Normal Topic Bad CQ issue (Read 2644 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box frustrated
New User

Bad CQ issue
Apr 19th, 2008 at 3:01pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Okay, for the pro-poly people out there (and anyone else).  I just had a screening polygraph and was told I was deceptive in response to all of the relevant questions.  (You can believe that or not, I don't care, but it's not really important to the question below.)

Since then, I've done a some research and identified both of the control questions I was asked.  If I know the two probable or "known" lie control questions are both questions to which I can provide the expected response honestly, and therefore not trigger the fight-or-flight response, what should I do?  Tell the examiner to think up some new control questions?  Or just accept the fact that I've been FUBARed?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Re: Bad CQ issue
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 3:46pm
frustrated wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 3:01pm:
Okay, for the pro-poly people out there (and anyone else).  I just had a screening polygraph and was told I was deceptive in response to all of the relevant questions.  (You can believe that or not, I don't care, but it's not really important to the question below.)

Since then, I've done a some research and identified both of the control questions I was asked.  If I know the two probable or "known" lie control questions are both questions to which I can provide the expected response honestly, and therefore not trigger the fight-or-flight response, what should I do?  Tell the examiner to think up some new control questions?  Or just accept the fact that I've been FUBARed?

I think you are a lying rat-f**k who doesn't deserve a job as a Wal-Mart greeter, let alone the job yo uapplied for.  All relevant quesitons?  No way you were the victim of a false-positive, because polygraphs are 95+ percent accurate, and assuming there were 5 relevant questions, that would mean the chances that you were the victim of a false positive would be less than the chance of being struck by lightening.  Shocked

BTW, since you are new here, you need to know I am just kidding.  Welcome to the FPC, (false postive club).

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 4:18pm
Yeah, I figured from your user id that you were pulling my leg.  There are obviously more details to the examination that would explain the "all relevant questions" and I don't want to go into them.  Suffice to say, in addition to the CQ issue, I think the examiner also failed to properly prepare me.  I'm not looking to get into a p***ing contest with the pro-poly people... They say their science is valid, fine; even with the claimed 90+% accuracy rate, and for the sake of argument I'll accept that as an acceptable rate in the protection of national secrets and as the best "imperfect" solution. Nonetheless, there is still ~10% rate of screw-ups, and for the sake of argument and clearing the air and being honest with the examiner, I just want to hear what their suggestions would be to handling that kind of issue for someone who doesn't want to use countermeasures but who knows he's being asked a PL CQ to which his expected response is also the honest response.  Tell the examiner to use a control method other than the known/probable lie?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:02pm
frustrated,

the principle is that if you fail at one question, you fail the entire test.  I don't know anyone in my past experience that failed ALL screening questions I asked.  One, maybe two but not all of them.

Are you being given another examination?  If so, don't try to augment your responses, or else when caught, you will be judged a cheat and certainly not given the position.

Sackett

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:33pm
sackett wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:02pm:
frustrated,

the principle is that if you fail at one question, you fail the entire test.
Without going into the details, there is something to what you just said in respect to my situation.  Also, thank you for the polite, non-accusatory response.  I really just want to fix this.
Quote:
Are you being given another examination?  If so, don't try to augment your responses, or else when caught, you will be judged a cheat and certainly not given the position.

Yes I am. I spoke with my boss-to-be and when I explained all the details from start to finish he was amazed and angry that things had happened the way they did. Boss didn't go into details, but looking back on it, I think there were a number of small details that got screwed up in my exam that snowballed into one giant CF.

IP Logged

Bad CQ issue

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X