Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraph Interrogation versus DNA testing results (Read 24279 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Polygraph Interrogation versus DNA testing results
Reply #30 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:13pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
It's really funny still that he has time to waste on, what he describes as few misguided, unintelligent and disgruntled people on this site.

It's not just a few.  We get a steady stream of noobs, who have just tested false positive, who come here looking for answers.  PP gets them some of them too, and they get a snow job.  If they press for answers they are dismissed as "ranters".

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #31 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 10:34pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:13pm:
Quote:
It's really funny still that he has time to waste on, what he describes as few misguided, unintelligent and disgruntled people on this site.

It's not just a few.  We get a steady stream of noobs, who have just tested false positive, who come here looking for answers.  PP gets them some of them too, and they get a snow job.  If they press for answers they are dismissed as "ranters".

TC

I know that we are not just a few I was echoing Sancii's sentiment.
If we were so few then why; would this site be so successful? and, why would guys like him be wasting their time here.
He knows the numbers and it scares him. Simple as that.
Truth is Sancho Panza (whatever that means) or any of his cronies cannot stop truth. It is fun watching him try.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polytek
User

Reply #32 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 9:28am
Hi NG1,

One finds that pompous attitude pervading the APA fraternity.
Polygraphy seems to 'empower' ordinary men to some imaginary level, where they clearly think they are demi-gods.

They think that they hold the real power of life or death over other mere mortals.

Strip them of their polygraphs and they are nothing. It follows then that they will debate and argue with the anti's because they are in essence fighting for their continued existence, for their base relevance
in life.

The more anti's and False Positives that post here, the more the demi-gods shiver in fear. Their snake oil and bs tricks must be persecuted until they are banished forever.

The ad-hom attacks on GM and other posters here is the predictable  response we have come to expect. GM is not the enemy of polygraphy, he is simply one of the messengers making a statement of truth and fact. A truth and fact that EACH & EVERY POLYGRAPHIST knows - and that is: Polygraphy is not a science. Polygraphy is not sufficiently reliable to be used in the pre-employment arena. Polygraphy is easily foiled by CM's. Polygraph is useless unless a confession is produced. Even then, polygraph induced confessions should be thoroughly tested as many people cannot endure the psychological intimidation practised by many polygraphists.

Sancho Panza aka Skipp Webb is a typically arrogant examiner festooned with self awarded honours.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 3:32pm
polytek wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 9:28am:
Hi NG1,

Polygraphy seems to 'empower' ordinary men to some imaginary level, where they clearly think they are demi-gods.

They think that they hold the real power of life or death over other mere mortals.

Strip them of their polygraphs and they are nothing. It follows then that they will debate and argue with the anti's because they are in essence fighting for their continued existence, for their base relevance
in life.

The more anti's and False Positives that post here, the more the demi-gods shiver in fear. Their snake oil and bs tricks must be persecuted until they are banished forever.

The ad-hom attacks on GM and other posters here is the predictable  response we have come to expect. GM is not the enemy of polygraphy, he is simply one of the messengers making a statement of truth and fact. A truth and fact that EACH & EVERY POLYGRAPHIST knows - and that is: Polygraphy is not a science. Polygraphy is not sufficiently reliable to be used in the pre-employment arena. Polygraphy is easily foiled by CM's. Polygraph is useless unless a confession is produced. Even then, polygraph induced confessions should be thoroughly tested as many people cannot endure the psychological intimidation practised by many polygraphists.

Sancho Panza aka Skipp Webb is a typically arrogant examiner festooned with self awarded honours.

I agree with all you say  here Poly,
Thanks for being on here as well I am hoping that we get more and more "victims" of polygraph on board.
Sancho's mantra is the same as others; forget the facts and focus on fear, lies, misdirection and irrelevant opinions, thats how they try to hold on to their pseudo-science.
It is amazing to me that once discovered they are not ashamed of themselves and what they do for a living. However as you say these are small "men" that need that power trip of seemingly being judge and jury over others, they didn't have what it takes to actually have a position of respect and honor in life so....... well like other charlatans they do what they have to survive.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:11pm
Quote:

In the name of the sancho,
sackett the son,
and coffey the Holly poster
amen

Hail sancho, full of bull
the APA is with thee.
Blessed art thou among examiners
and blessed is the fruit of thy chart scribblings.
Holy sancho, father of lies
pray for us false positives,
and deliver us from the truth.
amen

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #35 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:57pm
NotGuilty1

Sancho Panza was the faithful servant of Don Quixote. If you recall, ol'  Don was always tilting at windmills.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Reply #36 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:37pm
Mr. Cullen   From the very beginning I suspected that you were just seeking an idol for  misplaced worship.   

Please feel free to remain with Dr. Mashcke.  If you must switch, may I suggest Elvis or Jerry Springer?

Anyone but me.

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #37 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:42pm
Notguilty1  Polytek

CONGRATULATIONS  YOU HAVE WON.

I could not possibly add anything to your posts that could better esablish your ignorance regarding polygraph than what you have chosen to write yourselves. 

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #38 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 12:29am
SanchoPanza wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:42pm:
Notguilty1  Polytek

CONGRATULATIONS  YOU HAVE WON.

I could not possibly add anything to your posts that could better esablish your ignorance regarding polygraph than what you have chosen to write yourselves. 

Sancho Panza

You know sancho if you would use your vast knowledge of polygraph and please explain how a truthful person fails a polygraph and not correlate that to the inherent uselessness of polygraph you may actually doing some good here.
I doubt I will get any intelligent or useful response from you. 
My "ignorance" as you put it about polygraph is not ignorance at all. You see Sancho, Mine is personal experience.
I took a police investigation polygraph, I told the complete truth, I FAILED the police polygraph. Conclusion for most logical people? = POLYGRAPHS DO NOT DETECT LIES It's quite simple for me Sacho.
My subsequent research has shown me that my conclusion is in fact correct.
Even if Polygraphs do illicit confessions, that does not make the test valid in detecting lies.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:53am
Quote:
You know sancho if you would use your vast knowledge of polygraph and please explain how a truthful person fails a polygraph

OK pay attention. ANY scientific test by definition must have an error rate. If there is no error rate it cannot be called a scientific test. Scientific tests have accuracy rates and error rates. Accuracy Rate is what you have left after you subtract the error rate from 100% .Error rates are made up of False Positives and False Negatives. In Polygraph a False Positive is where the results of the examination indicate deception when the subject is telling the truth. A False Negative in Polygraph means that the results indicate truthfulness when the subject was in fact lying regarding a relevant issue. If you add the number of false positives to the number of false negatives and calculate the total as a percentage of the tests in a given group, you have the error rate.  

Generally in polygraph there are 3 possible results for examinations. Deception Indicated, No Deception Indicated and Inconclusive. Inconclusive results are not part of the error rate. Inconclusive just means that the data was unsuitable for evaluation. The NAS study said that more research needed to be done to quantify the error rate in polygraph. They said the same thing when they reviewed DNA research. 

I can't tell you every possible thing that could cause an error in a polygraph test any more than you could tell me every possible thing that could cause an error in a DNA comparison.  From the literature I have read, polygraphists shouldn't do an exam after an aggressive interrogation due to the possibility of physiological exhaustion causing an error, they don't permit extra people in the polygraph room in order to avoid errors caused by distraction due to talking or movement of the 3rd party, they don't test people with recent injuries to avoid errors caused by chronic pain and they don't conduct tests on people unable to comprehend the meaning of questions to avoid errors caused by misunderstanding the meaning of a question, etc. I can't name them all but errors do occur. If you look at other scientific tests you would discover that many have a much higher error rate than any quantified by known studies for polygraph.  A TB skin test for example has an error rate between 30 and 70%.

Error rates cannot be affected from within a testing protocol. If you change your scoring/evaluation criteria to reduce false positives, false negatives will increase proportionately. Error rates can only be changed by altering the protocol in some fashion. 

Since all scientific tests have error rates, necessarily forensic examinations used by the police also have error rates and a false positive in any of them could put a suspect in exactly the same predicament as a false positive in a polygraph test. 
This includes but isn’t limited to:

Latent Fingerprint comparison:   The FBI AFIS system sometimes provides dozens of probable matches that require further investigation. Sometimes it only kicks out one match and it’s the wrong guy. Why? I don’t know. Do you?
I won’t do that with the rest  but they all have error rates
Blood Alcohol Analysis (Breath)
Blood Alcohol Analysis (Blood)
Handwriting Comparison
Statement Analysis
Determination of speed from skid marks
Determination of speed from yaw marks
Determination of speed from deformation of metal
Presence of blood
Presence of human blood
Marijuana field test
Marijuana Lab test
Heroin Field test
Heroin Lab Test
as a matter of fact to save time all presumptive tests for drugs whether in the field or lab have error rates.
Urinalysis
Ink analysis
Identification of trace evidence
Foot Print Comparison
Puzzle fit analysis
Ballistics
Hair Analysis
I still stand by my previous post that if you took all of the people who have posted on this board during the last 8 years whining that they told the truth and failed their polygraph and added them to the 1325 signatures including Joke Names, Duplications and  Line Voided, during that same time period, and compared them to the number of polygraph tests administered during that same time period, you would find that you are a member of a  very tiny yet vocal group, even if you assume that every one of your number is the victim of some error.  

I would argue that if every one of you were found to have some error on your polygraph you couldn't successfully invalidate the 98% accuracy rate claim that Jack Trimarco allegedly made to Dr. Maschke regarding polygraph.

While an error in your particular case may be significant to you because of your personal involvement, the mere possibility that an error was made in your case is not that significant to the big picture.

Do you really think your interrogation would have been any less traumatic if you didn’t take a polygraph and the investigator decided you were the culprit? You just decided to focus on polygraph as the source of your discomfort when it was the interviewer that made you feel bad. 

I don't know of anyone who has ever been convicted of a crime based solely on the results of a polygraph, but a blanket statement that they cannot be admitted as evidence is innacurate. 

Sancho Panza  The character was the voice of reason in the face of insanity.

Or Perhaps a Fine Cigar

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #40 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 2:35am
SanchoPanza wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:53am:
Quote:
You know sancho if you would use your vast knowledge of polygraph and please explain how a truthful person fails a polygraph

OK pay attention. ANY scientific test by definition must have an error rate. If there is no error rate it cannot be called a scientific test. Scientific tests have accuracy rates and error rates. Accuracy Rate is what you have left after you subtract the error rate from 100% .Error rates are made up of False Positives and False Negatives. In Polygraph a False Positive is where the results of the examination indicate deception when the subject is telling the truth. A False Negative in Polygraph means that the results indicate truthfulness when the subject was in fact lying regarding a relevant issue. If you add the number of false positives to the number of false negatives and calculate the total as a percentage of the tests in a given group, you have the error rate.  

Generally in polygraph there are 3 possible results for examinations. Deception Indicated, No Deception Indicated and Inconclusive. Inconclusive results are not part of the error rate. Inconclusive just means that the data was unsuitable for evaluation. The NAS study said that more research needed to be done to quantify the error rate in polygraph. They said the same thing when they reviewed DNA research. 

I can't tell you every possible thing that could cause an error in a polygraph test any more than you could tell me every possible thing that could cause an error in a DNA comparison.  From the literature I have read, polygraphists shouldn't do an exam after an aggressive interrogation due to the possibility of physiological exhaustion causing an error, they don't permit extra people in the polygraph room in order to avoid errors caused by distraction due to talking or movement of the 3rd party, they don't test people with recent injuries to avoid errors caused by chronic pain and they don't conduct tests on people unable to comprehend the meaning of questions to avoid errors caused by misunderstanding the meaning of a question, etc. I can't name them all but errors do occur. If you look at other scientific tests you would discover that many have a much higher error rate than any quantified by known studies for polygraph.  A TB skin test for example has an error rate between 30 and 70%.

Error rates cannot be affected from within a testing protocol. If you change your scoring/evaluation criteria to reduce false positives, false negatives will increase proportionately. Error rates can only be changed by altering the protocol in some fashion. 

Since all scientific tests have error rates, necessarily forensic examinations used by the police also have error rates and a false positive in any of them could put a suspect in exactly the same predicament as a false positive in a polygraph test. 
This includes but isn’t limited to:

Latent Fingerprint comparison:   The FBI AFIS system sometimes provides dozens of probable matches that require further investigation. Sometimes it only kicks out one match and it’s the wrong guy. Why? I don’t know. Do you?
I won’t do that with the rest  but they all have error rates
Blood Alcohol Analysis (Breath)
Blood Alcohol Analysis (Blood)
Handwriting Comparison
Statement Analysis
Determination of speed from skid marks
Determination of speed from yaw marks
Determination of speed from deformation of metal
Presence of blood
Presence of human blood
Marijuana field test
Marijuana Lab test
Heroin Field test
Heroin Lab Test
as a matter of fact to save time all presumptive tests for drugs whether in the field or lab have error rates.
Urinalysis
Ink analysis
Identification of trace evidence
Foot Print Comparison
Puzzle fit analysis
Ballistics
Hair Analysis
I still stand by my previous post that if you took all of the people who have posted on this board during the last 8 years whining that they told the truth and failed their polygraph and added them to the 1325 signatures including Joke Names, Duplications and  Line Voided, during that same time period, and compared them to the number of polygraph tests administered during that same time period, you would find that you are a member of a  very tiny yet vocal group, even if you assume that every one of your number is the victim of some error.  

I would argue that if every one of you were found to have some error on your polygraph you couldn't successfully invalidate the 98% accuracy rate claim that Jack Trimarco allegedly made to Dr. Maschke regarding polygraph.

While an error in your particular case may be significant to you because of your personal involvement, the mere possibility that an error was made in your case is not that significant to the big picture.

Do you really think your interrogation would have been any less traumatic if you didn’t take a polygraph and the investigator decided you were the culprit? You just decided to focus on polygraph as the source of your discomfort when it was the interviewer that made you feel bad. 

I don't know of anyone who has ever been convicted of a crime based solely on the results of a polygraph, but a blanket statement that they cannot be admitted as evidence is innacurate. 

Sancho Panza  The character was the voice of reason in the face of insanity.

Or Perhaps a Fine Cigar

Sancho,
Well, first off thanks for the extensive response.
Though I am not familiar with most of the tests and how they rank in validity I can agree that ALL tests can have an error rate.
That being said you cannot compare Polygraph to any of those namely because the variables in Polygraph far outweigh the reliability of the test. This is why Polygraph as opposed to DNA is not admissible in court ( as you said yourself you know of no case where someone was convicted solely on Polygraph evidence) where DNA and many other proven scientific test are admissible and have been used to convict many criminals.

To answer your question though my interrogation was not at all traumatic until the polygrapher decided I was a liar based on his silly machine. I was not only not given a Miranda waring but was told I did not need an attorney. I was also told repeatedly that polygraph is 98% accurate and there is no way the test was wrong.
I decided to "focus" as you said on polygraph because it was polygraph that was the non-scientific "test" that failed and labeled me a liar and a thief. I have come to see that I am not alone not by a long shot.

I got active on this site because I saw that this was a scam and in my case thanks to a justice system that understands that Polygraph is not at all accurate I didn't suffer any more than the exam itself.

Now others loose their jobs or are denied jobs due to the use of this non-sensicle machine.
I am sorry Sancho but that is just wrong.

The numbers represented on this site I am sure you can understand do not represent ALL those people that have been wrongly labeled by polygraph. So, if you have to make a determination of percentages you need to take into account ALL those people not only the as you call us " vocal few"

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #41 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 3:00am
You must have no real concept of the contaminants in a crime scene that introduce variables in forensic analysis. Don't take my word for it. I think Sergeant has waded though a few. 

GM just posted a case the other day in which a bloody palm print and DNA from the bloody print was used in the prosecution of an apparently innocent individual because the variables concerning the texture of the blood in the print and other possible ways for the print to have been on the lamp were ignored in the face of "irrefutable" and admissible DNA Evidence.  This was a case where you have the suspect's bloody palm print in the victim's blood on the murder weapon. Until you begin to consider variables it was an open and shut case. This was just one DNA error out of several in the case. 

If this lad's Defense attorneys hadn't asked the right questions DNA would have put an innocent man in prison and the public would have believed him guilty forever because shows like CSI try to convince people that DNA is perfect when it is far from it.    Those 1 in a gazillion DNA matches only occur if NO mistakes are made and all possible variables are considered. Barry Scheck clobbered the crime scene guys in the OJ trial because they failed to follow proper collection and handling protocols.

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #42 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 6:04am
SanchoPanza wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 3:00am:
You must have no real concept of the contaminants in a crime scene that introduce variables in forensic analysis. Don't take my word for it. I think Sergeant has waded though a few. 

GM just posted a case the other day in which a bloody palm print and DNA from the bloody print was used in the prosecution of an apparently innocent individual because the variables concerning the texture of the blood in the print and other possible ways for the print to have been on the lamp were ignored in the face of "irrefutable" and admissible DNA Evidence.  This was a case where you have the suspect's bloody palm print in the victim's blood on the murder weapon. Until you begin to consider variables it was an open and shut case. This was just one DNA error out of several in the case. 

If this lad's Defense attorneys hadn't asked the right questions DNA would have put an innocent man in prison and the public would have believed him guilty forever because shows like CSI try to convince people that DNA is perfect when it is far from it.    Those 1 in a gazillion DNA matches only occur if NO mistakes are made and all possible variables are considered. Barry Scheck clobbered the crime scene guys in the OJ trial because they failed to follow proper collection and handling protocols.

Sancho Panza

BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA Sancho all this is very impressive however it does NOTHING to further the scientific validity of Polygraph. The NSA, many other noted experts, and this country's justice system have all concluded that your "test" is not scientifically valid, and is not on par with the actual scientific tests that you mention.
That is simply FACT Sancho. Your overwhelming need to validate what you do for a living does not add validity to a "test' that does not work as used.
If at any time there actually is a "lie detector" that is scientifically proven to work I will be the first to acknowledge it.
Until then Polygraph and Polygraphers can pretend to be doctors and actual scientific technology but pretending doesn't make it so.
And as long as most people believe it can do what you say it does then you will enjoy the fruits of ignorance. 
Please know that we are working to change that by informing and educating.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #43 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 11:31am
Notguilty1   a blanket statement that polygraph results cannot be admitted as evidence is innaccurate.

You are either misinformed or just shading the truth to your advantage.

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #44 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 3:37pm
SanchoPanza wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 11:31am:
Notguilty1   a blanket statement that polygraph results cannot be admitted as evidence is innaccurate.

You are either misinformed or just shading the truth to your advantage.

Sancho Panza

SANCHO LETS SEE IF CAPS WILL MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND BETTER.
GENERALLY SPEAKING POLYGRAPH IS NOT ADMISSIBLE IN COURT AS DNA AND OTHER PROVEN TESTS ARE. 
YOUR CONTINUING TO DECLARE THAT MY STATEMENT IS INACCURATE IS STATUS QUO FOR YOUR ILK. YOU NEED PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THAT POLYGRAPH IS AT LEAST AS VALID AS DNA (SOME OF YOU TOUT BETETR ACCURACY RATES!!!)
I will spell it out for you:
Polygraphs are rarely admissible in court. New Mexico is the only state in the United States that allows for open admissibility of polygraph exam results. Every other state requires some type of stipulation to be met prior to admitting polygraph exams into record. In most cases, both sides of a legal case have to agree prior to the trial that they will allow polygraphs to be admitted. On the federal level, the admissibility criteria are much more vague and admission typically depends on the approval of the judge.
So, saying that Polygraph is not admissible in court IS a valid statement and not "shading" the truth at all but, what would you know about valid? 
So Sancho, who is "shading" the truth to their advantage? 
My living does not rely on Polygraphs survival 
What angers me about people like you is that you seem to be quite intelligent so I know you understand all this. So the only reason left for your statements and positions is purely self serving. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Polygraph Interrogation versus DNA testing results

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X