Normal Topic Send a Suggestion to the Obama Campaign to End Polygraph Screening (Read 8017 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Send a Suggestion to the Obama Campaign to End Polygraph Screening
Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The Obama campaign has a web form through which members of the public can present their ideas on issues of policy. Regardless of whom you support for president of the United States in this fall's election, you might want to send a suggestion to the Obama campaign to end polygraph screening:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/mypolicy

I submitted the following suggestion under the topic "Homeland Security":

Quote:
End polygraph screening. The lie detector has been the centerpiece of U.S. counterintelligence policy for decades, but scientists overwhelmingly agree that it's junk science.

During President Bush's 1st term, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) conducted a thorough review of the scientific evidence on the polygraph and concluded that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies."

The Bush Administration has completely disregarded this scientific finding and has instead EXPANDED federal reliance on the polygraph. As president, Barack Obama can improve U.S. security and prevent needless harm to individuals by ending our reliance on this pseudoscientific procedure that terrorist organizations such as Al-Qaeda KNOW doesn't work.

In addition to being a supporter of Mr. Obama's candidacy, I'm also a co-founder of AntiPolygraph.org, a non-profit, public interest website dedicated to exposing and ending waste, fraud, and abuse associated with the use of lie detectors. You'll find additional documentation on our website of the unreliability of the polygraph and the harm that misplaced reliance on it has caused to our national security:

http://antipolygraph.org

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, and I wish Mr. Obama all the best going into November!

Sincerely,

George Maschke

PS: I'm also a former U.S. Army Reserve intelligence officer, am fluent in Arabic and Persian, and hold a doctoral degree from UCLA in Near Eastern languages.

As you may surmise, I support Obama's candidacy for president. But the polygraph issue is not a partisan one (and AntiPolygraph.org is not affiliated with any party or candidate). It's an issue of science versus pseudoscience, reason versus unreason. So again, for whomever you intend to vote this fall, please consider politely sharing your views on polygraph screening with the Obama campaign.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2008 at 10:05pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Harry Gillis

Re: Send a Suggestion to the Obama Campaign to End Polygraph Screening
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:11am
Suggested ad for Barak Obama --
Show a good McCain one liner from the Letterman show followed by Sara Palin shouting "Live From New York It's Saturday Night Live" with the comment "They're a good comedy team but do we want them playing the White House?"
Harry Gillis, 81, absentee voter for Obama-Biden

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Carbonneau

Salutations
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:32pm
One of the first things that will confront Mr. Obama as President will be the addressing of the military. What I mean is, he will be saluted. Please make sure that he is well versed in the proper way to return a salute. It will go a long way in the perception department and gain some points with those he will command. Just a thought. Thank you and I wish him well.

IP Logged

Send a Suggestion to the Obama Campaign to End Polygraph Screening

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X