Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How do I know what a contorl Question And Relevant Question is? (Read 17024 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Conquistador
New User

Re: How do I know what a contorl Question And Relevant Question is?
Reply #15 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 9:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well I thank all of you for the clarification and for those of you who tried to throw me off I just want to say I am pro countermeasures because I have novice knowledge about the polygraph and with just using common sense if counter measures did not work then why would they need to use pressure sensitive pads to try to detect such measures?... 

Another Question I have is when they ask you to do a math problem in your head does that raise your physical responses?..or does it keep them neutral?..because a family friend of mine said she did mental math during the whole process of the polygraph and passed?...

The last Question I have is should I use counter measures on irrelevant questions? or just the Control?....I apologize if that has been asked a million times I just want to make sure...

I again thank you for your time responding...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:20am
Quote:
The last Question I have is should I use counter measures on irrelevant questions? or just the Control?....I apologize if that has been asked a million times I just want to make sure...

You employ CM on the CONTROL questions only!  If and only if there are control  questions.  They compare your reaction to the control questions and relevant questions.  If you react more to the control questions you pass.

DO NOT USE CMs ON IRRELEVANT QUESTIONS!  That is, questions like ("Is your name...?"  "Were you born in ...?"...etc.

Note:  With some test formats, you don't need to use CMs.   For example, in 2000 I took the polygraph at the NSA.  They used a format in which there were NO CONTROL QUESTIONS.  There were only relevant questions (4 counter intelligence questions), and then some filler questions ("Is your name...?", "Were you born in....?").  In that format, if you react (above a certain threshold) more on one RQ, versus the other RQs, you fail.  

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

New User

Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:21am
T.M. Cullen wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:20am:
You employ CM on the CONTROL questions only!If and only if there are controlquestions.They compare your reaction to the control questions and relevant questions.If you react more to the control questions you pass.

Thank you for your reply I still have one another lingering question though about doing mental math as a counter measure.
Does it raise your physical responses or shifts your physical respones to a some what neutral state?..

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 2:23am
Quote:
Thank you for your reply I still have one another lingering question though about doing mental math as a counter measure.
Does it raise your physical responses or shifts your physical respones to a some what neutral state?..

You do difficult math in your head (like counting backwards by 3 from 2317 as fast as you can).  It raises your response, unless you're a math geek, in which case it gives you a hard-on!

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

New User

Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:50am
lol..alrightee I have another one that popped into my head and I again thank you for you knowledge this matter....
But as I recall I asked you about the using the counter measure if they asked me have I ever stolen anything?...even though on my background packet I filled out that I have mistakenly took a pen from work in the past...

You agreed that I should use counter measure on it..

When I fess up to the fact that I have....you said if I got a dickhead examiner it would be a problem..
what would happen if he asked me to write down that I have stolen a pen?..would this situation realistically happen?...(signed comfession)

Because I remember reading the book and it saying never to sign such a thing..but I am confused on this one because it is on my background packet..

sorry if I seem a bit worried over catious Cheesy

I still see the polygrapher as an escaped mental patient who had tied me up to a card board box which can detect my lies
LOL  Grin

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #20 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 6:44pm
Conquistador,

If you disclosed that you accidently took a been on your application of course you should NOT use CM on that. 

Just admit to it, and move on.

For what purpose are you taking the polygraph?  Criminal suspect?  Job applicant?  Which agency?

You DO NOT use CM on relevant questions!  If this is a LE agency, stealing would probably be a RELEVANT issue.  So admit to taking the pen, BY MISTAKE< but don't admit to anything else! 

Don't sign anything, and do not volunteer anything of a self incriminating nature concerning RELEVANT questions, NO MATTER how INSIGNIFICANT you may think it is.  Except for the pen which you've already discclosed, and they probably don't give a shit about!

TC
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2008 at 10:00pm by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 8:45pm
TC,

You make want to look at the Wiki link again--it appears to have been edited by a polygraph operator.

By the references to "Dr. George Maschke," it would be reasonable to conclude that the editing may have been done by the same polygraph operator recently ejected from this site.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #22 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:59pm
YIKES!!

That guy is desperate to keep the truth from being exposed.

TC
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2008 at 12:31am by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #23 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:32am
The wikiHow article was heavily vandalized, evidently by a polygrapher using the screen name JBBOOKS, on 22 October 2008:

http://www.wikihow.com/index.php?title=Cheat-a-Polygraph-Test-(Lie-Detector)&dif...

This was one week after I posted an observation on the article's popularity here:

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1154623716/52#52

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Phillip F Queeg
New User

Reply #24 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:44am
Don't people change wikis all the time? My college professor banned using them for research because they change all the time and they aren't very accurate.

I think thats one of the base rules for wikihow is that anyone is supposed to be able to change them right?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #25 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 6:27am
In case anyone doesn't already know, J.B. Books was a character in the movie THE SHOOTIST with John Wayne.

Later Pilgrims!

TC

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #26 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:54pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:20am:
Quote:

You employ CM on the CONTROL questions only!  If and only if there are control  questions.  They compare your reaction to the control questions and relevant questions.  If you react more to the control questions you pass.

DO NOT USE CMs ON IRRELEVANT QUESTIONS!  That is, questions like ("Is your name...?"  "Were you born in ...?"...etc.

Note:  With some test formats, you don't need to use CMs.   For example, in 2000 I took the polygraph at the NSA.  They used a format in which there were NO CONTROL QUESTIONS.  There were only relevant questions (4 counter intelligence questions), and then some filler questions ("Is your name...?", "Were you born in....?").  In that format, if you react (above a certain threshold) more on one RQ, versus the other RQs, you fail.  

TC

Indeed, the NSA's standby polygraph technique is the Relevant/Irrelevant one. However, most law enforcement agencies use some variant of the Control Question Test to screen applicants. One of the most commonly used probable-lie control questions involves theft from an employer. If a law enforcement applicant admits to pilfering a pen or two when asked, "Did you ever take anything from an employer?" the question will be re-phrased, "Other than what you told me, did you ever take anything from an employer?" The question is still a control question, and the examinee's denial is still expected to be less than fully truthful. And an examinee using countermeasures would still want to show a reaction to this question.

It should be borne in mind, however, that some agencies use a relevant question about major theft from an employer. For example, a relevant question reportedly used by the LAPD is, "Have you stolen more than four hundred dollars in cash or property from an employer?" If a question about theft from an employer involves theft beyond a significant dollar threshold, it's safe to assume that it is a relevant question.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #27 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 10:25am
Phillip F Queeg wrote on Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:44am:
Don't people change wikis all the time? My college professor banned using them for research because they change all the time and they aren't very accurate.

I think thats one of the base rules for wikihow is that anyone is supposed to be able to change them right?

I don't think you understand.  No one is claiming that people cannot change wikis, or that wikis are not changed frequently.

George's post was simply pointing out that the wiki article was changed, either by a person who believes the polygraph is a valid test or by a person who doesn't want correct information on the polygraph to be publicly available.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 9:49pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Nov 6th, 2008 at 6:44pm:
Conquistador,

If you disclosed that you accidently took a been on your application of course you should NOT use CM on that. 

Just admit to it, and move on.

For what purpose are you taking the polygraph?  Criminal suspect?  Job applicant?  Which agency?

You DO NOT use CM on relevant questions!  If this is a LE agency, stealing would probably be a RELEVANT issue.  So admit to taking the pen, BY MISTAKE< but don't admit to anything else! 

Don't sign anything, and do not volunteer anything of a self incriminating nature concerning RELEVANT questions, NO MATTER how INSIGNIFICANT you may think it is.  Except for the pen which you've already discclosed, and they probably don't give a shit about!

TC

I am applying for Custody Assistant with the Los Angeles Sheriff Department and am currently waiting for my background to clear. Next I  will be applying for border Patrol are you familar with the test procedure either one employs?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 6:09pm
Conquistador wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 9:49pm:
I am applying for Custody Assistant with the Los Angeles Sheriff Department and am currently waiting for my background to clear. Next Iwill be applying for border Patrol are you familar with the test procedure either one employs?

I believe that both LASD and Border Patrol use a probable-lie control question test (CQT) for pre-employment screening. The Border Patrol's specific polygraph technique is likely some variation of the Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test, the examiner's guide for which you'll find here:

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-lepet.pdf

And you'll find a pamphlet produced by the LASD polygraph section here:

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/lasd-polygraph-pamphlet.pdf

The pamphlet's sample polygraph report features check boxes with, presumably, the section's most commonly used polygraph techniques: ZCT (Zone Comparison Test), MGQT (Modified General Question Test), AFMGQT (Air Force Modified General Question Test), and POT (Peak of Tension). Of these, the most likely techniques that would be used in a screening situation are the MGQT and AFMGQT. Regarding these techniques, see p. 364 ff. of James Allan Matte's Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

How do I know what a contorl Question And Relevant Question is?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X