Normal Topic Should I Let Them Know? (Read 10381 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Texan126
New User

Should I Let Them Know?
Apr 30th, 2008 at 10:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I will try to make this as brief as possible and hopefully, people can understand somewhat where I am coming from. I have two things im concerned about with the hiring process through PD.

I dont know if I should bring up any of this information during the Background/Polygraph or just lie about it.

Of course when I was younger (around 9) I watched a movie that had some guy talking about putting peanut butter on his balls and having the dog lick them. I had to try it to know what they were talking about. You can laugh, not a problem. 

When I was 14, I had a family member who had seen a movie on HBO. She was only 12, but had taken off my pants while I was sleeping and started messing around with me. I woke up scared, didnt know what to do, and just layed there. Her aunt walked in and of course accused me. They asked her what she was doing and she told them what she saw on tv. Of course I was blamed for it and I have always had this guilty conscience about it.

Both of these have bugged the hell out of me and im kinda worried about going through the hiring process. Im 24 now, so it was definetly a long time ago. Let me know if you guys think I should ever mention it during my background or polygraph. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Re: Should I Let Them Know?
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:22pm
"Tex",

if that's your only personal issues, you are welcome to apply with my dept.

If polygraph examiners who conducted pre-employment tests told all they hear, it would make the Catholic priest scandal look "normal."  My advice it to tell the examiner about it; otherwise, it will bother you during the test and you will fail over something really silly.

Sexual explorations and experimentations are "normal" for children.  Get it off your chest so you won't have any issues.  While embarrassing today, this is hardly "abnormal" activity in the real world.

Good luck,

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2008 at 5:06am
Quote:
Both of these have bugged the hell out of me and im kinda worried about going through the hiring process. Im 24 now, so it was definetly a long time ago. Let me know if you guys think I should ever mention it during my background or polygraph.

Depends on what question they ask you, and whether it is a "relevant" vs "control" question.  For example, a quesition like "have ever done anything your are embarassed about" is likely to be a control question.  If you "react" more to a "control" question, than a "relevant" question, you are less likely to fail.

Read "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" and learn what you can about polygraph process.

http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2008 at 6:10pm
Hey Tex,

what you have reported here is part of the unlaful sexual activity questions at most dept's.  Just tell them the truth and you shouldn't have any problems, for the reasons I suggest above.  They may not ask.

Follow the advice on this board, try to beat the examiner and you'll more than likely get caught, and not get the position.  Why?  because we examiners like to think that if someone is trying to cheat on a test, ANY TEST, there is a reason!   

You decide what is right but if you choose the wrong path, don't come whining here, cause I'll say I told you so...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2008 at 10:54pm
sackett wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:22pm:
"Tex",
My advice it to tell the examiner about it; otherwise, it will bother you during the test and you will fail over something really silly.
Sackett

Tex, let me translate for you.  What Sackett really said, is that you can fail a polygraph despite telling the absolute truth on all the question, because of something silly that might be bothering you.

This old cops advice is to answer the questions honestly, and realize that you have no control over the process.  If they fail you, they really don't think you are lying, they just suppose you are.  In fact, most departments will let you re-test a later date, (meaning it's okay to try again, because deep down we know that the poly is worthless anyway, but we can't let you into the club at this moment, cause some machine put some squiggly lines on a piece of paper, afterwhich a trade school graduate opined that those squiggly lines  meant you lied to him.   

Of course, what most administers don't know and don't care either, is the fact that thier polygrapher lies to the candidates, but you see, he is a member of the club, and it's okay to lie if you are already a member of the club.

Food for thought.   

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2008 at 2:45am
nopolycop wrote on May 1st, 2008 at 10:54pm:
sackett wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:22pm:
"Tex",
My advice it to tell the examiner about it; otherwise, it will bother you during the test and you will fail over something really silly.
Sackett

Tex, let me translate for you.  What Sackett really said, is that you can fail a polygraph despite telling the absolute truth on all the question, because of something silly that might be bothering you.

This old cops advice is to answer the questions honestly, and realize that you have no control over the process.  If they fail you, they really don't think you are lying, they just suppose you are.  In fact, most departments will let you re-test a later date, (meaning it's okay to try again, because deep down we know that the poly is worthless anyway, but we can't let you into the club at this moment, cause some machine put some squiggly lines on a piece of paper, afterwhich a trade school graduate opined that those squiggly lines  meant you lied to him.  

Of course, what most administers don't know and don't care either, is the fact that thier polygrapher lies to the candidates, but you see, he is a member of the club, and it's okay to lie if you are already a member of the club.

Food for thought.  

"n.p.c.",

do not suppose to interpret my statements.  You are hardly qualified to do so.  Besides; you are always wrong...

You said, "This old cops advice is to answer the questions honestly..."
Dang!  Ain't that what I said first?  Gee, a little of me must be rubbing off on you... better go take a shower so you get back on track with the boys!

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LAPD77
New User

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 2:22pm
If someone makes an admission like this in their post interview, will the examiner make a note and add it to their hiring packet? I believe the situation above would fall under "childhood experimentation" and would not be held against anyone.  I have a similar situation (age 9)that I had totally forgot about until recently when  I was filling out a pre questionnaire packet. I have several friends in the department that I am applying for that may see my background hiring packet and them finding out that at age 9 i let a dog lick me would be quite embarrassing. 
Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Old Timer

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 8:11am
LAPD77 wrote on Apr 17th, 2014 at 2:22pm:
If someone makes an admission like this in their post interview, will the examiner make a note and add it to their hiring packet?

Yes!

Quote:
I believe the situation above would fall under "childhood experimentation" and would not be held against anyone.

You're mistaken.

Quote:
I have a similar situation (age 9)that I had totally forgot about until recently when  I was filling out a pre questionnaire packet. I have several friends in the department that I am applying for that may see my background hiring packet and them finding out that at age 9 i let a dog lick me would be quite embarrassing. 
Thanks 

You would be wise to keep that information to yourself.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RetCopInGA
New User

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 8:36pm
Quote:
LAPD77 wrote on Apr 17th, 2014 at 2:22pm:
If someone makes an admission like this in their post interview, will the examiner make a note and add it to their hiring packet?

Yes!

Quote:
I believe the situation above would fall under "childhood experimentation" and would not be held against anyone.

You're mistaken.

Quote:
I have a similar situation (age 9)that I had totally forgot about until recently when  I was filling out a pre questionnaire packet. I have several friends in the department that I am applying for that may see my background hiring packet and them finding out that at age 9 i let a dog lick me would be quite embarrassing. 
Thanks 

You would be wise to keep that information to yourself.

I happen to agree with you.  The caveat here is whether the BI investigator assigned to you is going to likely talk to anybody that accused you.  If so, you may consider telling the truth up front.  If not likely, just forget it.  You were a kid

IP Logged

Should I Let Them Know?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X