Normal Topic Article about the Fake bad scale for the psych test (Read 13963 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lawlizard
User

Article about the Fake bad scale for the psych test
Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
This is a big gift for you psych1 =)

In March 2008 a front page article in the Wall Street Journal[39] exposed what it claimed to the lack of scientific validity of the "fake bad" scale, which is used in courts as argument for malingering in injury litigation. According to the article two Florida judges barred use of the scale after special hearings on its scientific validity.

The article reports that the scale was developed by psychologist Paul Lees-Haley, who works mainly for defendants (insurance companies etc.) in personal injury cases. The article reports that in 1991 Lees-Haley paid to have an article supportive of his scale published in Psychological Reports, which the Wall Street Journal described as "a small Montana-based medical journal." The scale was introduced in MMPI after a review of the literature. This review was considered flawed by its critics because at least 10 of 19 studies reviewed were done by Lees-Haley or other insurance defense psychologists, while 21 other studies critical of the test were excluded from the review.

One of the critics of the "fake bad" scale is retired psychologist James Butcher, who found that more than 45 percent of psychiatric patients he studied had Fake Bad Scale scores of 20 or more, which according to the "fake bad" scale meant they were malingering. Butcher contends that it is unlikely that so many psychiatric patients misled doctors. The article qoutes Butcher concluding:

“ This is great for insurance companies, but not great for people.
” 

The article claimed that disagreeing with statements like "My sex life is satisfactory" or "I seldom or never have dizzy spells" earned malingering points for the test takers.

i am going to add more on this list, the one below is very good 

IP Logged

User

Re: Article about the Fake bad scale for the psych test
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:50pm
Found this in the Tribune 
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0602050255feb05,1,4364375.s...

Police exam allegations probed
Failed hopeful says meetings were brief

By Gary Washburn
Tribune staff reporter
Published February 5, 2006

Aldermen concerned about the screening process for police candidates heard Friday from a former U.S. Marine who said he failed the Chicago Police Department's psychological test three times after very short exams.

Elmore Dikes, 29, told the City Council's Police and Fire Committee that he passed other parts of the department's testing "with flying colors," only to be disqualified after brief meetings in 2001, 2003 and 2004 with contract psychologists hired by the Center for Applied Psychological Services. He said none of the meetings lasted more than seven minutes.

"I think I have something to offer," said Dikes, who was honorably discharged from the Marines after six years, being promoted to sergeant in just three. "I don't understand what exactly they are looking for and how I continuously fail the exam."

Earlier, Dr. Michael Roberts, president of the California-based Law Enforcement Psychological Service, told the committee that exams are scheduled to last 40 minutes and are virtually impossible to administer in less than 30.

Roberts' firm and the Chicago-based Center for Applied Psychological Services are joint venture partners that conduct Police Department testing.

Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th), the committee's chairman, said aldermen for years have received complaints about cursory exams from constituents interested in becoming officers.

If qualified candidates are being lost to a department hungry for talent because of poor testing, that "is a serious issue," Carothers said.

Roberts and Dr. Marva Dawkins, head of the Chicago testing company, said they would investigate Dikes' case.

Members of the committee also questioned why Dawkins' company has no African-American male or Latino psychologists to prevent cultural biases from seeping into the evaluation system.

At a committee meeting six years ago, the contractors took heat for the growing wash-out gap between African-Americans and whites. On Friday, Roberts reported the passing rate for blacks has remained level since then at 71 percent, but that rates have dropped sharply for whites (to 75 percent from 84 percent), Latinos (to 71 from 81) and Asians (to 64 from 73).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box psych1
Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:38pm
I would argue that the FBS scale developed by Lees-Haley was not developed for, nor intended for use in psychiatric populations and certainly not for employment screening settings. It was soley developed for compensation seeking TBI litigants with known external incentives for malingering neurocognitive symptoms, not psychiatric symptomatology.  So, yes, this is correct, and Butcher was correct, in psych samples it is NOT useful. But, again, it was not meant for use in this population. The research of its senstitivity and specificity for indentifying symptom exagerration in compsentation seeking litigants is high, but only for that population and in that context. Moreover, overreporing is rare in employment screening settings, obvioulsy, people are often motivated to do the oppposite of that in this setting.  As is the case with all other MMPI-2 validity scales, scores on the FBS should be considered in the context of scores on the other validity scales, the circumstances of the assessment, and any conditions such as significant physical injury or disease that could artificially elevate scores on the FBS.

Here is a link for Pearsons rationale for including the scale in the comprehensibe score report. 

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/resources/fbs.htm

While the MMPI is a great instrument and over half a century of resesrch supports its use and psychometric properties, this does not mean that its the best instrument in all settings for a screening.  First, its long as hell (that half hour eval in the story above was obviouly not an MMPI eval) and scale elevations take on different meaning depending on the population in question (ie., psychatric, forensic, normal). While its never interpreted blindly without interview, I still cringe at the fact that some departments may use this instrument and an interview as the sole means of screening. I also really wish the Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI) were used more in this setting. Its more fitting for an emplyment screening setting and the psychometric properties great.  
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 12:08am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

User

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:42am
I appreciate the reply, but I dont want to see anything from a website that is trying to promote the test to make money lol. I would rather take an outside source/case. Thats like GM trying to explain why a truck blew up after it happened to someone on their site. Even though they knew exactly why because they were there, yet they will do their best to try and explain to cover themselves. Furthermore it is mainly about the malpractice of the "used car salesman" examiners. Its all about the buck in some cases, not about the well being or someones future. I could put these articles up all day.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box psych1
Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:41am
Well it wasn't an opinion editorial. It was explaining to psychologists why they (Pearson) included the specific subscale as part of the score report software based on indepedent peer reviewed studies of the scale.  Pearson doesnt have to sell anything to us (psychologists)! They have a copyright and monopoly on the test.  Its the only way to buy the thing for us.  I included it because it presents good synopsis of the reseasrch literature on the scale. The pros and cons. It not a sales pitch, because as I said before, the FBS is confined to a very particular setting and population. 

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 6:24am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Frusstreadd

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:05am
lawlizard wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:42am:

Its all about the buck in some cases, not about the well being or someones future. I could put these articles up all day.

Very true, except I would say it's all about the buck MOST of the time, and ALL of the time in any court case.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 2:45pm
lawlizard and Judi

You ever stop to think that most patents expire after 17 years. Why hasen't MMPI? Could be why it is now #2 and #3 is probably in the works. If someone took this to court, they might just spank Pearson's butt. However, psych1 would still be here vigorously and errantly defending it like polygraphers try to defend their profession.

IP Logged

Article about the Fake bad scale for the psych test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X