Normal Topic Affairs and poly questions (Read 4482 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OffWithHerHead

Affairs and poly questions
Oct 22nd, 2008 at 10:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
What kind of questions will be asked that might lead me to confess an affair?  Are there are instances where I can admit to an affair and still keep my TopSecret clearance with the CIA?  It happened once after I have been married for many years - just so happens that this is very recent and I am switching companies...I fear the change of jobs may trigger my poly since it's overdue.  I'm feeling a bit raw these days and it's just not a good time for me mentally to be polyed.

I'm not saying that what happened is right. I know why it happened and actually was seeking medical/mental help just prior to it happening .  I knew I was susceptible and I sought help.  I think it was too little too late.

I'm trying to decide if I should try to find a job that uses a lesser clearance (so that I don't lose it all by a failed poly) or should I try to admit nothing and risk losing my great salary (and getting all the questions from friends and family).  I don't lie well.  My last poly took 3 times and I had nothing to hide.  Each one seems to get worse for me. I would never do anything that could leak secure info....   

Should I just walk away from my career and start over?  Or, change jobs and wait to see what happens on my next poly?  It seems easier to let my clearance go at this point but I truly don't think I'm a security risk.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Affairs and poly questions
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 4:54am
Any line of questioning about your sex life could lead to questions about extramarital affairs. At pp. 92-94 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, you'll find documentation on sexually-oriented questions that CIA applicants and employees have been asked. See also the personal statement of "No Such Author."

While I have no firsthand knowledge regarding the CIA, I know that in the military there are many with top secret clearances who have been unfaithful to their spouses.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OffWithHerHead

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 3:53pm
Wow - that stuff made me feel worse, not better.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 2:34am
Quote:
Wow - that stuff made me feel worse, not better.  

Hi Off

Well, I personally agree that cheating on your wife doesn't necessarily make you a security risk. If it did we have several presidents that would have made terrible security risks.
That being said this site is not about lying and getting away with it. If the job you took required you to have no sexual skeletons then I think you've already covered your options in your OP.
I know thats not what you want to hear.
Is it possible that if your honest about your sexual indiscretions you may be still able to keep your clearance? Or is it vital to your job that you stay "clean"?
Good luck to you what ever you decide. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PolyGuyExperience

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:36pm
The only way you will get away with this in your polygraph is if you confess it to your wife because they will ask you if you confided in your spouse.  Obviously, that can be used as black mail.   

If you admit to this in the poly and you haven't told your wife, expect to fail.

IP Logged

Affairs and poly questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X