Normal Topic My issue and two questions (Read 2375 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Indiana73
User

My issue and two questions
Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My issue is that I failed a polygraph last year, and am scheduled for another (different agency) next week.

My first question is, if I recall, they are going to ask if I have formed any opinions about the test.  How should I answer?  "It's hard for me not to be just the least bit skeptical because I failed one a year ago and never lied once during the exam?"  That's the honest answer.

My second question:  I have been considering taking Ativan before the polygraph.  I emailed a question to my HR contact in the agency and her view was to "have a doctor's note with you."  Are there any other experiences where someone has taken anti-anxiety meds before the exam?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Re: My issue and two questions
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 3:52pm
Indiana73 wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:41pm:
My issue is that I failed a polygraph last year, and am scheduled for another (different agency) next week.

My first question is, if I recall, they are going to ask if I have formed any opinions about the test.  How should I answer?  "It's hard for me not to be just the least bit skeptical because I failed one a year ago and never lied once during the exam?"  That's the honest answer.

My second question:  I have been considering taking Ativan before the polygraph.  I emailed a question to my HR contact in the agency and her view was to "have a doctor's note with you."  Are there any other experiences where someone has taken anti-anxiety meds before the exam?

If it were me, I would answer honestly, stating that you had no confidence that the polygraph can detect deception, because you failed a previous one where you did not lie.   

I would then tell the examiner that despite this belief, you are willing to take this polygraph because getting the job means more to you than the possibility of being branded a liar.

I would then take the test, and answer the questions honestly.  Whether you choose to use any counter measures, is your business.

BTW, this is what I did on my last test, and the examiner passed me.  Whether or not I used countermeasures, is, as discussed, my business.

Be prepared to fail though, because the test cannot detect deception, nor can it verify honesty.  (See my signature line).

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 6:12pm
Quote:
I failed one a year ago and never lied once during the exam?"

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!   

The test is 95% accurate. +/- 1.2354% with a std of 1.234895796

Indiana,

Just kidding.  You now know from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE that you can fail the test YET TELL THE TRUTH.

The polygraphers on this board would have you believe that you must be consciously or unconsciously omitting something if you "react".

Just answer the relevant questions truthfully, and ignore their repeated claims that you must be "holding back".

The purpose of the intel agency tests is to get you talking, and keep you talking, to see what they can get you to admit.

DON'T PLAY THEIR GAME!

You sound a lot like me before my second test.  Don't take drugs, just go in there and know it for what it is, a "con job".  Make NO ADMISSIONS concerning a relevant question, no matter how insignificant you might think of it.  If they have a "reaction" that they must account for, they will take your admission and blow it out of all proportion.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 6:17pm
Whoops!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TheNoLieGuy4U
Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 11:37pm
        Indiana73,

I have been waiting for you to show up, and do want you to report back after your next test experience.  First, I understand you do want this job, and have time invested in getting to this stage.  You also know that the agency you are applying to, as with many other agencies, have a shortage of personnel.  At this point, you have had one dissapointment with your first exam.  You are now at what is known as the fork in the road.  There are those here who will tell you to try and cheat and boost your reactions to some questions.  Consider the source.  Most of them don't have the very job you want.  I will tell you that if you tell the truth, and don't try to rationalize your way on answers, you will know you are telling the truth, and the questions will seem easy.  If you choose to try and cheat then don't be surprised at another outcome which does not move you forward in the process.  Be proud of who you are, demonstrate from your life experience and habits that you are a low risk hiring decision, and you should get a shot at it. There are no perfect human beings, and don't hold yourself to an artificially high standard.  The currency of commitment is Truth, and you can tell that, and still have a shot at your dream.  Come in wearing your Sunday best (Book: Dress for Success by Malloy), be well spoken and concise, and don't gloss over historical truth, or elaborate where it is not needed.  The Examiner has probably done many interviews and tests prior to you, and let him take the lead and no doubt you'll do well.  If it does happen to be the same examiner as before, let him know that you are career driven, want and need the job, and will answer any question to clear up any prior issues on the day of your test.  Remember, that Examiner, whether in house for that department, or an outside contrtactor; wants to assist his/her agency in meeting their hiring goals.  There are no real magic shortcuts other than using your best business sense.  Your test is an extention of your background, so get it right for your own sake.   

Best of Luck, and please do report back !!!  The choice is yours !

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:50am
TheNoLieGuy4U wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 11:37pm:
        Indiana73,

I have been waiting for you to show up, and do want you to report back after your next test experience.  First, I understand you do want this job, and have time invested in getting to this stage.  You also know that the agency you are applying to, as with many other agencies, have a shortage of personnel.  At this point, you have had one dissapointment with your first exam.  You are now at what is known as the fork in the road.  There are those here who will tell you to try and cheat and boost your reactions to some questions.  Consider the source.  Most of them don't have the very job you want.  I will tell you that if you tell the truth, and don't try to rationalize your way on answers, you will know you are telling the truth, and the questions will seem easy.  If you choose to try and cheat then don't be surprised at another outcome which does not move you forward in the process.  Be proud of who you are, demonstrate from your life experience and habits that you are a low risk hiring decision, and you should get a shot at it. There are no perfect human beings, and don't hold yourself to an artificially high standard.  The currency of commitment is Truth, and you can tell that, and still have a shot at your dream.  Come in wearing your Sunday best (Book: Dress for Success by Malloy), be well spoken and concise, and don't gloss over historical truth, or elaborate where it is not needed.  The Examiner has probably done many interviews and tests prior to you, and let him take the lead and no doubt you'll do well.  If it does happen to be the same examiner as before, let him know that you are career driven, want and need the job, and will answer any question to clear up any prior issues on the day of your test.  Remember, that Examiner, whether in house for that department, or an outside contrtactor; wants to assist his/her agency in meeting their hiring goals.  There are no real magic shortcuts other than using your best business sense.  Your test is an extention of your background, so get it right for your own sake.  

Best of Luck, and please do report back !!!  The choice is yours !  

Wow this looks like it came from hallmark!! 
However it skims over the reason why indiana first came here.
HE FAILED A POLY LAST YEAR DESPITE BEING TRUTHFULL. 
Now you sit there and tell him that it was just a disapointment and that he should go in there and be truthfull. 
I do agree but ......... he was truthfull last time and FAILED. 
There is a better chance that he will react to questions this time around based on his previous experinece, not to mention that his new examiner will most likely assume that he lies based on the previous results.
I feel for you indiana, but it seems that your a victim of the Poly.
Here you are a good candidate denied a dream job because of a stupid unscientific test.
And this poster wants to make sense of it.   WOW  Good luck to you.

IP Logged

My issue and two questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X