Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) According to Polygrapher:  Irregular breathing must mean contermeasures (Read 24151 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: According to Polygrapher:  Irregular breathing must mean contermeasures
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 12:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
pailryder wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 12:39pm:
George
Is it Lethe's accusation that we are infantilizing our children that shows his deep understanding of our profession, or is it his suggestion that we should be put down like dogs?

His understanding of polygraphy is deeper than that of polygraph practitioners because he understands that it has no scientific basis.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 1:36pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 1:59am:
Notice how our resident polygrapher spends most of the above post attacking the board and it's members, rather than constructively responding to Ohio99's post.

TC

Ms Cullen,

if you would take notice that I try to respond to as many "points" or opinions as possible (made by your folks).  I spend my time trying to answer yours and other's statements in an effort to avoind being called non-responsive.  Make up your mind!  If I don't respond you accuse me of avoidance, when I do respond you accuse me of "spending most of my time" attacking posters...  Roll Eyes

Sackett

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 2:05pm
Jim, what polygraphers evidently do not to care about is the plight of those whom they wrongly brand as liars, or whom they falsely accuse of using countermeasures. I don't think any polygraph examiner wants to make false accusations against innocent persons. But given polygraphy's lack of scientific underpinnings, it's inevitably going to happen--and more frequently than polygraphers care to acknowledge.

George,

I do not find that all examiners are careless in whom they accuse or suspect of using CM's or being falsely suspected of deception.  We (generally) do care about the results of every examination.  The problem is, like most tests involving human beings, the risk of false results is greatly outweighed by the accuracy and utility of the test.  We, as examiners admit there are false positives and negatives within our profession.  We DO NOT agree they are as frequent as you would like your readers to believe.

I think that if most polygraph examiners took a candid and critical look at what it is they are doing, they could not in good conscience continue in this line of work. 

I think you are wrong and are repeatedly proven as such when claiming anyone who reads your book can easily beat the examiner.

So instead, they delude themselves about it: they dismiss the National Academy of Sciences as a bunch of know-nothing eggheads, they attribute bad motives to polygraph critics, and they avoid critical thinking and the asking of troubling questions about what it is they do for a living.

No-one said the NAS was prepared and written by "know nothing egg heads", though I like your terminology.  Many of us simply dispute the intent and agenda behind the selected readings and research used in the paper.

Lethe exhibits a deeper understanding of polygraphy than any practitioner of this fraudulent profession.

You are certainly entitled to your evaluative opinion.

What you're referring to is the fact that we no longer suggest contraction of the anal sphincter muscle as a countermeasure, in view of the increasing use of pneumatic or, more commonly in recent years, piezo-electric seat pads used in an attempt to detect and deter such countermeasures. While there are no scientific studies regarding the effectiveness of any of such these devices for the detection of countermeasures, it seems plausible that they might work, and given the ready availability of other countermeasure techniques that clearly cannot be detected by such seat pads, it seems prudent to use them, instead.

I have said many times here, CM's DO NOT beat the test, they beat the examiner.  If an examiner is trained in detecting CM's and stays on top of what you and the others teach, they are relatively easy to catch.  If, like I have also said, and which applies to many examiners, they remain complacent; they will be beaten.

...In peer-reviewed studies by Honts and others, half of test subjects were able to fool the polygraph after a maximum of only 30 minutes of instruction. The countermeasures taught (including tongue-biting and mentally counting backward by 7s timely with the asking of the control/comparison questions) were similar to those outlined in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Citations and abstracts for these studies are provided in the bibliography of TLBTLD.

I am addressing readers of this board using what you teach on their own and employing CM's and beating the examiner; NOT, what a researcher can teach and instruct a novice in how to provide enhanced physiology in order to produce false readings.  There is a big difference between the two, and this research did not address whether the examiner was able to detect what they were doing in regards to CM's, only their effect on the test itself.

It should not surprise you that those who have been falsely accused of deception based on the pseudoscientific quackery that you practice for a living might respond with sarcasm when polygraphers pontificate about such matters as honesty and integrity.

George, how do you know what his ground truth was?  You accept everyone's tale of woe at face value as it supports your agenda; and without any proof or support.

You say this is a "very slanted board?!" How about PolygraphPlace.com, where you serve as a moderator, and where polygraph critics such as myself are not permitted to post?!

Polygrahplace.com was never and has never presented itself as an open board for anyone to post their opinions and statements about polygraph.  It IS a place where someone with an honest question about polygraph can get an honest answer from examiners without receiving an opinionated diatribe, like as experienced here.

Of course each individual should make up his or her own mind for him- or herself. And they should do so upon full consideration of the evidence. That's why the AntiPolygraph.org message board, unlike your one, is uncensored. We don't fear debate. We welcome it.

George, lets be honest.  There is no debate here, there is only attacks on pro-polygraph supporters and then milk and cookies and the sining of Kumbaya for the so-called anti folks. 

It seems that some polygraphers are sensitive to countermeasures to the point of seeing them where they don't exist.

Most examiners are sensitive to CM's.  Many are hyper-sensitive.  I agree.  Most of this has to do with training.  Some are comfortable with their knowledge.  Some are paranoid and may very well see them where they don't exists.  This is an individual issue and no-one can control that.

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 7:49pm
sackett wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 2:05pm:

We DO NOT agree they are as frequent as you would like your readers to believe.

Sackett

So, how frequent are false positives and false negatives?

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #19 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 8:17pm
Quote:

With regard to preemployment tests, and according to the NAS report, frequent enough to justify NOT having the test!

But that would require LEADERSHIP on the part of politicians and bureaucrats who allow preemployment testing to continue.  They are the ones ULTIMATELY to blame!

Let the record show, however, that there have been some on Capitol Hill who have tried to do the right thing.  In fact, the NAS report was requested by Congress, I believe.  Sen Deconcini (R-NM) admonished congress on his way out of the senate for not acting on the report.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 10:14pm
nopolycop wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 7:49pm:
sackett wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 2:05pm:

We DO NOT agree they are as frequent as you would like your readers to believe.

Sackett

n.p.c./TC

what?  You don't know?  I thought you both had a better understanding of polygraph than that of a lowly examiner, such as myself...

Well, to fill you in, I don't know any official statistics because I haven't conducted the research, but I know they are fairly low percentage rates with myself and many of the examiners I speak with.   

How do we know? Because the outcome of investigations, further personnel review, admissions and confessions support my statement.  You have what?  A little research conducted in a controlled environment and even that indicating relative low percentage numbers which are then blown out of proportion here, in order to make the necessity of this board more relevant???   

Your point is weak and baseless.  Have a nice day.

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 4:32am
sackett wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 10:14pm:
but I know they are fairly low percentage rates with myself and many of the examiners I speak with.  
Sackett

Come on, give me a number.  What is the percentage rate?

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #22 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 5:06am
Quote:
False Positives with “Suspicious” Thresholds.

Polygraph screening protocols that can identify a large fraction of serious security violators can be expected to incorrectly implicate at least hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of innocent employees for each spy or other serious security violator correctly identified.

NAS Report  (page 218)

N.P.C.,

You probably already know this, but If a person fails a preemployment polygraph, there is NO follow up investigtation to confirm whether he really was lying or telling the truth.  The application is tossed, and the applicant starts searching for answers.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

According to Polygrapher:  Irregular breathing must mean contermeasures

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X