Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Voice Stress analysis to be used in UK to fight benefits fraud (Read 11312 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Re: Voice Stress analysis to be used in UK to fight benefits fraud
Reply #15 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
“In the United States, there are an estimated 17,784 law enforcement agencies, spread out across the federal, state, and local levels of government. Policing and law enforcement services are mainly the jurisdiction of local government, with an estimated 12,666 local police agencies and 3,070 sheriff's departments.[1] Local police include county police, metropolitan police, city, and town police departments. In addition, there are 1,376 special-purpose district police agencies, with jurisdiction over parks, schools, housing, transit, etc.” (Source: Wikipedia)

The number of LEA that reportedly use the CVSA is 1,400. That is the same number that NITV has been advertising for the last 8-10 years.  That number is used to make it appear that it is a perferred method of detection of deception.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  The reality is that only 7% of police agencies in the Unted States use the CVSA.  And those that use it for pre-employment screening are probably in violation of federal employment laws.  Hardly an amount to suggest that it is overtaking or supplanting the polygraph.  And as time goes on, that number is going down simply because those agencies learned the hard way that the CVSA simply does not perform as advertised.  It is however, very effective when used as a door stop, boat anchor or paper weight.
Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:59pm
Quote:
I myself have had friends take a CVSA then call me to tell me they lied their asses off and still passed.   

Aldridge Ames and Larry Wu-tai Chin and the "Green Rive Killer"  lied their asses off yet passed their polygraph test too.

This is like watching witches arguing over who can cast the best "spell".

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2008 at 10:24pm
Sarge,

no hypocracy here.  I have read no indepedent study or research which supports the CVSA in determining truth (in the manner a polygraph does).  It is, on the other hand, a great interrogation tool.  On the other hand, there is plenty of research and studies which support the accuracy and validity of polygraph testing, whether you wish to believe in it or not.  

Additionally, this has nothing to do with my contacts having false negatives.  Interestingly though, of the many friends I know that have undergone pre-employment polygraph or periodic updates to clearances, not one has ever called me up to report they underwent a polygraph, were truthful and were subsequently told by the examiner that they were lying.  

I'm sure the phone lines were jammed that day, huh?!

Sackett 

P.S.  Cullen, whose arguing?  But if the facts are blurring your vision, best to stay out of the conversation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2008 at 3:48am
Quote:
On the other hand, there is plenty of research and studies which support the accuracy and validity of polygraph testing, whether you wish to believe in it or not. 

Can you please cite some references?

Quote:
not one has ever called me up to report they underwent a polygraph, were truthful and were subsequently told by the examiner that they were lying. 

So what does that prove?

OTOH, there have been a steady stream of people who have posted on POLYGRAPHPLACE.COM, a PRO-poly site, claiming to have been false positive.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Voice Stress analysis to be used in UK to fight benefits fraud

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X