Normal Topic Are medical questions allowed before or during a polygraph "test"? (Read 3749 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lou Tramiel

Are medical questions allowed before or during a polygraph "test"?
Nov 3rd, 2008 at 5:10am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So I recently took a polygraph for pre-emloyment at a law enforcement agency. During the pre-test phase the examiner went down a list of medical questions which I felt were intrusive and irrelevant.

I have a medical condition (diabetes) that I was not willing to share at this particular point of the process, having read that the medical exam comes at the end of the hiring process. So when he asked me about medical conditions I refused to answer, and he was shoecked. He said I had to answer, otherwise I could not take the test.

So I argued that "what do medical condtions have to do with this test?" TO my knowledge the test was to determine the "accuracy" of what I had put in the application, nothing more.

He insisted that I had to answer, and that I had to say whhatever medications, if any, I was taking. My reply was, "are you a doctor?"

So he says "I''l be back". He went and got the background investigator that had been assigned to me. I explaine my point, and he said that if I did not answer the medical questions they would not administer the test. And then, I would not be considered further for employment. So I decided to stick to my principles, and said "so I guess I will be on my way, and I will be talking to my attorney."

Naturally they have rescinded the conditional offer of employment, and that's fine, but I wonder about the legality of them asking about medical questions when this was NOT a medical exam. To my understanding this must be done only by a doctor.

So, was what they did legal? Should I in fact get an attorney? I know it's not a big deal about the diabetes, but it's a matter of principle. I was already angry at having to be subjected to the idiocy of the polygraph, but then for them to try to force me to give up confidential medical information for no cause, that was too much. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Are medical questions allowed before or during a polygraph "test"?
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:31am
Lou,

I'm not in a position to provide legal advice, but it seems to me that the department has violated the Americans With Disabilities Act, and I think you should contact an attorney with experience in labor law in this regard.

The Los Angeles Police Department's Police Officer Applicant Polygraph Examination Waiver form, for example, explicitly precludes the line of questioning to which you were subjected:

Quote:
The Polygraph Examiner will administer the examination in accordance with the limitations imposed by the Americans with Disabilities Act. This Act prohibits the Polygraph Examiner from asking questions about medical and psychological conditions. Police Officer applicants are not required to disclose any of the aforementioned factors. Due to this prohibition, the Polygraph Examiner is prevented from being able to assess whether it would be recommended to undergo a polygraph examination.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:38am
Quote:
Naturally they have rescinded the conditional offer of employment, and that's fine, but I wonder about the legality of them asking about medical questions when this was NOT a medical exam. To my understanding this must be done only by a doctor.

I think if you will check with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, you will find that once a prospective employer has tendered a "Conditional Offer of Employment",questions regarding Medical, Psychological or disability issues are no longer prohibited. This includes similar questions asked by a polygrapher. The EEOC has an 800 number and they respond to questions via email. 

There is also a page devoted to ADA   http://www.ada.gov/

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gary davis

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:04am
bottom line no conditional offer no medical questions..  to make such an inquiry before the conditional offer violates the ADA

gary davis

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lou T.

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 5:42pm
Got it thanks, I am more clear on how this works. I have another polygraph coming up soon for another agency, and this one is before any conditional offer. It will be interesting to see if they will ask medical questions or not. I have to decide now what to do in that case.

On one hand, I would probably simply refuse to answer and quote the ADA as reason why they are not allowed to ask medical questions, although I can pretty much kiss the polygraph good bye, as I have no dount that the "examiner" will not take kindly to me "teaching" him the law, and he will surely fail me.

The second option is to answer every medical question in the  negative, and when and if I get to the medical exam part (where I will be straightforward), if they see a discrepancy between what I answered in the polygraph and the medical I can just say that the polygraph was not entitled to ask any medical questions, so I just answered no to ignore them and move on, so my answers are invalid.

They could, I suppose, claim I lied in the polygraph and then disqualify me, but wouldn't I have the ADA as a defense?

So what should I do? Refuse to answer, or just ive negative answers to any medical questions?

IP Logged

Are medical questions allowed before or during a polygraph "test"?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X