Normal Topic Negoiate GS Pay (Read 6145 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Navy
New User

Negoiate GS Pay
Jan 6th, 2009 at 11:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I retired from the Navy as a E6 with a Bachelors Degree and a working on a Master Degree and was offered a GS-4 job Step 1, Should I accept this level or try and negoiate to GS-4 Step 5.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Negoiate GS Pay
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 1:47am
Dear Navy,

Your job posting will be very descriptive about the pay scale and what it takes to qualify for it.  The pay difference between Step 1 and Step 5 at the GS Grade 4 is not significant, I would not negotiate if you are interested in it as a stepping stone to further opportunities.  I am surprised that you would take a Federal job at all considering that there will be a pension offset against you for the federal salary being paid which will be subtracted against your pension.  You would be much better off applying for a civilian contractor job or state position that will not directly affect your pension and offer you additional Social Security Benefits when you are older.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box skip.webb
New User

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 2:25pm
Navy, The information provided to you by Fair Chance is totally incorrect.  There is NO pension offset for a retired military person who works for the government as a civilian employee.  Years ago there was but it was for commissioned officers and even then did not effect non-commissioned officers or even reserve officers.

As for your question about negotiating a higher step, you can always try to do that.  If you do, you need to justify your experience, education or special skills that make you to be the most qualified or uniquely qualified for the position as the hiring authority must justify your selection at a higher grade in writing.  It is often done in government but usually because the applicant has superior skills or knowledge about the particular job that makes him highly qualified to fill the position.  Good luck in your efforts and thank you for you service to our country.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 2:44am
Navy,

Sorry for the incorrect pension offset advice.  Too many years out of the service.  I never tried to be a JAG or Yeoman.  I still stand by the fact that you should not quibble over about $3000 per year if you think the job potential is worth it.  Most federal jobs will qualify you at the GS-6/7 level with a related BS degree to the job function.

This website was not originally designed for advice regarding federal employment.  I think it reflects on how poorly our government is doing its job of advertising jobs and careers that so many people seek advice concerning federal jobs on an "Anti-Polygraph" website.  You should be able to get all the information about it on a site from OPM or USAJOBS.com but you can not.  That is why you posted a question here.

This much I can tell you for a fact.  The FBI is advertising over 3000 jobs at this moment.  They will probably get over 800,000 applicants which will be reduced to 400,000 fully qualified applicants.  One out of two final applicants will be eliminated by the polygraph.  Be ready to roll the dice if you want a job at the FBI.  If you fail the polygraph for any reason, your future chances of federal employment are greatly reduced.

Regards.

IP Logged

Negoiate GS Pay

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X