Normal Topic Should I try? (Read 2054 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box devildog

Should I try?
Jul 10th, 2008 at 9:24pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am in the BI part of the application process for a local LE agency.  6 years years ago I was accused of a crime while I was serving in the military.  I had a hired a lawyer and was told that NCIS would drop the charges if I agree to take and pass a polygraph.  Even though he thought PG's were BS, he thought it couldn't hurt to do it if the charge could go away.

My lawyer had set up a polygraph with a private firm to see how I would handle taking one.  I passed with flying colors and the polygrapher told me I should have no problem with the NCIS one.

I took the NCIS one a week later and failed.  the questions were a little different, but implied the same thing.  I didn't understand why the machine was picking deceptions when I knew I was telling the truth.  The charge was eventually dropped, but opted to get out of my military service because I knew the insident would follow me throughout my career.

Being in LE is what I really want to in life.  I plan on being 100% truthful for the exam.  But after reading through this website, I am not sure whether I should use counter measures or not.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Should I try?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:27am
Quote:
I didn't understand why the machine was picking deceptions when I knew I was telling the truth.

Simple.  The test (actually, it's an interrogation disguised as a test) doesn't detect deception.  It just measures your nervous system's reaction to questions, which can be the result of a lot of things other than deception.

Quote:
I plan on being 100% truthful for the exam.

That is NOT ENOUGH!  Plenty of people tell the truth and fail.   

You also need to:

1)  Believe unequivocally that their stupid machine can NOT tell whether you are lying.

2)  Know that their goal, if they get a "reaction" from you on their "magic box", is to get an admission or other info from you to MAKE THEIR CASE that you are lying.

3)  So, make NO ADMISSIONS!  Tell the truth and stick to your guns.

4)  But do not be CONFRONTATIVE, or criticize their device (they are very sensitive).  In fact,  try to build a rapport with them.  Complement them.  Be as "phoney boloney" as they are.

Read the "lie behind the lie dectector" downloadable from the home page of this site.  It answers all the questions the polygraphers DON'T want you to know.  It explains their little con game in great detail.  The more you know what a farce it is, the better.

TC
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008 at 5:34am by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polytechnic
New User

Re: Should I try?
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 2:39pm
[quote author=0706150A0F070C04630 link=1215725050/0#0 date=1215725050]I am in the BI part of the application process for a local LE agency.  6 years years ago I was accused of a crime while I was serving in the military.  I had a hired a lawyer and was told that NCIS would drop the charges if I agree to take and pass a polygraph.  Even though he thought PG's were BS, he thought it couldn't hurt to do it if the charge could go away.

My lawyer had set up a polygraph with a private firm to see how I would handle taking one.  I passed with flying colors and the polygrapher told me I should have no problem with the NCIS one.[/unquote]

Polygraph examiners are famous for producing Popular Results.

[quote] I took the NCIS one a week later and failed.  [/unquote]

No surprise there. Examiners dont like it when one of their own passes a guy who purchased his own test. Kinda weird mindset isn't it - and they all do both.

[quote]the questions were a little different, but implied the same thing.  I didn't understand why the machine was picking deceptions when I knew I was telling the truth.  [/unquote]

Again, no surprise. The polygraph is a confession generator. It collects raw data under conditions it cannot control; under ambient conditions that CANNOT be programmed in. Therefore it produces data that in itself has no direct link with the telling of lies or truth.

[quote] The charge was eventually dropped, but opted to get out of my military service because I knew the insident would follow me throughout my career.[/unquote]

Thats just one small disgrace all by itself.

[quote] Being in LE is what I really want to in life.  I plan on being 100% truthful for the exam.  But after reading through this website, I am not sure whether I should use counter measures or not.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. [/unquote]

Well you know know where telling the truth got you. Do not make any admissions regarding past alleged or real misconduct except if it was recorded. Admit that and nothing else. They start by chipping away at you iro previous minor misdemeanours and get you so worked up that you get sucked up. Admit shit. Look him in the eye and say to yourself 'dickhead'

IP Logged

Should I try?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X