Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I haveread the book and just need to tie up some loose ends (Read 13450 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Re: I haveread the book and just need to tie up some loose ends
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
TheNoLieGuy4U wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 3:49am:
      NoPolyCop,

Lately you seem like a hamster in a wheel.  You seem to be hung up on the word OPINION, ART, and ASSUMPTION.  Let me see if I can be of some help.  For example doesn't a cadiologist physician render their medical opinion based quite often on an EKG chart as the person having a certain condition?  Isn't medicine known both as an "Art "and a Science  ?  Might that Doctor, in the best interest of both the patient and the hospital, render such an "opinion"  based on their training, and assume that what they see in their charts leads them to a conclusion. Don't Doctors, Coroners, and others testify to their professional Opinions based on the evidence presented to them as someone trained in that speciality.  Why should polygraph be any different.  You have assumed bias where none can be shown to exist.  Mathamatically polygraph clears more people than it ever fails in the elimination of suspects.  Further, in the pre-employment arena, most people clearly pass their tests.  Doing so does not guarentee a job, but rather has them move into a more well defined pool from which hirings take place after a complete background.  
   From what you write it would seem you are so biased that you can't place common sense definitions of words as they apply to other professions on the polygraph profession, so are you really capable of having a "Discussion" on it.  Get the emotion out of it, reduce it down to real world concepts, and judge them on that.  

NLG:

The difference between a polygraphist and a cardiologist is about 10+ years of education and study.  Trade school v. medical school.  There, no emotion, just fact.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:41pm
sackett wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 4:05am:
"n.p.c.",

What question have I refused to answer?  

Sackett

I frankly don't have the time to review the many posts where I have asked you yes or no questions, but you beat around the bush and didn't respond.  I think it all started when you claimed the lie detector test isn't really about detecting lies.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 2:17pm
nopolycop wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:41pm:
"n.p.c.",

Sackett

I frankly don't have the time to review the many posts where I have asked you yes or no questions, but you beat around the bush and didn't respond.  I think it all started when you claimed the lie detector test isn't really about detecting lies.

No doubt.  Of course, the problem with many of the questions posed on this board is that they can not be answered with a simple yes or no.  Therefore, when an explanation is offered to support an answer (i.e. going beyond simply answering yes of no) and then we're accused of not answering.  Sheeesh...

Sackett

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 4:58pm
sackett wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 2:17pm:
nopolycop wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:41pm:
"n.p.c.",

Sackett

I frankly don't have the time to review the many posts where I have asked you yes or no questions, but you beat around the bush and didn't respond.  I think it all started when you claimed the lie detector test isn't really about detecting lies.

No doubt.  Of course, the problem with many of the questions posed on this board is that they can not be answered with a simple yes or no.  Therefore, when an explanation is offered to support an answer (i.e. going beyond simply answering yes of no) and then we're accused of not answering.  Sheeesh...

Sackett

The problem is, the explanation is offered without the answer.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 5:34pm
What the hell is the difference?!  An explanation IS an answer when it applies to the original question.

If you guys would simply get off your soapbox for a minute and stop drinking the Kool-aide, you might be able to actually have an intelligent conversation without maniacal diatribe related to the mantra of the camp...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 8:44pm
sackett wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 5:34pm:
What the hell is the difference?!  An explanation IS an answer when it applies to the original question.

If you guys would simply get off your soapbox for a minute and stop drinking the Kool-aide, you might be able to actually have an intelligent conversation without maniacal diatribe related to the mantra of the camp...

Sackett

KOOL AIDE!!! That's all you do is drnk the KOOL AIDE and come here with the mantra that Poligraphs are reliable ( except of course when you have admitted that they are not) 
Seems like you are the one full of KOOL AIDE!!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 1:36am
If polygraph didn't work, I wouldn't be doing it...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 2:32am
Quote:

If man were meant to fly, he'd have wings!

If  "bleeding" sick people in the 17th century (by physicians of the day) didn't work, they wouldn't have done it!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 4:04am
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 2:32am:
Quote:

If  "bleeding" sick people in the 17th century (by physicians of the day) didn't work, they wouldn't have done it!

If you truly understood that which you attacked, with the venom of the rhetoric you possessed from this site, then half of that which you have as possessed knowledge, would be nothing more than the whisper of a misguided belief you believe you posess...

Misguide and disinform those who read this board, onward...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #24 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 4:07am
sackett wrote on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 4:04am:
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 2:32am:
Quote:

If  "bleeding" sick people in the 17th century (by physicians of the day) didn't work, they wouldn't have done it!

If you truly understood that which you attacked, with the venom of the rhetoric you possessed from this site, then half of that which you have as possessed knowledge, would be nothing more than the whisper of a misguided belief you believe you posess...

Misguide and disinform those who read this board, onward...

Sackett

You know by the way you express your self it's amazing you even have a job.
But we are working on that.  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 4:18am
Quote:
if you truly understood that which you attacked, with the venom of the rhetoric you possessed from this site, then half of that which you have as possessed knowledge, would be nothing more than the whisper of a misguided belief you believe you posess...

Forget me then.

How about the many credible scientific researchers at the NAS.  Are they "know-nothings"?  Or are you so pompous as to think you know more than they?

I think not.

TC

P.S.  You getting to be almost as tedious as TLG!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

I haveread the book and just need to tie up some loose ends

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X