Normal Topic failed a police investigation poly but... not guity!! (Read 2607 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

failed a police investigation poly but... not guity!!
Feb 2nd, 2008 at 7:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello All 
I have been reading posts here for a few weeks now.
Here is my story. I have been in a service business for many years with a prestine record of honesty and repeat business.
About a month ago I was accused by a customer of stealing a gun from his home where I was working.
Of course I was in shock at the accusation but understood that he may have believed this. At first he called just to ask if somehow the gun had been "misatkenly taken" when I was cleaning up.
I never saw or taken a gun while I was in his home. At that time I advised him to call the police to report it and that I would answer any questions if they needed to talk to me.
I did get a call from the PD the initial converstaion on the phone was pleasant and as I expected was just to cover all bases.
I was asked if I would submitt to a poly if nessisary and I responded "sure"
A week or so later I was called again by the PD and asked to come down and take a poly. I agreed. the date was made and I showed up never expecting to fail the test.
The poligrapher started by asking questions before the test and some were disturbing like, "if you did take this gun would you be inclined to tell us where it is to get this resolved" I was un nerved by this and other statements like, " we just want to get the gun back to Mr. X"
to the pre question I answered that I did not have a answer since it implies that I did this. Since I have spent no time pondering what I would do if I took it.
Anyway, I was hooked up and I was asked the seires of questions that have been read to me before the test 3 times in different order.
I could feel my heart thump when I was asked questions specific to the accusation.
After the test I was told by the poligrapher " I cannot clear you based on this"!!!
The detective then came back in and interrogated me for a while where I asked what I could possibly gain from this. My record is perfectly clean not even a moving traffic violtion, my credit is presitine and I have never been a gun owner.
Now, I from personal experienceknow that polygraphs mesure only your reation to a question and does NOT detect lies.
I still can't believe it and I shutter at the thought that many people are procecuted and lose jobs based on this scam.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Re: failed a police investigation poly but... not guity!!
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 4:50pm
BTW, I would sure appreciate any input on this that any one may have. Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 6:49pm
notguilty 1

See my reply to captpedo on "Share Your Polygraph and CVSA experience". That's the only thing that I can offer in your case. Unless agreeded to by both sides the polygraph can't clear you or convict you. Then I think it's up to the judge. In a criminal case, a failed poly is used only to bring on an interrogation without the benefit of legal counsel. If you are not guilty, then there can be no hard evidence to convict you. Hold your ground.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 7:41pm
Hey two
Thanks for your reply. I will check out the other post that you mentioned.
I was only asked to submitt to the poly supposedly "just to eliminate me" which I totally expected to be.
If they poly'ed me and it cannot help them in any way ...why do they do it?
I am holding my ground cause like I said to the Det. I have nothing to hide regardless what the poly says.
I know I am probably being oversensitive about it but I am very bothered by the thought that my reputation is somewhat tarnished because of this in spite of my prestine record of honesty and integrity.
I guess I will get over it ,but since I have been researching polygraphs I am very surprized at the weight that society puts on them ( me included proir to this) from law inforcement to the job market. I guess that is why poly's are not admisable in court!

IP Logged

failed a police investigation poly but... not guity!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X