Normal Topic lyMy Horror story (Read 6926 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ready4war
New User

lyMy Horror story
Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:31pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was asked by a shrink to take a poly for a crime I plead guilty to because of a plea I could live with as I did not have enough money to fight the charges

Well I failed the test so they say. He said you did not do very well at all. Well the subject we are talking on is a very emotional subject to me. I now think his control questions are irrelevant as is your name this is not going to get much of a reaction out of me.  If they need factual information as they want me to retake on can I ask the control question be faction on the subject that I know will get my heart racing as soon as they mention a couple of words? I have extreme animosity toward the subject and when I hear the name My heart automatically drops and my emotions start flowing. Would that be a better test is you get an honest response? I did answer the questions honestly. I had no reason to lie as I could not get into more trouble by answering them dishonestly.  They want me to admit to things that never happened. 

I know as soon as he asked the questions I felt my heart drop as soon as they mentioned the names involved. There was nothing I could do to stop it.

After my poly and what they tell me now I drought almost everything I thought I know. Is this common?

I do have a very guilty conscience, if I was in a store that was robbed and you said I did it after a while I would think maybe I did have something to do with it and question if I did or not. 
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:47pm by ready4war »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: My Horror story
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:44pm
ready4war,

Polygraph testing has no scientific basis. The procedure is inherently biased against the truthful, and it is not at all uncommon for truthful people to wrongly fail.

Polygraph examiners don't want the public to know the truth about how their "test" works (and doesn't). If you so much as mention the words "control question" to your polygrapher, the likely result is that you will arbitrarily be accused of either being deceptive, using countermeasures (techniques for passing the polygraph), or both.

If you are not required by law to submit to another polygraph interrogation, you would be wise to refuse it. If you are compelled to submit, then you'll want to consult with a lawyer, or if you can't afford one, perhaps with a legal aid society, regarding your legal options.

In the meantime, to learn about polygraph procedure and how to reduce the risk of a false positive outcome, see AntiPolygraph.org's free book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which you can download in PDF format here:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Re: lyMy Horror story
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:19pm
I did during the last set of questions say to my self just tell the truth you have nothing to hide you did nothing wrong.   When we were done he said you already know you lied. Lied about what I have no reason.  Can I ask him to run his tape recorded converstion through  a PSE test or are these no good either?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:24pm
The Psychological Stress Evaluator (PSE), like other voice stress tests, is also junk science. A working lie detector has yet to be invented.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:34pm
I did stay for the interview after words and he said we are making head way on this as you since told me things you did not earlier, that accounts for what I am seeing on the test. Well if you wanted to know why did you not ask. I have nothing to hide. I am not saying I did nothing wrong, as I had to do something I just am not sure what I did anymore.  I am saying I did not do what I was accused of.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:57pm
Quote:
I did stay for the interview after words and he said we are making head way on this as you since told me things you did not earlier, that accounts for what I am seeing on the test.

Making headway?  Yeah, THEY are making headway getting YOU to spill your guts!

Listen!  The whole  purpose of a polygraph is to extract self-incriminating information out of you without needing to have some pesky lawyer present.  It is NOT to test your truthfulness or eliminate you as a suspect.  It is an INTERROGATION!  Understand?   Forget what you've seen on Dr. Phil, Oprah, or anywhere else about the polygraph.

Did you volunteer any self-incriminating information during the polygraph?

You need to do the following:

1.  Hire a freaking lawyer!  Preferably, one that doesn't have his head up his ass, and knows about the polygraph con game.
2.  Do not talk to the police until you do so!
3.  Do not take anymore polygraphs.  Tell them you now know the truth purpose of the polygraph, and unless required by law, you will no longer be participating!

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but you needed to hear that.  And I hate to see people taken advantage of!

Good Luck,  TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:17am
Thanks I probobly needed that. I did not say anymore then I already had and is on record. I will never say what they want me to say as it did not happen. I did say now that maybe maybe not as now I dont know. They have me questioning myself I now doubt my self more then ever and now I can not answer their quesitons as all they did was confuse me and now I can say I dont know  for 100% sure and that was not what they are after but that is all I can truely say anymore. So if anything they are now going to get less information then befor as I cant give an honest answer as I am uncertain.

But thanks if they ask me to do it again I will say it will be a waist of everyones time as you have me questioning everything and I am unsure of what happened and when so it will be useless. I can only say 5 things and that are the 5 things that they want me to say happned which I know for 100% sure they did not and I am not confused on those issues at all in any way shape or form
thanks to all that replyed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 12:27pm
Did I understand you to say that your psychiatrist, an expert in the branch of medicine dealing with mental disorders, asked you to take a polygraph concerning something you were charged with and pled to, but now claim you may or may not have done?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:35pm
you are correct and I said from the beginning I did not do it and I did not have another $20k to defend myself witch it would have taken. When the police do not want to get all the information both good and bad to prove you did or did not do something and it is time critical then sometimes you get rail roaded into your best option not justice. 

When you screem your loosing important data to prove you did not do something and it takes over 8 weeks to get an arrainment when normal is 2 and the time sensitive data is now gone what can you do. you take your best option. I lost 2 tiem sensitve data in that 8 weeks that can not ever be taken back.  I could not risk the rest of my life on only having 1/2 data to prove I did not do it. I took a plea that can be removed from my record after 2 years with unsupervised probation. Not a bad deal but not a good deal either since I did not do it. It is still better then spenind years in jail for something I did not do.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 5:21pm
I do have another question question. Are they spose to ask you question control questions where you lie as no questions did they ask me to lie on anything.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Damn, another innocent victim's life ruined by polygraph!

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:06pm
Quote:
I do have another question question. Are they spose to ask you question control questions where you lie as no questions did they ask me to lie on anything.

They don't actually come out and tell you to lie on the control questions.  They EXPECT you to lie.  They compare your reactions to these fake manufactured lies on the controls with reactions to the relevant questions.   They then stir it all up, add some slobber and call it "poly-crap" pudding!  It's all quite scientific, pseudo-scientific that is. Smiley

You need to hire another psychiatrist.  Is he/she a private shrink, or assigned to see you by the government?  Psychologist (Ph'd), or psychiatrist (M.D.)?  Here is a clue, psychiatrist's can prescribe meds, psychologists can not.  Have him/her check out the following link:

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309084369

Another thing.  You say you can't afford a lawyer.  If you were charged, shouldn't one have been assigned to you.  How did you end up coping a plea without any legal representation at all?  OTOH, you are given legal advice (to go take a polygraph) by a psychiatrist!  Doesn't add up.

TC

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:59pm by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 7:20pm
sorry for the mis understanding I did have a lawyer at a cost of $20k it would have taken another $20k for all the evidence and expert witness to prove my innocent and since I spent the 20k on the lawyer I did not have any more money. (Sorry I did not have $40k laying around to defend myself)

The psychiatrist said if I was willing to take a lie detector and pass then he was willing to right mis carrage of justice. I had nothing to hide so I said yes I still have nothing to hide and my entire case will be on line when my probation period is over as some of the information I have is time stamped but I just did not know how to prove in a corrupt court system my innocents.  I say corrupt because some people that were involved worked for the courts, hint to why it took 8 weeks to get an arrainment and me loosing valuable time sensitive data.

Thanks for all the help I will read up and be ready for them, They are not going to like me now.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 9:28pm
Quote:
The psychiatrist said if I was willing to take a lie detector and pass then he was willing to right mis carrage of justice.

That makes no sense, and if true, you really do need to see another shrink, or write a letter to his/her licensing board.  Maybe you misunderstood him.

TC

IP Logged

lyMy Horror story

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X