed and as a result confess.  Although I have not seen false confessions (I sincerely hope) I have seen some deemed deceptive when really not and as a result their name and credibility destroyed.   

One especially comes to mind. The file was a theft of a laptop computer.  The person was a suspect due to right time, place and opportunity.  I observed the polygraph and saw the man psychologically destroyed by the process, with his results being deceptive.  Basically he was accused as being a liar and a thief which had major job consequences.  Approx six months later the computer was found stored in a closet in the place of employment, he had "NOTHING TO DO WITH IT".   

It did not matter, the damage was done.  His credibility was long since destroyed.

I am looking to change employers, however I will never submit to another polygraph exam.  They are junk and the risks are to high.   It saddens me to see how this junk science is being used and lives destroyed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: My Opinion as a Police Officer
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 1:10am
Riggs,

Polygraphers who have posted here would disagree with you.  According to them, the polygraph is NOT an interrogation, but is a scientific test for truthfulness.  BTW, the DOD polygraph school includes coverage of an interrogation guide which can be downloaded from the bottom right hand side of the  home page of this website.

They also claim that "false positives" are extremely rare.  Some claim they don't happen at all.  I find that hard to believe when you consider the fact that the polygraph failure rate at the FBI is near 50%.  Half of those applying at the FBI are liars?  That should be reported by the media!

When asking people to take the polygraph, did you say you needed them to do so to "eliminate them as suspects"?

Would you now agree that most criminal polygraphs are really done to take the opportunity to interrogate suspects WITHOUT A LAWYER PRESENT?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 4:01pm
I've taken three as a cop.  The last time I sat down for one, (after researching the subject thoroughly) I refused to sign the hold harmless agreement, telling him that I did not believe the polygraph was accurate, and that I was not giving up the right to sue in the event his results were not accurate.  He then refused to give me the polygraph, even though I told him that I was willing to take the test, just not give up my right to sue.  It was rather amusing.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Riggs
New User

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 10:25pm
I would ask the person if they were willing to take a polygraph, I never stated it, but I eluded that it would help eliminate them as a suspect.   

I see its (polygraph) only use as being an interrogation tool, one of many (Reids Nine steps being another example of interrogation).   

Although every case is different, If a confession is obtained, further investigative activity may be required to validate the confession.  The pass/fail results of a polygraph exam should be taken with a grain of salt or not at all. The real meat is the post exam interrogation which starts with a direct positive confrontation.   

There are times when a dirtbag needs an interrogation (polygraph or other) to get to the bottom of an issue, however its use for for pre-employment is junk.   

I believe main problem of its overuse is the public's lack of knowledge on the subject and the media's portrayal that its infallible (see its use on Dr Phil, every friggin crime drama etc).  If the truth about polygraphs had as much exposure as its misconceptions, it would be used very differently or not at all.

My two cents.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 12:18am
Riggs,

Thank you for your candid statement.  People need to hear it.  If a police detective asks you to take a polygraph to "eliminate" you as a "suspect", they are NOT being honest.  In fact, they are being a bit deceptive,  They really just want a chance to interrogate you without a lawyer present to coerce a confession.  Hopefully, not a false confession.

If the suspect knows they had absolutely NOTHING to do with the crime under investigation, they have nothing to gain by taking a polygraph.

OTOH, if the person has been FORMALLY CHARGED the police can still interrogate the suspect with a lawyer present.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pat Riot

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 2:46pm
How about you speak up, take a stand and help people instead of cowering and looking for a new job? We can't do it without people like you!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box matthewstephen

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:35pm
to riggs
i hade the same problem wondering what department you went to that dont use polygraph test

thank you

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MrGiggles

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 8:02am
T.M. Cullen wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 12:18am:
Riggs,

Thank you for your candid statement.  People need to hear it.  If a police detective asks you to take a polygraph to "eliminate" you as a "suspect", they are NOT being honest.  In fact, they are being a bit deceptive,  They really just want a chance to interrogate you without a lawyer present to coerce a confession.  Hopefully, not a false confession.

If the suspect knows they had absolutely NOTHING to do with the crime under investigation, they have nothing to gain by taking a polygraph.

OTOH, if the person has been FORMALLY CHARGED the police can still interrogate the suspect with a lawyer present.

TC

Question,  Can the police interrogate him with a lawyer present after a formal charge or does he still have the right to remain silent. Always been a little sketchy on that point.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 6:08pm
I think you have the right to remain silent, period.

TC

IP Logged

My Opinion as a Police Officer

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X