Normal Topic Upcoming NSA polygraph (Read 8578 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Surebet

Upcoming NSA polygraph
Jan 1st, 2009 at 2:06pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have my first polygraph session with the NSA within the next ten days. I hadn't even really paid the polygraph much mind until a friend of mine told me that his sister had tried several times to get into the NSA and failed the polygraph every time and never could make it, which started to get me nervous. Then, I Googled the polygraph and ended up here, which made it even worse. I'm losing sleep here!  Shocked

I wasn't initially worried because I've never done any illegal drugs in my life, never smoked, never even taken a single drink of alcohol, never gotten so much as a speeding ticket, graduated with a 3.83 GPA, been happily married for five years, and have a great family - anyways, I figured I'd have no trouble at all with the polygraph, as my life has been fairly innocuous. I really don't have any excuses for not passing with flying colors... except now, I'm all paranoid after hearing other people's experiences, and worried that will make me fail!

I really don't want any advice on how to beat the polygraph, just some pointers on how to be calm during the process and what I should avoid. I'm not really anti-polygraph at all and I don't have a hostile view toward it, I just want it to be as accurate as possible to reflect my candidacy. 

Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Upcoming NSA polygraph
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 3:23pm
Knowing more about polygraph procedure and what to expect might help to put your mind at least somewhat at ease. You'll find it explained in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF). The NSA routinely uses the thoroughly discredited Relevant/Irrelevant (R/I) technique to screen applicants. You'll find a discussion of this simplistic and completely invalid technique toward the end of the chapter. The R/I technique is also documented in Chapter 12 of the Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handbook.

You'll find personal statements of NSA (and other agency) polygraph victims here:

https://antipolygraph.org/statements.shtml

And for more on the NSA hiring process including the polygraph, see "Interviewing With an Intelligence Agency (or, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Fort Meade)":

http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/nsa-interview.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Surebet

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 5:05pm
Ugh... talk about making it worse   Grin

I had come across that article "... Way to Fort Meade" before, which is kind of what started it. The weird thing is that my process has been almost backwards to his - as if the last thing I'm going to do is get my poly. 

I had also read a little of "The Lie...", but had not read the Deception Examiner Handbook. Frankly, the handbook makes it sound fairly routine - but then again, I guess it's all in what your perspective is.

Wish me luck. Either way, I'll post my experience here. Any additional tips from someone that has been through the process would be well-received!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 9:45pm
Surebet:

Relax friend.  While I know you REALLY want the job you are applying to, some things may be beyond your control.  Like the results of the polygraph.  You can answer all questions honestly, and still fail.  That's simply the reality of the thing.  You have no control over it, and reading the material (postings) here will make you crazy.  I would recommend reading the Lie Behind the Lie Detector, to understand how it works.

The best you can do for yourself is to relax, understand that receiving a pass from the poly examiner is not within your control, although you can help by being honest and relax.  I also don't see any harm in employing the countermeasures you read in TLBLD, if you want to increase your odds slightly.  But, it is still a roll of the dice.  Be pround that you made it this far, and go into it positive that you will pass.   

Good luck.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JohnDoe30

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2009 at 9:38pm
The polygraph is a very intense and nerve jarring experience.  I've found out recently that my clearance has been completed, but I had to take the polygraph four different times, with four different examiners to get through it.

I myself haven't had what one would call a stellar background as you seem to have, and even though I fully disclosed all of my inner most secrets and pass indiscretions (which by itself is incredibly difficult), I still failed multiple times on the counter-intelligence portion (which is impossible since I have no foreign national contacts, nor have I ever had access to classified material), as well as questions related to major crimes.  Eventually, the fourth examiner went through a different pattern of questioning, specifically targeting questions I was having trouble with.  Rather than asking a generalized question, he broke down a concept into a series of focused questions, which apparently greatly helped them get a clear reading.

The only advice that I can really give is get to the exam site early, give yourself plenty of time to get into a calm state of mind.  When you're in the chair, focus on your breathing. That part is big.  I was told on a number of occasions that I was timing my breath with answering Yes or No to a question.  Also, don't be paranoid if you fail the first time.  Everyone I know who has ever passed a polygraph, regardless of how clean their background is, failed their first time out.

Good Luck!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2009 at 10:03pm
Quote:
Everyone I know who has ever passed a polygraph, regardless of how clean their background is, failed their first time out.

I had lunch at the hotel next to the Friendship Annex with a few other applicants who took the poly on the same day.  They ALL said their examiner claimed they showed deception after the first chart run.

I think they do this INTENTIONALLY to convince you there must be something "bothering you" about one or more  question.  In that way they can get you to self examine and volunteer info as to why you are having trouble with the question.   

People mistakenly believe that a "reaction" on the chart equates to "deception".  They end up questioniing their own critical judgement. 
The examiner gets them to  think:  "Gosh!  What could be bothering me?   Could it be that time I did "this" or the time I did "that"?....

What they should be doing is thinking:  "What?  That's bullshit!  I am telling the truth.  The machine is wrong then!  This is a crock of shit!"   
You don't want to say that though!

It's just a clever interrogation technique meant to get you talking.  It is easy to fall for.  I fell for it, and it seems you did too.  The problem is that they will blow things out of all proportion if necessary to fail you or validate their stupid chart reading.

It can go either way.  I passed my 1995 poly, yet failed my 2000 poly, even though they used this technique during both exams.  Why?  I did not divulge anything during the 1995 experience (not that I had anything to divulge in the first place).  During the test I passed I suggested I was having trouble because he was claiming I was being deceptive when I was actually telling the truth.  "Wouldn't that cause a reaction?", I asked.  He quickly changed the subject......

I agree, don't go in there paranoid.  And do not be confrontational with them.  Not on an employment polygraph.  Just realize that this is the game they are playing with you.  Just let them think they have "flustered" you a little bit, when actually you're not because you are on to them!

And DO NOT tell them you researched the polygraph and mention that you have been to this Site!!!   

TC
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2009 at 10:28pm by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Upcoming NSA polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X