Normal Topic Anxious In Seattle (Read 7991 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 7 year popo

Anxious In Seattle
Nov 24th, 2008 at 5:26am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm a 7 year cop looking for a better job. I also have OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder, (an anxiety disorder). I did not pass the USSS poygraph due to my OCD and the nervousness associated wtih it. I am scared to take another polygraph due to these issues but really would like to get a better job.

Have there ever been any studies done  or does anyone have any information on polygraphs and anxiety disorders??????

Should I tell the next poygrapher of the OCD????

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Anxious In Seattle
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 6:10am
Your failure to pass the USSS polygraph wasn't necessarily associated with your anxiety disorder. Polygraphy is junk science and has no validity as a diagnostic test. The procedure is inherently biased against the truthful, and false positive outcomes are common even in people without an anxiety disorder.

Mentioning your anxiety disorder to your polygrapher is unlikely to help you. There is no standard protocol for polygraphers to follow when polygraphing people with anxiety disorders. Instead, mentioning your condition is likely to prejudice your polygrapher against you. For example, the polygrapher may well surmise that you're offering an excuse in advance for why you don't expect to pass. In addition, your polygrapher may have a personally belief that anyone with an anxiety disorder has no business being in law enforcement, and such bias could influence results.

I suggest that you arm yourself with knowledge before your polygraph. You'll find a thorough debunking of poygraphy, along with suggestions on how to reduce the risk of a false positive outcome, in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which you can download as a 1 mb PDF file here:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 4:18pm
yep! George is right. I have no anxiety disorder and..... I failed by tell the truth

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:42pm
Quote:
Should I tell the next poygrapher of the OCD????

You are under no obligation to discuss your medical history with a polygraph operator.  Did your application ask whether or not you suffer from a psychological disorder?  If so, list it.  If not, it's none of their business.

BTW, I also suffer from an anxiety disorder (PD), and have a brother who suffers from OCD.  Not a big deal.  As for people with OCD working in LE, that is up to the hiring authority to decide.  Hey, look at "Monk", it makes him a better detective!   Smiley

Quote:

Good Luck

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 7 year popo

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 6:02am
My question is not in working with OCD. I am a highly decorated cop in one of America's most violent cities. My question is if ithe OCD will effect my polygraph results. Thank you for the support though, and I am with you in the fact that it really is not a big deal. 

I just felt extreme anxiety with the polygraph. OCD is a worriers disease. I spent a year of my life going through the USSS process only to be denied due to anxiety I had during the polygraph. I always wanted to work for the USSS but none of my medals, consistent good work, serious criminal prosecutions or exemplary work history meant Sh@t to them. Only the 3 hours worth of polygraph B.S.  It was the worst experience of my life. Now I guess I'm blackballed from federal employment due to some junk science. I am just scared of going through another lengthy employment process only to have it happen again. 

Does the USSS have the highest failure rate?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 6:27am
Quote:
Does the USSS have the highest failure rate?  

I don't know whether the USSS's polygraph failure rate exceeds the FBI's ~50% failure rate, but the USSS polygraph unit has a reputation as the most abusive in federal law enforcement when it comes to pre-employment screening.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 8:28am
Quote:
My question is if ithe OCD will effect my polygraph results. Thank you for the support though, and I am with you in the fact that it really is not a big deal.

You are probably talking about the "squiggley marks" on the chart.  You level of anxiety during the polygraph may, or may not effect that.  My best guess is NOT, since all the machine measures is the RELATIVE CHANGES in your F3 (fight/flight/freeze) responses when asked questions, not your general level of anxiety.    But that is not what ends up causing you to fail.

What causes failure is the information you provide them and how they distort and blow that info out of all proportion after you give it to them.   Remember, it is not a test, it is an INTERROGATION.  Don't let them con you into providing them the rope they need to hang you with.   The key is realizing that the machine can't tell if you are being deceptive, and they are just using the device as a prop to get you talking.

. Quote:
I always wanted to work for the USSS but none of my medals, consistent good work, serious criminal prosecutions or exemplary work history meant Sh@t to them. Only the 3 hours worth of polygraph B.S.

Unbelievable, isn't it.  Now you know why many polygraph operators are so arrogant.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Anxious In Seattle

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X