Normal Topic Is the question have you ever used drugs or have you ever used drugs in the past 3 years? (Read 4735 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box HopefullyPasses
New User

Is the question have you ever used drugs or have you ever used drugs in the past 3 years?
Jan 17th, 2008 at 5:54am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I've marijuna once at 16 and never continued it.

Also, about the have you ever stolen anything from your employer question.  What should i answer? I HAVE stolen a car air freshener and a can of coke.

For the rest of the questions i'll be fine.  I didn't commit any crimes and have a clean record.

I just need help on the drugs and employer question.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:09am by HopefullyPasses »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Is the question have you ever used drugs or have you ever used drugs in the past 3 years?
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:11am
Not all agencies ask precisely the same questions regarding past drug use. But it is likely that during the pre-test phase, you'll be asked about the entire scope of your past illegal drug use, even if the agency's policy is that applicants must not have used an illegal drug in the past three years.

A question about ever having stolen anything from an employer is a probable-lie "control" question, examinees' answers to which are expected to be less than completely truthful. Whether to admit such petty theft as you mentioned is up to you. If you do make such minor admissions, the question will be re-phrased along the lines of, "Other than what you told me, did you ever steal anything from an employer?" and it will still be expected that your denial will be less than truthful.

See Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for further information on polygraph procedure.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Donna.Taylor
User

Re: Is the question have you ever used drugs or have you ever used drugs in the past 3 years?
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:26am
George W. Maschke wrote on Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:11am:
Not all agencies ask precisely the same questions regarding past drug use. But it is likely that during the pre-test phase, you'll be asked about the entire scope of your past illegal drug use, even if the agency's policy is that applicants must not have used an illegal drug in the past three years.

A question about ever having stolen anything from an employer is a probable-lie "control" question, examinees' answers to which are expected to be less than completely truthful. Whether to admit such petty theft as you mentioned is up to you. If you do make such minor admissions, the question will be re-phrased along the lines of, "Other than what you told me, did you ever steal anything from an employer?" and it will still be expected that your denial will be less than truthful.

See Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for further information on polygraph procedure.

George, bad info again - do not assume that a question about stealing from an employer is a CQ.  The client should mentions he/she took a car air freshener and a can of coke and list the possible value $1-$2-$5.  He/She will be asked if there is anything else.  Also admit the drug use. Depending on your age if it was one time and over two years ago you should be fine.  Call the recruiter or LE agency annonymously and ask if it would disqualify you.  I doubt it would.  Again, if there is time between these incidents with no other criminal activity you should be okay.

My next suggestion is for you to get away from this web site as it will psych you up and encourage you to manipulate your polygraph that will more than likely result in your disqualification and likelihood of never being hired at that agency. Shocked

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 7:02am
Donna,

It's true, as noted in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, that some agencies may use a question about theft from an employer as a relevant question (for example, "Did you ever steal money from an employer?") The LAPD uses as a relevant question "Have you stolen more than four hundred dollars in cash or property from an employer?"

But a general question about taking anything from an employer is almost certainly a probable-lie control question.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 8:00am
HopefullyPasses wrote on Jan 17th, 2008 at 5:54am:

Also, about the have you ever stolen anything from your employer question.  What should i answer? I HAVE stolen a car air freshener and a can of coke.

For the rest of the questions i'll be fine.  I didn't commit any crimes and have a clean record.

I don't think you need any help on the drugs and employer question.

Tell your background investigator or the examiner that you used marijuana once at age sixteen, and that you stole a can of soda and a car air freshener.   

If those are the only skeletons in your closet I wouldn't worry about it.  You should be aware, however, that passing a polygraph has little to do with whether you are telling the truth.  You should still answer the questions truthfully, but doing so is unfortunately not a guarantee that you will pass.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box candy
New User

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 12:35pm

I've marijuna once at 16 and never continued it. Also, about the have you ever stolen anything from your employer question.  What should i answer? I HAVE stolen a car air freshener and a can of coke. For the rest of the questions i'll be fine.  I didn't commit any crimes and have a clean record. I just need help on the drugs and employer question.

I think, be absolutely honest and truthful. Tell the examiner about your minor escapades. Then when you take the test you dont have to lie and you dont have to employ countermeasures. And if the examiner still tells you that "you're holding back" or "you havent told me the full truth", then you can look him straight in the eye and tell him that there def is a bulshitter in the room, but it isn't yourself.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 12:45pm

Also, about the have you ever stolen anything from your employer question.  What should i answer? I HAVE stolen a car air freshener and a can of coke.

For the rest of the questions i'll be fine.  I didn't commit any crimes and have a clean record.

From my experience, on the background investigatin package they will have you list your drug usage and your criminal history.  Then, if  you are questioned about it on the actual polygraph test, the questioning will go something like this:

"Other than what you have told us, have you ever used drugs?" (or stole from an employer) or whatever.

But, a more critical aspect of the situation will be your age.  You say you used marijuana at 16, an are worried about being asked about it three years later, correct? Age 19 is pretty young to be hired as a cop.  And, please don't get me wrong.  It's not about you personally, but when an administrator is choosing among several applicants, he/she will likely choose the older, presumably more mature applicant.  I started testing at age 19, and didn't have much luck until I was in my early 20'a.  In the meantime, go to school, get or keep your otherwise responsible job, and gain a good employment history.  Lastly, do not abuse  your credit.  Most employers run a credit check.

Good luck.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 12:53pm
candy wrote on Jan 17th, 2008 at 12:35pm:
Then when you take the test you dont have to lie and you dont have to employ countermeasures. And if the examiner still tells you that "you're holding back" or "you havent told me the full truth", then you can look him straight in the eye and tell him that there def is a bulshitter in the room, but it isn't yourself.

Candy:

While the use of countermeasures may be effective in helping a dishonest individual pass the polygraph, the use of countermeasures isn't limited to trying to manipulate the accuracy of the test.  Many people employ counterrmeasures on the control questions to simply make sure the test reflects their honesty.  Of course, some here will say that using any countermeasure indicates deceptive behaviour, and if detected, the polygrapher will faill the testee, even though the polygraph exam did not detect deception.

But, you are correct in your advice for this young man, I would advise him to simply tell the truth and accept the arbitrary and capricious results for what they are, an opinion based on psuedoscience.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Is the question have you ever used drugs or have you ever used drugs in the past 3 years?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X