Poll
Poll Question: Possible DQ with Police Departments
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: Se7en on: Dec 7th, 2020 at 3:52am »
Normal Topic forgot to mention something in oral interview...now what?! (Read 8673 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box michelle baker

forgot to mention something in oral interview...now what?!
Dec 1st, 2008 at 7:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So I had my Oral Interview and told them I have never smoked pot which is the truth. After leaving the interview I remembered back in College when I ate a WEED BROWNIE!!!

Now I take the CVSA this Friday and am soooo scared. Will they catch this lie? Should I mention it to them before I take the test? Is this even important, I mean it was 4 years ago when I ate that stupid brownie.

Help!!! Please help!! Im nervous and my career is on the line.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: forgot to mention something in oral interview...now what?!
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 8:20pm
Michelle

You DIDN'T lie. They asked if you had ever SMOKED pot. When you are asked this question, heep your mind on "SMOKED". Study the information provided by this website and gain the confidence that this device and it's operator is so much OBAMA/REID/PELOSI (BS) which ever you want to choose, then stay calm. Treat the experience as the joke that it is, answer in the same practiced monotone every time and I bet you'll do OK. Just remember DON'T LET THEM CON/SCARE YOU INTO ANY ADMITIONS. That's a big part of their game. Stick to your guns.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 6:17am
I disagree.

I think you should call the department or agency to which you are applying and speak to your background investigator prior to your CVSA.  Tell them about your omission and don't try to conceal it.

If the sum total of your illicit drug-using experiences is eating a marijuana brownie while in college, that is not a disqualifier for any law enforcement agency with which I am familiar.  However, lying about it will likely DQ from most, if not all, agencies.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Elizabeth Lowry

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:00pm
Had an interview with an oil company.  They asked if I had a relative working for a government agency.  I replied no.  After the thank you note was sent I realized that I had forgotten that my brother worked for the government.  I went back and corrected the answer on the online application after I was also asked in the interview and responded as No.  Should I call the hiring manager and explain the mistake?  The interview went well and the follow up response is said to be next week.  Leave it alone or call?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 2:20pm
Quote:
Should I call the hiring manager and explain the mistake? 

If you did, it would take the burden off of you and you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Quote:
Had an interview with an oil company.  They asked if I had a relative working for a government agency.  I replied no.  After the thank you note was sent I realized that I had forgotten that my brother worked for the government.  I went back and corrected the answer on the online application after I was also asked in the interview and responded as No.  Should I call the hiring manager and explain the mistake?  The interview went well and the follow up response is said to be next week.  Leave it alone or call?

At least, in the private sector (except for private security and pharmaceutical firms) you won't have to worry about being polygraphed as part of your application.
Ironically, federal law prohibits use of the polygraph in the private sector with the two exceptions noted above.  Yet, the federal government remains the largest (mis)user of the polygraph for employment screening. Shocked

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:16pm
Quote:

Another point:  At least in the private sector, employers simply don't have the resources to conduct  the grueling level of BI's that Uncle Sam all too often insists upon! Roll Eyes

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:21pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 6:17am:
I disagree.

I think you should call the department or agency to which you are applying and speak to your background investigator prior to your CVSA.  Tell them about your omission and don't try to conceal it.

If the sum total of your illicit drug-using experiences is eating a marijuana brownie while in college, that is not a disqualifier for any law enforcement agency with which I am familiar.  However, lying about it will likely DQ from most, if not all, agencies.

It might be particularly problematic for an IC agency or the FBI.
BTW, your attempting to characterize ingesting a marijuana-laced brownie as something inconsequential is not entirely accurate.  "Cooked" marijuana as an ingredient in foodstuffs is far more potent than, say, smoking a joint or "bong"! Smiley

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:23pm
Quote:
Is this even important, I mean it was 4 years ago when I ate that stupid brownie.

For the feds, "4 years ago" is still considered to be fairly recent for BI purposes.   Embarrassed

YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 3:12pm
xenonman[quote author=263B303130333F305E0 link=1228159328/5#5 date=1487013198][quote author= link=1228159328/3#3 date=1486123247]
Ironically, federal law prohibits use of the polygraph in the 
private sector with the two exceptions noted above.  

Not entirely correct.  There is also an exemption for employer investigation of specific instances of workplace theft.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

forgot to mention something in oral interview...now what?!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X