Normal Topic US Marshal Service (Read 29624 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box curious123
New User

US Marshal Service
Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:04pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
When I was 15, a few of my friends and I committed an act of vandalism against a bus near my home. It was a stupid thing to do, and I have never done anything like it since. I was never arrested or convicted of anything, and I have no criminal record. I am curious, however, as to whether or not a background investigation would procure this information, and if it would be prudent to disclose this information during the interview so as to avoid appearing dishonest.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Re: US Marshal Service
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 1:01am
If that is the worst thing you ever did, you are a Saint.  If asked, disclose, and forget about it.  Good luck.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 4:21pm
Curious123,

while you don't mention how old you are now, I can assume you are at least 21.  Since it has been at least six years, I agree with "nopolycop."  When asked concerning criminal actions and behaviors, just disclose your youthful indiscretion and get it off your chest.   

No dept is looking for "saints."  If so, the rosters would be very short.  They simply want honest people they can trust.  Since vandalism, on a scale of criminal behaviors, is fairly insignificant, the last thing you want is for something like that to trip you up during testing.

Good luck, our country needs good "feds."

sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box curious123
New User

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:13pm
I am currently only 20. I am hoping to do the CSCEP program at my college. I will most likely be 22 by the time of my application to that program. 

Nopolycop- That is not the only negative thing about my past. I have smoked marijuana a few times, and I have consumed alcohol underage. However, I currently do not drink or smoke or take any drugs. It has been about 3 years since I smoked any pot, and I certainly don't plan on ever doing it again. Hopefully I am still at least a "pseduo-saint."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 3:00am
curious123 wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:13pm:
I am currently only 20. I am hoping to do the CSCEP program at my college. I will most likely be 22 by the time of my application to that program. 

Nopolycop- That is not the only negative thing about my past. I have smoked marijuana a few times, and I have consumed alcohol underage. However, I currently do not drink or smoke or take any drugs. It has been about 3 years since I smoked any pot, and I certainly don't plan on ever doing it again. Hopefully I am still at least a "pseduo-saint."

Well, there you go.  I knew it was too good to be true!!!

Good luck, stay on the straight and narrow, and you should breeze through any background check.  Remember, they guys doing your backgrounds and hiring grew up in the 70's...

NPC

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomegusto
Senior User

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 5:03pm
Just to clarify. Does the USMS use polygraph in there hiring process? 
Are they hiring? 
Just my two cents....

semper paratus

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Juan

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2011 at 6:16pm
I would like to know if you smoked weed in the past can you still become a U.S. marshal?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe Payne46

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:14am
Please tell me if you know. I used steroid pills when I was 16. "THAT'S IT" No pot, no nothing. I have applied for different police agencies w polygraph since 2002 and have been truthful about it. None will take me saying I have not passed it. I applied for Baltimore PD last year and they did not even let me know my test score after I wrote about my only sin at 16. I am 35 FCSake. I got into the Federal BOP because they don't use poly. I DID NOT TOLD. I hide it from them and I got the f..king job. They SUPER investigated me and of course all is good. I am one of the top 3 in my class. Now I want to apply for the USMarshals but I am affraid. What shall I do ?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lunch

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2012 at 1:53am
USMS does not poly for pre-employment nor have they ever.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sinaeb
New User

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 11:16pm
I noticed this... 

Can anyone confirm why renown, prestigious agencies such as the USMS and NYPD choose not to use the polygraph?

Not complaining, but it seems USMS rarely has "bad apples" in comparison to it's FLEO brothers and NYPD has just as many if not less than LAPD for officer misconduct...

Food for thought...

IP Logged

US Marshal Service

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X