Normal Topic Re: employment poly, press charges? (Read 1380 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Re: employment poly, press charges?
Jan 26th, 2008 at 11:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
dupy wrote on Jan 26th, 2008 at 1:18am:
Hello guys,
i'm about to take a poly test for a police dept, and found this web site. very helpful!!!!!!!!
however, i was wondering if they can press charges for any derogatory info they might find during the test.  Based on what i read , it seems that they can make up stories, and coerced you into confessing , because the examiner "thinks" you did something wrong in the past, even though it's not true. I read somewhere that a fireman in California, during a poly test was accused of molesting his kids and arrested because the poly examiner thinks he did it.?????!!!!!! Outrageous!!! basically they destroyed his life and career.
so, what are the procedures?
talk to you later.

To arrest anyone, there must be probable cause.  A confession of a crime would perhaps be reasonable suspicion, but they would need to have corraborating evidence to arrest.  For example, if you are in the chair and they accuse you of molesting your children and you admit to such, they would likely need to go interview the children before arresting you.

If you have any serious issues such as this in your background, don't try to be a cop, we don't need you.  Assuming you don't though, tell the truth on the background info form, tell the truth in the poly, and see how it goes.  But, certainly don't admit to an criminal behavior that you didn't commit, just to try to please them.  Remember, they can't really tell if  you are lying, they can just make that presumption based on experience and the physiological readings of the machine.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Re: employment poly, press charges?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X