Normal Topic Lessons from repeated Poly's in Fort Worth area (Read 5039 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box billybobby
New User

Lessons from repeated Poly's in Fort Worth area
Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:00pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm in the Fort Worth area and was on probation so I had to take repeated polygraphs.  I took about 10 over a number of years with just about everyone on this area: Wood's being the largest, but 3-4 others as well over the years.

The first few times I had no problem at all.  I was scared of every question and I told the truth, so they came out correctly.  THEN I failed one but I wasn't lying.  Over repeated exposure I had realized that the "control" questions (I didn't know they were control questions, I thought they were throw away questions) didn't matter.  Then I started showing no response to them.

By not being afraid of what I considered throw-away questions I failed.  And, when you fail a polygraph it's a REAL PROBLEM.  I wasn't lying, but any stress at all on a "relevant" question vs no response on a "throw away" question = a big fat failure.  So I retook and AND FAILED AGAIN.  Now I was in serious trouble.  I was so upset the 2nd time that I talked the polygrapher into reviewing the test.  When I called him a couple days later he said I cleared it - even though he showed the scores and I had failed miserable.  He was using computers to score the test.

So, what did I do?  I came here.  I read the guide and I put it into practice.  After that I passed the next one with flying colors.  But here's where it goes sideways - since I knew I could pass any polygraph I didn't have to worry about the conditions of my probation anymore.  I left the county without permission and did other things that weren't illegal but weren't allowed by my terms of probation.

I passed every polygraph for the next 4 years lying, or at least being willing to lie if a question came up on the test I couldn't answer truthfully.  And I was maniplating EVERY test question whether I needed to lie or not.  The final test used a butt sensor thing, but I just tensed different muscles and was careful.

THE FIRST PROBLEM - was that the polys I failed were totally inaccurate.  So, I had to do something to enhance my results.

THE SECOND PROBLEM - was that once I learned how to beat the machine I had no quams with cheating on my probation requirements.

I was committed to trusting the "professionals" and the "science" behind polygraphs.  It worked some, but when they fail - which is totally unpredictable since polygraphs are based on lies and deception at least, and human error and manipulation as well - then the consequences to ANYONE whether your on probation, trying to get a job, trying to prove your innocence, etc. are DIRE!!

Add to that the fact that they are so EASILY BEATEN.  I did it OVER AND OVER AGAIN while on probation with multiple polygraphers in the Fort Worth / Tarrant County area.  And you have a recipe for disaster on both fronts.

So, there's my story. 

-----------

I know a lot of people on here are getting into law enforcement.  I think the lesson here is to use your judgement and do your job.  Don't count on BS lie detectors to give you anything useful.  I did my best to follow all my rules for years - until I failed this test.  Then I didn't have to try so hard.  I completed all the conditions of my probation and haven't been in any trouble (or done anything illegal) since.  But, it was very disappointing and terrifying when I failed TWO polys by being truthful.  And it's sad that lying and cheating was the answer to the problem.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:16pm by billybobby »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Lessons from repeated Poly's in Fort Worth area
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:56am
Billybob,

That is the most preposterous story I have ever heard.   

Everyone knows polygraphs are 98% accurate, yet you claim to have "tricked the machine".  I don't believe it.

I suppose you are really proud of yourself.  Are you a child molester or do you work for Al Qaeda?  Perhaps you are one of those dastardly "human rights lemmings" who come here to whine like little girls.   

It is traitorous vermin like yourself that necessitates having the polygraph in the first place.  You make me sick!  You sir, are filthier than dirt!  I will no longer respond to your vicious posts!

Just kidding.  Just polishing up my polygrapher impersonation.  How do you like it?   Cheesy

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box billybobby
New User

Re: Lessons from repeated Poly's in Fort Worth area
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:23am
Wink  Funny, thanks for the welcome.

IP Logged

Lessons from repeated Poly's in Fort Worth area

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X