Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Video and/or Sound Recording of Polygraphs (Read 28658 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Re: Video and/or Sound Recording of Polygraphs
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:07pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
You also know nothing of the posters.  You assume, possibly incorrectly, because it fits your view of the world that ALL the people here complaining about the way they were treated are being, in fact, truthful.  Well, you assume that as long as their not pro-polygraph, anyway... awful fair of you!

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:23pm
sackett wrote on Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:07pm:
You also know nothing of the posters.  You assume, possibly incorrectly, because it fits your view of the world that ALL the people here complaining about the way they were treated are being, in fact, truthful.  Well, you assume that as long as their not pro-polygraph, anyway... awful fair of you!

Sackett

Well, Yes I guess your right and this board could be filled with people that come on here to just come up with untrue stories but then of course that would apply to you too Sackett we don't know that anything you say is true either.
So lets not get caught up in that. I think most readers can work through what they can or cannot believe and what is probably true.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 8:18pm
Sackett

You are correct about me not knowing the posters either. Doesn't have anything to do with pro or anti. There have been some that posted about their trials and troubles at the hands of their polygrapher and how they were falsely failed that I immediately pegged as being untruthful because of the way they explained it. As it turned out, I was right. Others have been polygraphers posting as anti's that I immediately pegged as polygraphers and, yes, as it turned out, I was right. It's not fair to judge all false positives as liars when their experiences jibe.

I try to be fair in my discussions with polygraphers until they start with the smart-ass snippets, like the one who suggested that I re-apply (implying that I failed a test) and then I dramatically respond just like you people do in coming to the defence of all polygraphers thinking they are not capable of wrong decissions regardless.  As I have posted before, I took one long before EPPA, purposely lied (hell I knew CMs then) passed, got the job and raised the company's profits 16% the first year. Didn't get compensated for my hard work so I utilized my middle finger and left.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 4:11pm
...and what about the "anti" posters, posting as multiple personalities here.  In other words, trying to make this board look active with many posters and victims, when in fact, there are VERY few...?

Sackett

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 6:33pm
Sackett

I don't condone falsehoods from EITHER side. If a post isn't blantant enough for me to decide (only a personal suspicion), I PM George for further info. If my suspicion is unfounded, I let it go. I don't automatically jump up and accuse them of being liars, turncoats, etc., like most polygraphers who visit this site because I can't confirm it and neither can you. All of you seem to feel that, by doing this, it is helping your cause. I personally feel that it is hurting your cause. I have learned from this site that, if I was to ever have to take a pre-employment polygraph, I would go in with the feeling that this guy/gal is going to treat me with unethical, rude, and maybe illegal behavior and I would be prepaired. I guarantee you I would beat you. This is the message that most of you leave in your posts. Given, a few of you are not like this, but how would I know what kind of personality I was going to meet?

"...and what about the "anti" posters, posting as multiple personalities here". Can you back up that statement with percentages of many against VERY few with true facts or are you guessing again?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 6:57pm
Twoblock wrote on Mar 30th, 2008 at 6:33pm:
Sackett

I don't condone falsehoods from EITHER side. If a post isn't blantant enough for me to decide (only a personal suspicion), I PM George for further info. If my suspicion is unfounded, I let it go. I don't automatically jump up and accuse them of being liars, turncoats, etc., like most polygraphers who visit this site because I can't confirm it and neither can you. All of you seem to feel that, by doing this, it is helping your cause. I personally feel that it is hurting your cause. I have learned from this site that, if I was to ever have to take a pre-employment polygraph, I would go in with the feeling that this guy/gal is going to treat me with unethical, rude, and maybe illegal behavior and I would be prepaired. I guarantee you I would beat you. This is the message that most of you leave in your posts. Given, a few of you are not like this, but how would I know what kind of personality I was going to meet?

"...and what about the "anti" posters, posting as multiple personalities here". Can you back up that statement with percentages of many against VERY few with true facts or are you guessing again?

You make an interesting statement.  Especially given that every examiner on this board has been attacked as liars, unethical charletons, rude and criminal in nature and actions.  Many of the anti posters here are caught up in a fanatical cause.  That's OK, you'll attack me as doing the same, when all I do is my job.  Difference is, you took a test, apparently failed and now crusade against it; while I perform them and make my living from them and successfully I might add.

If you don't "get" a statement, you PM George?  That's not seemingly unbias on your part; therefore, your intentions and purpose are obvious.

This site is not about any truth, but how to attack polygraph and make it less viable.  Call it a conspiracy, call it a crusade, call it freedom of information, call it a chat room, I don't care.  Problem is, as previously stated to Mr Cullen, it is NOT going to go away!  The minimal efforts here hardly have any effect on the use of polygraph as a whole, while examiners are in fact working hard to get standardized and more professional.  This site does in fact help in that effort.

As for pre-employment testing.  Examinees who come for pre-employments who "play" around in the test or display an attitude, will most likely not get the job they desparately want and probably worked hard for.  So who's really tricking and being dishonest to whom...?  

With only one recent claim that CM's worked (ie, sniper; and even he admitted he didn't really need them...)  where are the many examinees who I (and others like me) catch on a fairly frequent basis?

Let's agree to disagree!  

Sackett   

P.S.  As for "anti" poster imposters?  Yes, it is apparent, but no, I can't prove it to you.  Read the typos, misspellings and stories and they are clearly made by more than one, BUT, many are also as obviously repeated by the same, under a different name.  As for providing proof of anything.  Can you provide me proof that examiners can not identify CM's better than "chance"?  Or better, can you provide me proof that CM's actually work?   Empty challenges, by either side, mean nothing.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:41pm
Sackett

Re: Your first paragraph. Do you skim read? You should read for detail. I said that I took ONE (1) pre-employment poly, purposely lied (because I didn't believe in them then but was too busy for a crusade then), passed and got the job. I really didn't want the job, but in any undertaking I do my very best. I have been successfully self employed since 1972. Never have and wouldn't apply for a government job. (Take that back. I volenteered for the Navy, spent 4 years and loved it). No need what so ever for an employment poly. Yet, you are the second polygrapher to accuse me of doing so and failing. Why do you do that?

I may have, but I don't remember ever personally attacking you i.e. calling names making wild accusations, etc. I  have probably over-dramatized a few of my responses to you even though you are one of the more decent polygraphers to use these boards. Also, I believe you do the best job that you can in what ever you do and would never accuse you of failing a poly that you didn't take. Ha.

At any rate, I agree with you that the polygraph will be around for awhile. Probably until we force poluted-crats and federal judges to take one and pass it to accept or retain their jobs. If that ever happens the poly will go away.

I really have fun here, but the time has come for fun to stop and work to begin. Therefore I will not be monitoring these board much for the next 5 months. Maybe for another few days. If that's case, all have a good summer. You too, Sackett. I have no hard feelings toward you personally.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 11:46pm
sackett wrote on Mar 30th, 2008 at 4:11pm:
...and what about the "anti" posters, posting as multiple personalities here.  In other words, trying to make this board look active with many posters and victims, when in fact, there are VERY few...?

Sackett

And who would these people be, praytell?

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #23 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 1:47am
sackett wrote on Mar 30th, 2008 at 6:57pm:
P.S.  As for "anti" poster imposters?  Yes, it is apparent, but no, I can't prove it to you.  Read the typos, misspellings and stories and they are clearly made by more than one, BUT, many are also as obviously repeated by the same, under a different name.  As for providing proof of anything.  Can you provide me proof that examiners can not identify CM's better than "chance"?  Or better, can you provide me proof that CM's actually work?   Empty challenges, by either side, mean nothing.

My experiences in failing three polygraphs despite being completely truthful in all of them have proven to my satisfaction that polygraphs are not reliable detectors of truth or deception.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #24 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 2:06am
Quote:
My experiences in failing three polygraphs despite being completely truthful in all of them have proven to my satisfaction that polygraphs are not reliable detectors of truth or deception.

Well, they have to make a living.

Besides, got anything better to replace it?

Blah! Blah! Blah!

P.S.  How do you KNOW you were telling the truth?   Undecided

They claim a 95-98% accuracy rate.  What are the chances you were in that exceptional 3-5% on THREE SEPARATE TESTS.

I find that hard to believe!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:54am
Kind of fell off of the thread here.

Polygraph users do not like the idea that someone could "cherry-pick" sound bites from an exam to take a question out of context and make the exam looked like it was rigged. 

Polygraph examinees do not like the idea of having examiners "cherry-pick" reactions and treating them as "deception" bases solely on personel perception or prejudice.

I cannot find any economic reason to not record an exam with "edit proof" technology to ensure that questions or answers are not taken out of context.

Recordings should be available for all exams and make me question any examiner who refuses to do so.

All posting polygraph examiners state they would record all exams yet so many still do not citing weak excuses about "privacy."  Polygraph questions are very intrusive and no examiner ever respects any ones right to not answer on the basis of privacy.

All exams should be audio recorded at a minimum.  End of debate.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TheNoLieGuy4U
Senior User

Reply #26 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 2:08am
      Fair Chance,

I think you make some very good points in that no real professional should fear their test being video taped and/or audio taped as to show the event later to authorized concerned parties.  One does however give up certain privacy rights when applying for a job that pays via taxpayer money, but ofcourse those areas that an examiner may no go into are covered by labor law in both federal and your respective State statutes / or labor case law.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 3:21pm
The_Wolf

Sackett seems to have a problem answering my questions so I wonder, since you seem to be a fairly straight shooter, if you might give it a shot.

Earlier on this thread I ask him "How far off am I". To date no response.

Sackett

Only you can answer my direct question of "Why do you do that" in response to your apparent accusation that I took a pre-employment poly and failed. This after I had explained that I took one (only ONE), passed and got the job.

To asnwer you question "Does CMs really work)? Yes they really do work. I used them and passed with flying colors on my ONE test in the 1960s.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 3:36pm
twoblock,

yes, I do skim read.  Reason is, much of the blustery garbage I read here is just that.  I'm interested in intelligent discussions not hearing about the whining and complaining about how bad my profession is.   
Opinions are like, well, you know the rest...

Having said that, I recognize you took one test, way, long time ago and that you reportedly used CM's.  OK.  Times change and so do (slowly) the ability of examiners.  When you took your test, grandfathering of training was still acceptable.  No longer.

What question are you saying I failed to answer?  I'll bet I answered it somewhere here and you might be just as guilty of skim reading... 

Sackett

P.S.  I agree.  No anomosity.  Have a good summer and "see" you when you get back.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 11:05pm
Quote:
I'm interested in intelligent discussions not hearing about the whining and complaining about how bad my profession is. 

Then the following might be of interest to you:

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309084369

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Video and/or Sound Recording of Polygraphs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X