Normal Topic Need Some Expert Advice (Read 2276 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dyeimpy19
New User

Need Some Expert Advice
Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have been stressed for years now before stumbling upon this site and now everything makes sense.  I have always thought there was something fake about this magic box of theirs but never knew it.  I never always wanted to be in LE until going to college.  Little did I know, going into this, that my past would play such a huge role in grounding me from using my observational skills in a benevolent way.  Now with a couple degrees in hand, I am ready to put myself on the market.  I have been limiting myself to only a few departments, but that will all change soon.

Cutting to the chase, I am in the process of filling out a background packet for a local department that requires all applicants to take a lie detector.  I have gone through my packet and answered truthfully throughout.  What troubles me is all the little things I've done, specifically when I was a minor.  After reading through some posts and the many downloads, I went back through my packet and began to change a few of my answers.  My packet now shows that I have committed many crimes but not as many serious crimes.  Looking through the packet now, I feel confident in my ability to compete with other applicants.

I need an expert opinion on how I should go about preparing for the poly.  I figured stories relating to why I would be bothered by some questions would suffice.  I am concerned that my honesty in many of the questions will result in failure.  That is why I admitted to several crimes and left them in there.  Is this a good idea?  Additionally, I understand the concepts, but I am confused as to how I should answers to control questions.  I really just want to be 100% honest with those.  Lastly, I have also toned down many of my answers so that I am still answers truthfully but to only the minor stuff.  Is this something I should do? 

I tend to continue to gain as much information from this site as possible.  I promise to make inform everyone about this site, regardless if help is received.  I don't want to see any other people, like me, miss out on living the dream.  I can not believe a country as great as ours can be so lethargic.  Huh

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Re: Need Some Expert Advice
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 3:28pm
I am no expert in this however I have seen responses to posts like yours go like this:
This site is not here to help people lie. 
I have to agree with this sentiment.
If your actually dishonest you should not get the job. You say you have committed  "many" crimes, some serious. Maybe LE is not the best place for you to seek a job. 
My suggestion would be to be honest on your application and the agency deems it was irrelevant due to your young age at the time, then you can take the poly without worrying. Not that that will assure you a pass.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dyeimpy19
New User

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 7:16pm
Thank you for the response.  I really do not wish to lie on the test but I've wanted this job for years.  It really comes down to what the BI thinks of my information first.  I will take your advice into consideration.  I need to do everything I can to perform exceptionally in other areas.

As for not being cut out to be in LE, I am really not sure.  I have educated myself in it but have yet to enjoy the job.  I work as a security officer and have been told by many co-workers, clients, average people, friends, family, that I'm meant to do this.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 12:43am
Polygraphers think that is is okay to lie in order to get a job; I don't.

Answer all questions truthfully, except on the polygraph you can lie on the control questions (in fact, you must lie on them or you're being uncooperative and they'll think you're trying to hide something) and things will almost certainly work out well for you in the end, regardless of where you end up.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wanda loo

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:50pm
So- I can tell the truth, but indentifying the control questions and lying about those will make me pass?? What is an example in your words of a "control question?"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 5:55pm
Quote:
Additionally, I understand the concepts, but I am confused as to how I should answers to control questions.

You give the "expected" answer, and they expect you to lie.

Remember, what they do is compare your reaction when LYING on a "control", to your reaction if any, when answering a "relevant" question.  So if the control question is "Have you ever lied to a person of authority?", and of course almost everyone has,  they expect and want  you to answer "no".  Any reaction will be compared to reactions when you answer the relevant questions (e.g. "Have you used drugs in the past .. years?").   If your reaction to that relevant question is greater than the control you fail!  So  you want a bigger reaction to a control question.

Quote:
I really just want to be 100% honest with those.

NO!  This is what screws people up.  If you feel real good about the controls, you're reaction will be small and you will fail!  Welcome to the whacky world of poligraphy.

You want to be honest on the RELEVANT questions.  Feel good about them and STICK TO YOUR ANSWER!  They will try to tell you that the machine is indicating deception on one or more of the relevant questions (which is bullshit).  They will recommend you tell them EVERYTHING so nothing is BOTHERING YOU on the relevant questions.  They do this simply to EXTRACT INFORMATION.  At this point, people start to question their own minds ("Gee, maybe there IS  something bothering me that IS making me 'react', but what could it be?  OMG!).  What they SHOULD be questioning is the machine ("Hey, I understand the relevant question, I answered it truthfully, if it is saying I am being deceptive than the machine, NOT ME, is screwed up!")(Note: This is what should be happening in your MIND.  Don't ever tell the examiner his machine is screwed up!)

Read this:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-lepet.pdf

In particular, Section 2 "Principles of LE Preemployment Test".  Read what they have to say about the concept of "Psychological Set".  In short, you want to focus all your concern, fear, trepidations, anal retentiveness on the CONTROL questions, and feel all good, warm and fuzzy about your answers to the RELEVANT questions.   Many do just the opposite and FAIL!

TC
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2008 at 6:14pm by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Need Some Expert Advice

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X