Normal Topic Personal Test (Read 4800 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Cabaliero
New User

Personal Test
Apr 16th, 2008 at 6:41am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am in the position to take a personal test. My wife thinks I cheated, which I didn't. I like to be an informed person and I read all I can from this site and others, including the book The lie behind ...

The more I read, the more I fear, because even I have nothing to hide it seems that this is more likely a subjective evaluation, and I am a very emotional person.

I have couple of questions for anybody who can help:

1. A personal test is rather similar with all test descibed in the book? I mean with control question and so on.

2. I've seen on some reality show that one poligrapher, when testing the competitors, gave immediately answer about pass/fail. For all I read, this is not possbile because the reaction needed to be compared. It was a test of only 3 questions anyway and one was irelevant. Is this possible?

3. Can my wife ask the questions? It will obviously induce an additional stress.

4. Being a personal test, I can say the truth for all control questions, because nobody except my wife and eventually the polygrapher can judge me for that. Shall I lie?

Fact is that I love my wife and my daughter, and my wife is pregnant with the second child. I love her and want to raise my children together. I cannot afford to fail the test, even I don't see any reason for that.

PS I don't live in the States, I'm from Europe.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Personal Test
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:37am
Cabaliero wrote on Apr 16th, 2008 at 6:41am:
1. A personal test is rather similar with all test descibed in the book? I mean with control question and so on.

The Control Question Test is the most commonly-used polygraph technique, although some polygraph operators use the relevant/irrelevant technique.

Quote:
2. I've seen on some reality show that one poligrapher, when testing the competitors, gave immediately answer about pass/fail. For all I read, this is not possbile because the reaction needed to be compared. It was a test of only 3 questions anyway and one was irelevant. Is this possible?

"Reality" TV shows are frequently scripted and staged. A polygrapher using standard techniques cannot call out the result of each question as it is asked (as Nick Savastano did in his recent polygraph "test" of Perez Hilton).

Quote:
3. Can my wife ask the questions? It will obviously induce an additional stress.

Again, while you may see such things done for show business, it's standard practice for the polygraph operator to read the questions.

Quote:
4. Being a personal test, I can say the truth for all control questions, because nobody except my wife and eventually the polygrapher can judge me for that. Shall I lie?

One should give the expected answer to control questions, whether or not it's true. For example, if the probable-lie control question, "Have you ever had sexual thoughts about a woman other than your spouse?" is asked, the expected answer is "no," and that's the answer one should give.

Quote:
Fact is that I love my wife and my daughter, and my wife is pregnant with the second child. I love her and want to raise my children together. I cannot afford to fail the test, even I don't see any reason for that.

Even the use of countermeasures provides no guarantee of passing this invalid test. I think your best option is to refuse the lie detector and to share with your wife the information about polygraphy that you've found here. The "test" is a pseudoscientific fraud and simply not to be relied upon for any purpose.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Cabaliero
New User

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 9:12am
Thank you for your answer. Congrats for this site.

I already accepted when she first had the idea. It was impulsive from my side. It will make me look unfaithfull if I now decline, even thou it's justified from all the info I have read. Most probably I will take my chances. Will let you know the result.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 3:50pm
Fortunately or not for this site, taking a polygraph is not the answer to your wife's suspicions.  She has her suspicions for a reason, whether made up or real.  If you take a test and pass, she may very well think you used what you read here in TLBTLD (even though there is no credible research to establish the usefullness or viability of the information provided here while "protecting yourself"; and, no-one has ever successfully proven that countermeasures actually work beyond their promotion within this site).  If you fail, then your problems are just beginning and her suspicions will be realized.

I  suggest counseling and vent out the issues between you.  Also, the possibility exists you may get an inexperienced or unqualified examiner and bad results may follow.   

This is a matter of trust.  Work it out rather than taking a polygraph.  You'll thank me later.

Sackett

P.S.  And yes, in case you are new, I am a polygraph examiner.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 6:16pm
You'll get much better results if you have the test conducted in a closet.

Do you have a large walk-in closet?

I mention this because a celeb was recently tested in his wife's closet.

DUDE!  You are letting the "pop culture" rule your marriage.

I don't care what you may have seen on TV, the test is NOT reliable!

Does your wife get her info from watching Oprah and Dr. Phil?

"Reality" shows on TV, are really NOT reality!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 6:21pm
[quote....]even though there is no credible research to establish the usefullness or viability of the information provided here while "protecting yourself"; and, no-one has ever successfully proven that countermeasures actually work beyond their promotion within this site [/quote]

There is no credible research to establish the accuracy or scientific basis for polygraph testing.  Even though poligraphers routinely lie through their teeth telling test subjects that the test is 95-98% accurate.   

Caveat Emptor

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:52pm
sackett wrote on Apr 16th, 2008 at 3:50pm:
 Also, the possibility exists you may get an inexperienced or unqualified examiner and bad results may follow.  

That is because there is, (for the most part) no standard to which polygraphers must adhere to.  Take the advice of Sackett, forget the poly and get counseling.   

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ycrad508

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 11:46am
I am in exactly the same postion. I have agreed to take the polygraph test to prove my innocence. However I am terrified that I will still fail the test. I really am in a no win situation here. If I now tell my girlfriend that I do no want to do the tes then I look guilty. Then again if I do the test and fail then there is no way she will ever believe me again??

IP Logged

Personal Test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X