Normal Topic Simple CM question (Read 7466 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box emanon249
New User

Simple CM question
Mar 24th, 2008 at 6:40am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am unclear on one of the (probably very simple) points in the countermeasure chapter of TLBTLD:

When applying a countermeasure during a control question, is the examinee supposed to give a true or false answer?  In other words, if the question is "Have you ever stolen anything" should one answer yes or no before applying the countermeasure?

Anyone know?

By the way, Mr. Maschke, I recently sent you a PM asking a similar question but decided to post it here as well.  Please disregard the PM and pardon the duplication of my question.

Regards all...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Simple CM question
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 7:05am
One should give the expected answer to the control question. It doesn't matter whether it is true or not. For example, if the control question is, "Did you ever drive while under the influence of alcohol?" the expected answer is "no." If the control question is, "Are you a truly honest person?" the expected answer is "yes."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box emanon249
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 7:23am
Understood. 

Thank you sir and allow me once again to express my appreciation for what you're doing. 

Respectfully-

J

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CarRamRod

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 8:08pm
George, 

I'm a bit confused still. I've read chapter 3 of TBTLDT mulitple times and I'm still having a bit of trouble with understanding how i am supposed to answer on the control questions. I

n an earlier response to this thread you posted that we are to answer with the expected answer whether or not is it true. So what you're telling me is even though I've listed on my background packet that I have driven drunk before, I should still answer no? 

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 4:10pm
Quote:
George, 

I'm a bit confused still. I've read chapter 3 of TBTLDT mulitple times and I'm still having a bit of trouble with understanding how i am supposed to answer on the control questions. I

n an earlier response to this thread you posted that we are to answer with the expected answer whether or not is it true. So what you're telling me is even though I've listed on my background packet that I have driven drunk before, I should still answer no? 

Thanks for your help.

You should have filled out your background packet truthfully.  Your answers during all phases of the polygraph should correspond to your answers from the background packet.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 7:56pm
yes, i did fill out the answers on the BI packet truthfully.

my confusion lies in how to answer for example, the question regarding drunk driving. if the expected answer is "no", but i have done it and it reflects on my BI packet, i have to answer "yes". am i correct? 

basically from my understanding, you employ CMs when you answer untruthfully to a control question? ive read chapter 3 and 4 and im still somewhat confused. thanks for you help in advance..

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 4:13am
CarRamRod,

It would be pretty stupid to deny behaviors you've admitted to in a pre-employment questionnaire (which, as Sergeant1107 noted, you should have completed truthfully). As noted in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, one shouldn't try to categorize each question in such a questionnaire as relevant, irrelevant, or "control." Answers to questions on such forms are typically used to help the polygrapher in formulating control questions, and the questions asked in the polygraph suite may differ from those on the questionnaire.

Say you've admitted to having driven after drinking alcoholic beverages. If the polygrapher is going to use a probable-lie control question about this behavior, he'll press you for details about each instance on which you've driven while under the influence of alcohol and then ask a control question along the lines of "Other than what you told me, did you ever drive while under the influence of alcohol?" The expected answer is "No." At this point, it doesn't matter whether your answer to this control question is true or not. What matters (as far as passing this invalid test is concerned) is that your physiological responses to this control question need to be greater than your responses to the corresponding relevant question.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:44am
George,

Thanks for your helping me clear my confusion on this matter. So have the example control question you gave, I answer the expected answer and then employ a CM as described in TLBTLD? Thanks again in advance for your help.

IP Logged

Simple CM question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X