Normal Topic Re-Application (Read 3620 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NancyDrew
New User

Re-Application
Apr 8th, 2008 at 10:32pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Last year I rec'd a COE for the position of Intel Analyst. (The interviewer called me 48 hours after I returned home from the interview to tell me they planned to make a COE).

I had 2 sessions with the poly, and the examiner told me she was going to recommend a pass. (And I wasn't sent home immediately after the session!) I had the medicals and psych. I rec'd Embarrassedthe thin white envelope about 3 weeks later, after the background check was begun. I was found "unsuitable" but the letter encouraged me to reapply after a year if I think I knew what the problem was.

I can only think the credit check held me back. I was in the middle of a re-fi and paying off about $35k of credit card debt.

I'm squeaky clean, no smoke since 2002 and only ever that. Great employment history though lots of schooling and multiple part time jobs, currently self employed.

I am coming up on a year this next week. I plan to reapply.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? Are there any statistics on reapplication? Does anyone have any feedback as I enter the process again?

Nancy Drew Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Re-Application
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 2:26am
Dear Nancy Drew,

The FBI has an obligation to tell you what they "think was the problem."

If you had a bad credit history or anything financial, I do not think they would have even considered offering you an option or re-applying.  They are very concerned about financial obligations as most of the past spies caught in the FBI did what they did for relatively little money.

My best guess is that someone they interviewed stated that you had smoked marijuana within the three year time frame of application and they wanted you to wait another year so you were out of that window.  I know you stated that you have not done anything since 2003 but all it take is one person who states that they witnessed or smoked with you and it is history, no questions asked. 

You will need more than one clean year out of debt to convince them if you have major financial debt loads in ratio to your income and assets.

You have to understand as special as you think they are, the FBI gets hundreds of thousands of applicants every year to pick and choose from.  It is a numbers game.  They expect to go through 500 to 1000 applicants to get one person through all stages to employment.  Slightest problem and they move on to the next applicant.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 3:01am
Nancy,

OK, you were told you passed but were not considered?  Seems NOT to be a polygraph issue.   

Were told you were unsuitable?  Think you should reapply?  What have you done to make yourself "suitable" now, that is different from before?

Just curious...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NancyDrew
New User

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 3:45am
I think that's right I don;t think it was poly.

I heard that credit scores had to be above 700. (Not sure now after the mortgage implosion). I was in the middle of re-fi and paid a few credit cards off. My scores were in the 690's.

I have indeed cleaned all that up and my scores are in the mid 730s.  Grin

Wondering if anyone knows about the credit score cutoff...

Nancy Drew

IP Logged

Re-Application

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X