Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ATF Agents Beat the Polygraph to Infiltrate Mongols Motorcycle Gang (Read 52013 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Re: ATF Agents Beat the Polygraph to Infiltrate Mongols Motorcycle Gang
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
G Scalabr wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:18pm:
Yet it is illegal to administer a haircut without a license in all of them.

Gino Where did you go to school? Your research is lacking is not much better than Notguilty1.

Barber/haircutting licensing statutes ONLY apply to people who charge for their services. In every state that requires Polygraph licensing the licensing requirements apply whether or not a fee is charged. Therefore people are allowed to cut hair in all fifty states without a license.

Sancho Panza
P.S.  for future reference If Notguilty1 speaks up from the amen pew then your facts are probably wrong.
sp

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 3:11am
SanchoPanza wrote on Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:43am:

Gino Where did you go to school? Your research is lacking is not much better than Notguilty1.

Barber/haircutting licensing statutes ONLY apply to people who charge for their services. In every state that requires Polygraph licensing the licensing requirements apply whether or not a fee is charged. Therefore people are allowed to cut hair in all fifty states without a license.

Sancho Panza
P.S.  for future reference If Notguilty1 speaks up from the amen pew then your facts are probably wrong.
sp

Seems as if Sancho is the self proclaimed expert in all that is and who knows that may even be so. 
However he still FAILS to realize that in the states that licensing is NOT required for Polygraphs it doesn't matter if you charge or not it's still a pseudo-science that is not deemed in need of licensing by what he admits is nearly half the states in our country.

However, in ALL states licensing is required to cut hair. Since most here can agree that we are talking about a "profession" as in 
"earning a living"  I think the charging for services was implied. I don't know too many people walking around with a Polygraph under their arm as a party entertainment. ( though it would probably have the best use there )

Sancho, your put downs only serve to show those who come here for some information what they are to encounter when dealing with those in your "profession".
Now as usual the topic has gone away from the core issue which is that Polygraph is a pseudo-science and time and time again whether by personal experience or yet another news story. The inaccuracy and unreliability of polygraph is shown. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 3:38am
Quote:

Sancho Panza

A straw man argument at its finest. 

The lack of a "not for profit" exemption in state-level regulation of polygraphy is completely irrelevant to my argument.  

Many professional licenses have not-for-profit exemptions. 

In cosmetology, these exist simply because people often cut hair for family members, friends, etc. 

A similar exemption is in place for non-profit work in many other professions. For example, in a vast majority of local areas, homeowners are allowed to engage in "do it yourself" electrical and plumbing projects provided they adhere to local code.  

It is an utter non-sequitur to draw the conclusion of "therefore people are allowed to run wire and plumb without a license” because of such an exemption.

The lack of a non-profit exemption in polygraphy regulation is meaningless anyway, as I can’t fathom non-profit polygraphs actually occurring in large enough numbers to be a problem. If this distinction in legislation is as important as you make it out to be, I'm sure that you can provide documentation of prosecutions for engaging in not-for-profit polygraphy without a license.

This may actually become an issue some day in the future, as more people learn just how simplistic the procedure actually is. If the public was actually aware that one can purchase an instrument from eBay and conduct polygraphs with the same validity as the most experienced polygraph examiner, I think that you would see quite a few people choose to "cut out the middleman."

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:22am

Gino Scalabrini. You should really take some dance lessons.

When you use "absolute" statements, like the one above, in your argument, you are either 100% correct or 100% wrong. Qualifying your statement in rebuttal is just a feeble attempt to bolster your argument by selective observation.

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 3:55am
Again...

If this distinction in legislation is as important as you make it out to be, I'm sure that you can provide documentation of prosecutions for engaging in not-for-profit polygraphy without a license.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 4:43pm
G Scalabr wrote on Oct 25th, 2008 at 3:55am:
I'm sure that you can provide documentation of prosecutions for engaging in not-for-profit polygraphy without a license.

Let me see if I understand your request here.   

My point is that legislation prohibiting polygraph without a license is an effective detrrent to the practice.

You want me to research proof that I am wrong.

Nice try Señor Scalabrini. 

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 9:55pm
As usual Sancho has managed to get us off track.
The original point. It seems that some ATF agents managed to beat a polygraph administered by, I am sure a hand picked  or at random examiner ( why would they go through the trouble and then leave it to chance ) by a notorious biker gang by lying all the way through.

Seems to me that the odd thing here is that the Mongols were not informed of the fallibility of the test. But then, .... they are gang members not rockets scientists.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 12:16am
notguilty1 wrote on Oct 25th, 2008 at 9:55pm:

Notguilty1.  Off track?  You couldn’t find the track if you lived on the infield at Talladega. 

Every time a news report of a polygraph examination doesn't turn out the way you think it should you resort to the same old causal reductionism and arrive at the fallacious conclusion that the results you don't agree with must be caused by an inherent problem with polygraph in general. 

Absent concrete information that these agents were somehow taught some sort of countermeasure that allowed them to pass their  polygraph, not only are your conclusions premature, they fail to acknowledge more plausible explanations offered by people who know considerably more about polygraph than having failed one in the past. You know even less about how Law Enforcement operations are conducted. 

Instead you act like your selective observations from reading stories similar to yours on this site coupled with an ad nauseum repetition of the same old drivel automatically grants you similar status with Dr. Mascke, TwoBlock, Sergeant, Cullen, or even Gino, who even though we disagree about polygraph, at least provide stimulating and often refreshing discourse.    Hardly.

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:02am
SanchoPanza wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 12:16am:
notguilty1 wrote on Oct 25th, 2008 at 9:55pm:

Notguilty1.  Off track?  You couldn’t find the track if you lived on the infield at Talladega. 

Every time a news report of a polygraph examination doesn't turn out the way you think it should you resort to the same old causal reductionism and arrive at the fallacious conclusion that the results you don't agree with must be caused by an inherent problem with polygraph in general.

Absent concrete information that these agents were somehow taught some sort of countermeasure that allowed them to pass their  polygraph, not only are your conclusions premature, they fail to acknowledge more plausible explanations offered by people who know considerably more about polygraph than having failed one in the past. You know even less about how Law Enforcement operations are conducted. 

Instead you act like your selective observations from reading stories similar to yours on this site coupled with an ad nauseum repetition of the same old drivel automatically grants you similar status with Dr. Mascke, TwoBlock, Sergeant, Cullen, or even Gino, who even though we disagree about polygraph, at least provide stimulating and often refreshing discourse.    Hardly.

Sancho Panza

Yep!.... EVERY time, which are many many times that Polygraph shows itself to be what it is, an unproven, unreliable ( for detecting deception)  pseudo-science you bet cha I point it out. 

OK maybe this case is premature so, I'll give you one ( of many but I'll keep it simple ) that isn't. 
Would you care to explain how Gary Ridgeway admittedly passed a lie detector simply by lying? 
Perhaps the agents passed by simply lying. Gary Ridgeway did it and so have many others. Hell, I failed by telling the truth so I can't see it not happing.

Personally, I don't know how they passed as I don't know how I failed mine. Thats up to the industry you defend to explain.
Thus far Sancho you haven't done such a bang up job at it.

Again Sancho, your put downs only go to show what is expected from your profession and those who support it.
Your list of the people you attribute to "my status" is growing. I find myself in good company.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #24 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:17am
See everybody is good for something. I was looking for an illustration to explain causal reductionism stemming from selective observation and here you build a fine example into your post and top it all off with a conclusion that gives a pretty good example of non sequiter.

When you rely only on examples where polygraph may have been less than perfect to arrive at your conclusions, you ignore the thousands of polygraph examinations whose results were confirmed accurate. If polygraph were pure chance as you claim there should be somewhere closer to a 50/50 split.  

The reason we should be looking for some explanation other than countermeasures in the Mongols case stems from the N.A.S. report you like to cherry pick. 
Quote:
claims that it is easy to train examinees to “beat” both the polygraph and trained examiners require scientific supporting evidence to be credible. However, we are not aware of any such research.  The Polygraph and Lie Detection (2003) 
Board on Behavioral, Cognitive, and Sensory Sciences and Education (BCSSE)
Committee on National Statistics (CNSTAT)  PG 147

I do not believe that under those circumstances the goverment would encourage agents to attempt countermeasures because if they were caught trying them they would have been killed. 

The number of people in your "group" is growing?   If the petition here is any indication It's growth is less than 200 a year. There are more people than that reporting alien abductions.

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #25 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 4:39pm
SanchoPanza wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:17am:
See everybody is good for something. I was looking for an illustration to explain causal reductionism stemming from selective observation and here you build a fine example into your post and top it all off with a conclusion that gives a pretty good example of non sequiter.

When you rely only on examples where polygraph may have been less than perfect to arrive at your conclusions, you ignore the thousands of polygraph examinations whose results were confirmed accurate. If polygraph were pure chance as you claim there should be somewhere closer to a 50/50 split.  

The reason we should be looking for some explanation other than countermeasures in the Mongols case stems from the N.A.S. report you like to cherry pick. 
Quote:
claims that it is easy to train examinees to “beat” both the polygraph and trained examiners require scientific supporting evidence to be credible. However, we are not aware of any such research.  The Polygraph and Lie Detection (2003) 
Board on Behavioral, Cognitive, and Sensory Sciences and Education (BCSSE)
Committee on National Statistics (CNSTAT)  PG 147

I do not believe that under those circumstances the goverment would encourage agents to attempt countermeasures because if they were caught trying them they would have been killed. 

The number of people in your "group" is growing?   If the petition here is any indication It's growth is less than 200 a year. There are more people than that reporting alien abductions.

Sancho Panza

Sancho,
The reason Polygraph results don't amount to a 50/50 chance split is because as with any scam ( and I use that term simply because the test is no test, but an interrogation tool as you well know thus it scams people into a possible confession all be it some times for the good ) the "operator" has the upper hand since he has the experience in getting the desired results. 

As for the Mongols case, I do agree there may be another reason besides countermeasures though we cannot exclude them. It could be that once again Polygraph simply failed to deliver what it is used for.
Bottom line is that Polygraph was used to detect lies and failed. 

I noticed that you conveniently avoided explaining the Gary Ridgeway case, one that has no question....... I am not surprised.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #26 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:36pm
notguilty1 wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 4:39pm:
I noticed that you conveniently avoided explaining the Gary Ridgeway case, one that has no question

Thats just one of the differences between you and I. You read an article or two, add your preconceived notions that you formed mostly from the other posters here and you use this severely limited and one-sided information to form a concrete opinion and make statements like "the Gary Ridgway case, one that has no question"  That is a pretty good example of Selective Observation.

I still have questions about the Ridgway case and until those questions are answered, I still have the ability to retain an open mind. 

While  news reports state that he "passed his polygraph", we don't really know what the word "passed" means in this context because no one has ever said what questions he was asked. Everyone seems to assume that he was asked if he committed one or more murders, but we don't know that. He may have been polygraphed as a witness rather than a suspect.  If he gave them leads that they were trying to confirm the the questions might have been different and he may not have even been asked "THE BIG QUESTION. I know that a blind review of his polygraph charts were later scored as inconclusive by an examiner who did not know the name of the person taking the test or the case that was being investigated. I know that false positives and false negatives occur in tests. Most of all I know that a relatively small group of reported errors does not invalidate polygraph. I also know that it really isn't fair to judge the state of Polygraph today by a test that was conducted 24 years ago especially absent more case specific information.

So I am not avoiding explaining the Ridgeway case, I am am just refusing to jump to conclusionsas long as plausible alternative explanations exist.  Jumping to conclusions with limited information seems to be your job. 

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #27 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 11:44pm
SanchoPanza wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:36pm:
notguilty1 wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 4:39pm:
I noticed that you conveniently avoided explaining the Gary Ridgeway case, one that has no question

Thats just one of the differences between you and I. You read an article or two, add your preconceived notions that you formed mostly from the other posters here and you use this severely limited and one-sided information to form a concrete opinion and make statements like "the Gary Ridgway case, one that has no question"  That is a pretty good example of Selective Observation.

I still have questions about the Ridgway case and until those questions are answered, I still have the ability to retain an open mind. 

While  news reports state that he "passed his polygraph", we don't really know what the word "passed" means in this context because no one has ever said what questions he was asked. Everyone seems to assume that he was asked if he committed one or more murders, but we don't know that. He may have been polygraphed as a witness rather than a suspect.  If he gave them leads that they were trying to confirm the the questions might have been different and he may not have even been asked "THE BIG QUESTION. I know that a blind review of his polygraph charts were later scored as inconclusive by an examiner who did not know the name of the person taking the test or the case that was being investigated. I know that false positives and false negatives occur in tests. Most of all I know that a relatively small group of reported errors does not invalidate polygraph. I also know that it really isn't fair to judge the state of Polygraph today by a test that was conducted 24 years ago especially absent more case specific information.

So I am not avoiding explaining the Ridgeway case, I am am just refusing to jump to conclusionsas long as plausible alternative explanations exist.  Jumping to conclusions with limited information seems to be your job. 

Sancho Panza

Fortunately for me there are many more differences between us and I love it that way.

Sancho! What's there to know? Ridgeway was Polygraphed as a suspect to murder, and passed, then, went on to commit more murders. Seems cut and dry to me.
As for when the poly took place. The recording device has changed since then but the technology remains for the most part unchanged as does the expectations of reliable results in detecting deception, it's accuracy rate ( the industry still lies about that, big) or the industry lie that it is in fact a test at all instead of a interrogation tool.

You like to "keep an open mind" when Polygraph fails which BTW makes your mind wide open. However, you don't extend the same open mind to me or others here and else where that you do for a convicted killer! Or Sancho, is the jury still out on Ridgeway for you?
Talk about one sided !! 

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #28 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 1:02am
notguilty1 wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 11:44pm:
we don't really know what the word "passed" means in this context because no one has ever said what questions he was asked. Everyone seems to assume that he was asked if he committed one or more murders, but we don't know that. He may have been polygraphed as a witness rather than a suspect.If he gave them leads that they were trying to confirm the the questions might have been different and he may not have even been asked "THE BIG QUESTION. I know that a blind review of his polygraph charts were later scored as inconclusive by an examiner who did not know the name of the person taking the test or the case that was being investigated. I know that false positives and false negatives occur in tests. Most of all I know that a relatively small group of reported errors does not invalidate polygraph.  

You just refuse to read anything that doesn't support your opinion don't you?  I guess if you can just allow yourself to ignore things you don't agree with you can aways declare yourself right.  I haven't said anything about Ridgway not being a killer. I just said that because specific information concerning his polygraph has never been released it is a fallacious argument for you to conclude and contend that his polygraph results prove anything one way or the other about the accuracy or validity of polygraph. This is an entirely different issue from is guilt or innocence. The way that blood is collected at crime scenes hasn't changed much in 25 years, the composition of blood hasn't changed much either. What has changed is the way it is analyzed and our understanding of the information we receive from it.

The consensus among scientists are that alien abductions have not really  happened, but they must be wrong because there are ten times as many people claiming abduction by aliens than are complaining about failing a polygraph while telling the truth.

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #29 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 2:43am
SanchoPanza wrote on Oct 27th, 2008 at 1:02am:
notguilty1 wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 11:44pm:
we don't really know what the word "passed" means in this context because no one has ever said what questions he was asked. Everyone seems to assume that he was asked if he committed one or more murders, but we don't know that. He may have been polygraphed as a witness rather than a suspect.If he gave them leads that they were trying to confirm the the questions might have been different and he may not have even been asked "THE BIG QUESTION. I know that a blind review of his polygraph charts were later scored as inconclusive by an examiner who did not know the name of the person taking the test or the case that was being investigated. I know that false positives and false negatives occur in tests. Most of all I know that a relatively small group of reported errors does not invalidate polygraph.  

You just refuse to read anything that doesn't support your opinion don't you?  I guess if you can just allow yourself to ignore things you don't agree with you can aways declare yourself right.  I haven't said anything about Ridgway not being a killer. I just said that because specific information concerning his polygraph has never been released it is a fallacious argument for you to conclude and contend that his polygraph results prove anything one way or the other about the accuracy or validity of polygraph. This is an entirely different issue from is guilt or innocence. The way that blood is collected at crime scenes hasn't changed much in 25 years, the composition of blood hasn't changed much either. What has changed is the way it is analyzed and our understanding of the information we receive from it.

The consensus among scientists are that alien abductions have not really  happened, but they must be wrong because there are ten times as many people claiming abduction by aliens than are complaining about failing a polygraph while telling the truth.

Sancho Panza

Look, If you want to continue with your circular logic then go right ahead, I realize you need it to bolster your stand.
However, I am sure to the rest of the world, when they say that Ridgeway passed his Polygraph it is understood that he was asked questions that pertained to his involvement in the murders that they were investigating.
Of course to admit this would be for your to face one of Polygraphs major failures. And why would you want to do that?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
ATF Agents Beat the Polygraph to Infiltrate Mongols Motorcycle Gang

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X